Triple Tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

I will be in the states where triple tow is legal, my question revolves around what can be done?  Motorhome, car enclosed trailer?  It would be within the tow limits of the rig.  Obviously no backing up, but then we don't back up with the car anyway. 

Will be traveling from MT - ID - UT - AZ.  about 1400 miles.

This will be a one time trip, will be storing trailer in AZ, then heading to FL.  Cost to have the trailer transported is just under $1300. 

Ideas? 

I am not sure what your question is. You are looking at double tow, triple tow (three trailers) is only available for commercial vehicles on designated roads. What is the towing capacity of your motorhome? Few will do what you are asking.

I think you need a comma in your statement-
"Motorhome, car (comma) enclosed trailer" -which would be double tow by most definitions. I too am not sure what the question is.

What the OP asks is indeed generally referred to as triple towing (three vehicles total). Whether you can tow a car, and a trailer behind the car is another question even in triple tow states. Could be wrong but I believe triple tow is two trailers, not a car and trailer or trailer and car. However I was unable to find the answer online.

Some states require that a fifth wheel be part of a triple tow. AZ is one of those states. Also AZ has a 65ft total length limit.

BTW, triple and double tow are the same thing. Most Staes use the triple tow term, but I have seen the double tow terminology.

What sort of "triple towing" is allowed is set on a state by state basis. Some may be commercial only, some allow specific types, e.g. a tow vehicle, + a 5W trailer and some other trailer, and there may be size, weight and driver licensing restrictions as well.

Bill is going to have to look up the rules of the road in each of the states he will travel in.  There are some pretty good summaries online, but I wouldn't trust any of the 3rd party summaries to be 100% accurate.  Once you learn via the summaries that a state allows some form of a triple tow, you have to dig deeper into the specific state's official sites to get the details.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

http://rvlife.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/
https://gillettesinterstaterv.com/blog/can-you-triple-tow-an-rv-legality-and-safety

Looks like AZ is the only state that stipulates it has t be behind a 5th wheel, but silly think is the graphic on the site I found showed motorhome, car and trailer. 

I never thought you could tow something behind the car, it was always my understanding you could only tow behind a 5th wheel.

I have found enough info at the s point, I am not considering it.

Thanks for the replies.

but the car and trailer color match the motorhome real nice....  that should count.

PancakeBill said:
but the car and trailer color match the motorhome real nice....  that should count.

[Highway patrol officer] "that's a real nice looking setup you have. See you in court"  ;)

I have seen a motorhome, car, and boat in a double tow combination. (Don't recall where) Can't see any technical difference with what you want to do.

I would plan the route, then call the state police barracks closest to the point where you enter each state and ask them if you would be legal. Be sure and have the total length when you call. I'm sure that would be asked.

You should be prepared to unhook and let Jolene drive the Jeep and trailer in the states where you get a negative response.

Well, the decision is to not take the trailer and just have it shipped;  So, no see you in court comments from LEO's, none of any of that.  Just have it taken.  Easy.

Jolene can't do the tower the drive, she is no longer comfortable with driving any distance. 

I'll have it sent to Tucson, pick it up there with the Jeep and tow over.

uship.com will get you competitive quotes. Wish I'd heard about them before I hired a commercial auto transport company to ship a car - see here.

Found a place nearby, will drive the MH, pulling the enclosed trailer from here to Tucson for $240 more than the company that quoted me transporting the trailer itself. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom