Remove slide out for add on room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RvFam7

Hi! New to the forum! We are RVers but we have another RV we?d like to convert to ?guesthouse? of sorts. We are very handy and enjoy being creative when it comes to RV remodeling. (We have also remodeled a house ourselves so we are no stranger to remodeling)  We?ve recently considered removing the couch/dining slide out of an rv- and I mean FULLY removing, imagine a square shaped gaping hole in your rv where your slideout once was - and doing an add-on room. A room you would step down into. Imagine nice wide steps down into your sunroom or whatever. Has anyone here done this or seen this? What are the consequences to removing your slide out? Any advice is needed! Thank you!

First, Welcome to the Forum.

I will assume that you are not going to move this RV after doing this renovation.

You will especially have to address the issue of sealing and making waterproof the connection between the add on room and the RV.

You will need to carefully determine what electrical or other connection that might exist between the main body and the slideout.

The heating and cooling of the add on room will probably be handled seperately as will the electrical wiring.
You might consider having a sliding door between them.

You may need a forklift or several helpers to remove the slideout depending on the size.

These are my initial thoughts.

I do have a lot of experience on fairly large slideout.

Zoning and permits are an entire extra issue.

Attachments

• rIMG_0825.jpg
    rIMG_0825.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 100
Welcome to The RV Forum!

Like Bill said, it can be done if you're not going to move the RV again.  Local building codes may come into play.  Essentially you're converting a vehicle into a semi-permanent addition to your property.

That said, the slideout room is secured to the RV by a perimeter frame around the inside edge of the slideout.  It presses against a header board in the RV wall when the room is extended.  Remove that perimeter frame and you have a box that can slide completely out of the RV.

If your slide has bottom arms that push the slideout box out, there's usually enough overlap that the slideout can be extended completely out of the RV with just the arms supporting it.  Then it's just a matter of picking it up and carrying it away.

In addition to the sage advice above, please give careful thought to the roof of the addition and how it will attach to the existing RV.  A trip to an RV park that has long-term campers with add-on rooms may give you some ideas.

Hi thank you for the advice. Yes the rv would be permanent and zoning isn?t an issue. Especially when you do things without county knowing, haha! Mind you, it would be a very tastefully done conversion. I managed to find a video of slide out removed and yes a forklift or something would be needed considering the height and weight of said slideout. The big concern is going to be sealant and making it leak proof. We live in mostly dry Southern California climate, yay for us. I really wish I could find a pic of someone having given this a whirl but I guess we?ll have to be trendsetters! If you or anyone else has more advice, I?ll gladly take it!

I added an 8x14 ft storage area to an existing 12x24 corrugated metal metal building and the problems are similar.  Used foam strips behind a 2x4 vertical where the sides attach. Roof is slanted and metal, with a piece of 12" flashing where it joins the building at the roofline.  Sealed the joint with Eternabond tape.  Depending on the shape & angle of the joints, you may be able to get pre-made angled flashing joints strips anywhere that metal roofing materials are sold. I suggest a metal roofing supply house rather than Lowes or depot - they will have much in the way of joints and finishing pieces.

HueyPilotVN said:
Had I thought about I could have posted the famous picture of Mr. Rainy checking out a slideout...LOL

While reading this post I had the feeling that would come up. :)( :)( :)( :'( :'( :'(

I have a way to removing the slide-out and you can refer:
Step 1 ? Remove the ?horseshoe? fitting, which is the molding where the slide-out moves. Pull the slide-out to the limit and allow its floor to drop so that they will be level with the actual floor of the RV.

Step 2 ? Support the extended slide-outs using cinder blocks and shims. You will need to use very sturdily and strong supports, have a wide footprint and can support the weight of the slide-out easily.

Step 3 ? Remove the fasteners holding the slide-out on the rams. These are usually pins that are in front of the rams. This is always the case regardless if the rams are hydraulic or use a rack-and-pinion mechanism.

Samantha Nichols said:
Step 1 ? Remove the ?horseshoe? fitting, which is the molding where the slide-out moves. Pull the slide-out to the limit and allow its floor to drop so that they will be level with the actual floor of the RV.

Step 2 ? Support the extended slide-outs using cinder blocks and shims. You will need to use very sturdily and strong supports, have a wide footprint and can support the weight of the slide-out easily.

Step 3 ? Remove the fasteners holding the slide-out on the rams. These are usually pins that are in front of the rams. This is always the case regardless if the rams are hydraulic or use a rack-and-pinion mechanism.

This post was started last September and they haven't been back since. We can only assume that they removed it by whatever means. We're all sort a wondering how they made out. That's why we wish everyone would take the minute to let us know if we helped them.

PS: If it was me, I would have used a big sledge hammer to get it out. Would have taken 15 minutes or less. 

Rene T said:
PS: If it was me, I would have used a big sledge hammer to get it out. Would have taken 15 minutes or less. 

The one TT slide I've seen removed for a permanent installation was disassembled pretty much like that. The windows were removed intact for reuse, but the rest was taken apart with a sawzall, pry bar, and yes, a sledge hammer. That slide was removed so another TT could be mated up to the hole after both trailers had their suspensions removed and were dropped down on their frames on a concrete slab. After gutting and refitting, the end result was a spacious hunting cabin.

I can envision a storage shed area/boat rack where a shelf is set up at the slide height.

The MH would drive up to the storage shed and using it's levelers, raise up to match the shelf and roller/platform height.

The slide would be disconnected and rolled onto the storage shelf. The MH would be lowered, the open wall protected with plastic (similar to those manufactured 1/2 homes we see on the highway) and then driven to it's semi-permanent location where a flexible "snorkel" would be used to seal to the new sunroom. Think of a jetway mating with a plane's fuselage.

I would think it's very similar, albeit simplified, to playing with a truck bed camper.

I think the project is a great idea and I'd love to see your solutions.

Read more:

(Moderator edit: affiliate supported web site link removed)

Rene T said:
... That's why we wish everyone would take the minute to let us know if we helped them.

Rene,

Great Minds think alike.  ;D

A-Hem......Were you thinking 12 LB Sledge?  I was.

Wash Your Patties!

I love Commenting on old posts!  8)

JD 

Back
Top Bottom