Delta Strummers back in the groove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The Delta Strummers are getting ready to resume weekly rehearsals on Sept 10, following the Summer break. We have commitments to a Christmas concert and a full-blown concert in May, 2020 at El Campanil Theatre, Antioch, CA, so our practices will have these as a goal. The Maestro has been busy, and yesterday I published the first practice list of 23 numbers, including 7 Christmas numbers and several new-to-the-band songs, some of which came from open mic' sessions.

Having three ukuleles along in the coach allows me to 'proof' the lead sheets (by playing and singing), and allows me to practice on the weeks I won't be home in time for band rehearsals. I'm also able to update our online Song Book.

I've been playing guitar (or trying to) almost exclusively for the last couple of months, and I was surprised how quickly muscle memory returned when I switched to ukulele.

The Fall practice list has just been expanded to 24 Christmas numbers (we have only 11 rehearsals before our Christmas concert), and 17 non-Christmas numbers which will be included in the practice list that will be published in the new year in preparation for our May, 2020 concert. The recent open mic' sessions were particularly productive; Quite a few songs I hadn't heard of.

Fresh back from our summer trip, this week I returned to Delta Strummers weekly practice. Our Fall practice list is now up to 41 numbers, including 24 Christmas songs. We have a long way to go to be ready for our Christmas concert, but I have full confidence that our Music Director will whip us into shape for the show.

Fascinating playing Leroy The Redneck Reindeer with the band and a banjo as lead and solo.

Tom said:
I've been playing guitar (or trying to) almost exclusively for the last couple of months, and I was surprised how quickly muscle memory returned when I switched to ukulele.
You are so lucky. I too have been playing guitar lately and I have really lost it. My fingers just don't work like they used too. A combination of arthritis, memory and a few other things keep me from having the touch I used to have. Learning seems harder to me now. I don't have any problems with the uke but I am hopeless on guitar. I have been trying to relearn And I Love Her and I just cannot get the arpeggios to be smooth and clean.

I suspect you still play guitar far better than me  :(

I haven't played any of my keyboards for a year. I keep looking at one or other of them, telling myself I need to get back into it. But, I have another personal music project I've started working on ... more later.

Tom said:
I suspect you still play guitar far better than me  :(
I never worry about if someone is better than me or worse than me, it is not a competition, it is for fun. You can probably play rings around me on the ukulele.

I spent some time tonight trying to figure out why I am doing so poorly on AILH. I am trying to play lead, rhythm and sing all at the same time. Well not exactly the same time, I am switching off between lead and rhythm many times during the song. I need to stfu and stop singing and work on the guitar parts one at a time. I am also having problems with the arpeggios because of the ultra thin strings. It would be much easier on a nylon string classical guitar like George plays. I used to play it on a nylon string guitar but I haven't owned one in ages and I am not going to buy one for this song. I am going to try playing the arpeggios on the 8 string ukulele tomorrow.  But I got the lead part down cold, but it is about as simple a lead as was ever played by anyone. It is only 30 notes played very slowly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strandy1978
Back
Top Bottom