Mathers Campground vs Trailer Village?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

We are considering taking a semi-spur of the moment trip to the Grand Canyon in mid October, and are debating between staying at Mather's Campground or Trailer Village.  We are fairly self contained, 28 ft class A, 80 gallon fresh water tanks, and 400 watts of solar panels on the roof, and 32 gallon propane tank.  My wife has a medical condition where she needs to avoid getting overheated, the research I have done so far suggest temperatures in with highs in the mid 60's and lows in the 30's for mid October.

What are your thoughts?

thanks Ike

Either place is fantastic. I have stayed at both many times. Trailer Village will have more sun for charging your solar panels. Mather is cheaper and has no hook ups. Both have a nice shower and Mather has a laundromat. Actually my first choice would be Camper Village in Tusayan, it is also nice and convenient. All three have the free shuttle right at the campground entrance. If you wish to boondock for free there are many great spots right near the south entrance.

It looks like Camper Village in Tusayan is out for this trip, that shuttle bus route only runs March 1 - September 30th.  We are also not having Desert View Campground as an option as it closes on Oct 13th, which is our earliest possible arrival date.

p.s. in other news it appears that the national park service just announced adding 300 more RV campground sites at the Grand Canyon, not sure when construction will start or where.

Mather, hands down. The sites are roomy and widely separated. Trailer Village is a parking lot. I admit a parking lot in a beautiful location, but still a parking lot. We had a truck and 30? TT at Mather, and we were just fine. There is a loop set up just for RVs instead of tents.

Ok, I need some help sorting out reservation.gov for Mather campground.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a RV/Motorhome site and a trailer site?  The reservation page shows only 2 motorhome sites available for our selected dates, both at the back of the campground, and 14 trailer sites.  We are in a 28 ft class A, and am not sure why we could not fit into a trailer site.

Look at both the campground map and google earth (or equivalent) and see the differences. Might be the depth of the curve for the pull through.

I'd give them a call for clarification before you get out there and have an issue.  Sounds like a great trip  :)

I have stayed at Trailer Village several times because my rig is too big for Mather.  Yes, it is a parking lot, but it has power and even with the cooler temps, the sun is bright there and your wife may need AC.  Also, you can ask for one of the sites closer to the shuttle at Trailer Village.  There may be a lot of walking required in Mather to get to the shuttles. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom