Fraud Alert for Medicare Subscribers: Genetic Testing Scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY_Dutch

If you are a Medicare subscriber, this alert is for you:

"The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General is alerting the public about a fraud scheme involving genetic testing."

"Genetic testing fraud occurs when Medicare is billed for a test or screening that was not medically necessary and/or was not ordered by a Medicare beneficiary's treating physician."

"Scammers are offering Medicare beneficiaries "free" screenings or cheek swabs for genetic testing to obtain their Medicare information for identity theft or fraudulent billing purposes. Fraudsters are targeting beneficiaries through telemarketing calls, booths at public events, health fairs, and door-to-door visits."

https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/consumer-alerts/alerts/geneticscam.asp

Same here John. I don't want to know what it might reveal.

NY_Dutch said:
Did they tell you Medicare would pay for it?
Nope, I paid for it myself. Never even thought about Medicare. I just wanted to find out what nationality I was (European mainly) and if I had markers for Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. I have neither so I sleep better.

SeilerBird said:
Nope, I paid for it myself. Never even thought about Medicare. I just wanted to find out what nationality I was (European mainly) and if I had markers for Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. I have neither so I sleep better.

Which one gave you the genetic marker info?  I got the Ancestry one for my wife last Christmas and I didn't find that info on the report.

Old_Crow said:
Which one gave you the genetic marker info?  I got the Ancestry one for my wife last Christmas and I didn't find that info on the report.
I got mine from 23andme.com. I was very happy with all the reports they sold me. Here is a screen shot of part of my ancestry page.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 02.55.58.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 02.55.58.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 15
Ancestry & 23me offer different packages.  A lot of 'em offer the 'health ' at additional costs. I got my ancestry so long ago that was not an option.  Partner and I tried the 'full' pack  from 23&me a year or so ago when having BIG SALE ~~  HaHaHa~~  ~~  FAILED twice!!  After 2nd one failed [not enough DNA in 'spit'/scrapping to test] They did give us our $$$ back but said we were never EVER to request testing from them again. Maybe it was to HOT in Post Office Truck [105? - 112? ].  WE have passed on other sites

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom