rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Strangest RV park rules, and policies?  (Read 12000 times)

Isaac-1

• ---
Strangest RV park rules, and policies?
« on: September 05, 2019, 02:43:08 AM »
I have been researching potential RV park stops for an upcoming trip next month, which started me thinking about strange rules, policies, etc. that I have seen at RV parks, campgrounds, in my travels, research, etc.  I don't mean this to be a review or complaint about individual campgrounds and their policies, so I will not name specific places, but here are a few:

1, A $5 fee for not having a reservation, note this was an RV park with a BIG lighted VACANCY sign out front in central Florida with very short office hours (9-1pm as I recall) and self check in envelopes after office hours. (We charge you an extra $5 for the privilege of using a site that would otherwise have sat vacant, does anything seem backwards to anyone else?)

2, Odd and unusual stay limit, from tonight's research, private campground in Arizona, web site reads " Stays are limited to 21 days (3 weeks) for RV sites and 7 days (1 week) for tent sites.  A background check will be required for stays longer than 7 day "  (They also have a 2 night minimum on weekends, and 3 night minimum for holidays)

3, Age rule something other than the 10 year rule, from a campground on I-40 in Arizona, "RVs must be model year 1996 or newer, no exception" (campground reviews, call it a basic good for one night stop, and comment on permanent residents with RV's boarded up with unpainted plywood, etc)

4, Another rule from same rv park as the last one, "RVs must have their own working restroom & shower facilities—monthly tenants are not permitted access to on-site showers or restrooms.

5, Municipal park RV campground in Texas, no non-registered guest vehicles past the entry office, this included Taxi's, Uber and food delivery drivers.

So what odd rules have you seen out there?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:46:12 AM by Isaac-1 »
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Gods Country

• ---
Re: Strangest RV park rules, and policies?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:59:35 AM »
A campground in Kentucky had a no bikini or provocative clothing rule.

SMR

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 06:06:29 AM »
We looked into staying at campground in SoCal and they wanted a background check to make a reservation and then another background check if we made the reservation after 90 days of the first check for a stay of 28 days or longer. I had the person on the phone repeat this so I could put the phone on speaker so my DW could listen too.
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

solarman

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »

on a rare visit to Florida some years ago ( rare for us to stay in an RV park that is )

one particular small RV park had a "no charcoal pit" rule !! ..seriously !!
KZ MXT20 480 W solar
ORV 24RKS 960 Watts solar
48V LFP, 2000W inverter/charger
Ram 2500 CTD

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
Well I won't be visiting that campground. ;)

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »

Your bikini probably wouldn't "fit in" all that well anyway Tom.>>>D
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »
Must be the same place that wouldn't allow my speedo.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »
Last year I stopped at a campground for the night at about 4 PM. Walked into the office to see if there was space. Three people in the office.
The office staff told me they could not take a reservation for a site, all transactions had to be done online, in addition the staff could not take my money/cc that had to be prepaid online. This is a 150 site park
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
I ran into the background check requirement awhile back. It was the result of a local ordinance which classified stays longer than X days as tenancy, thereby requiring the check
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
Who picks up the cost of the background check?
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »
We visited a cg in southern Washington that had 10 pages  of rules, the first four were just for the dog! No leashes longer than 6 feet, no peeing on the grass etc etc. Was I supposed to put a diaper on her? The female clerk looked and acted like a prize fighter. We stayed one night and never went back.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Who picks up the cost of the background check?

YOU DO either in higher camping fees or an outright charge.
Nothing is free

SMR

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 11:43:58 AM »
The one in SoCal said we had to pay and it was $60 or $70 each! x 4 times, not sure about the dog LOL
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
From what I've seen of some long-term campers in a few parks, I can understand the requirement for a background check for long-term campers.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »

From what I have read in the past the reason for the background checks is the requirement that short term customers become tenants and cannot be evicted without court orders of eviction if they have been in residence for a certain time.

In the same manner as evicting residents of other types of homes.
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
Huey is right. I used to manage an apt complex in Reno and I found out all the laws protect the tenant and not the landlord. Deadbeats move in, stop paying rent and it takes them at least six months to evict you.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
The Time Limits on stays may be a city ordinance. or county or state law.. One CG I stay at has a 3 week limit for just that reason.

As for the No bikini law.
one CG in Georgia I've "Visited" (on business for like 30 minutes so I was exempt) has a NO CLOTHING law...Yup. it's a nudist colony.  Alas it was not the kind of day to be out in your birthday suit when I was there so other than the parka wearing manager I saw no no one
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
Ah, yes, those "wonderful" tenant protection laws, about 30 years ago I was living in an apartment in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama.  At some point after I had lived there a year or two, a pair of 18-19 year old teenage girls with too much money (both drove BMW's), and not enough respect for money moved in next door, they left 31-32 days later, Alabama had a 28 or 30 day eviction notice law.

It was one continuous party they whole time they were there, we shared a wall with their apartment and could not keep wall hangings on the common wall because their stereo was turned up so loud they they would fall off the wall, dishes would vibrate out of the kitchen cabinets, etc.  Oh and of course there was the smell of marijuana that permeated through the wall.   The party was 24x7, just louder at some times than others, one Sunday I woke up to find a guy sleeping on our patio, apparently he was so drunk he could not find his way back to the party, the police were called on them at least 3 or 4 times per night, the volume would get turned down for about 15-20 minutes, and they would in turn call the police on which ever neighbor had just called half an hour earlier.  At one point in there they had a rock band staying with them for 4 or 5 days, some unknown band that had opened for Ted Nugent the previous weekend.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
one CG in Georgia I've "Visited" (on business for like 30 minutes so I was exempt) has a NO CLOTHING law...Yup. it's a nudist colony.  Alas it was not the kind of day to be out in your birthday suit when I was there so other than the parka wearing manager I saw no no one

While using google maps to look for an RV park near my intended destination a couple of years ago, I ran across one of those sorts of places, it is right along the 20 mile route of the Texas State Railroad (antique / steam engine train route)
2002 Safari Trek 2830

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »
Last year I stopped at a campground for the night at about 4 PM. Walked into the office to see if there was space. Three people in the office.
The office staff told me they could not take a reservation for a site, all transactions had to be done online, in addition the staff could not take my money/cc that had to be prepaid online. This is a 150 site park
We ran into that last year in Santa Fe NM. Two people in the office. I had to check in and pay online on my phone standing at the counter. They took PayPal though.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
Out of curiously where in Sante Fe was this, I just made reservations for a park there a couple of hours ago.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 04:51:38 PM »
I recently rented a boat in Kansas while visiting.  I had to reserve and pay online, at the counter.  It is because the marina owner did not own the boats, only managed them and did maintenance.  Maybe same type scenario with campgrounds.  Managing the money might be so-untrustworthy, they insist online tracking and management.  When you think about it, if small campgrounds dealt with mostly cash, they would be an easy hit for the burglary criminals.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 05:10:06 PM »
It appears we are heading for a cashless society. I stopped using cash years ago. Everything on a debit card. Tampa Bay's Raymond James Stadium will not be accepting cash starting in 2020. Fine with me, cash costs too much money and is too dangerous.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
Isaac-1

I don't believe mine was in Santa Fe like the other posters but, I wander so much I do not remember where it was.
If I see something shiny I might follow it.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
A municipal park in Jacksonville, Fl, also has shorter maximum stays for tent campers than RV’s. It’s to discourage homeless folks from setting up residence there. Although, on our last visit, some of the RV’s and their occupants didn’t look all that well off either.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
It appears we are heading for a cashless society. I stopped using cash years ago. Everything on a debit card. Tampa Bay's Raymond James Stadium will not be accepting cash starting in 2020. Fine with me, cash costs too much money and is too dangerous.
I have the opposite at the campground I'm in they only take cash or check. They don't want to pay the fees or it could be they are hiding the income.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
I have the opposite at the campground I'm in they only take cash or check. They don't want to pay the fees or it could be they are hiding the income.
I've seen several places that won't take credit cards, primarily because of the fees (and probably hassle, as well) involved -- don't much blame them, either.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »
I've seen several places that won't take credit cards, primarily because of the fees (and probably hassle, as well) involved -- don't much blame them, either.

Owned a biz for 32 years and always took credit cards. Not much hassle and the fees were not excessive. This is probably more about income and taxes than anything else.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Freedom Spirit 24 FBSL
Curt 10K WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
But what will the Millennials do when they can't tap there Apple Pay phone and go? The places that don't take cards, are going to extinct themselves.
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
Sweetwater Lake Campground in SC has an "Out of state overnight guests only". SC residents are not allowed on the premises. The campground is also cash or check only...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »
Well I won't be visiting that campground. ;)

I will say the campground was top notch. 
The owners were great hosts and I would return with no hesitation. 

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2019, 12:25:40 AM »
But what will the Millennials do when they can't tap there Apple Pay phone and go? The places that don't take cards, are going to extinct themselves.

I happen to like Google Pay. You are correct that businesses that don't take e payments will go extinct, as soon as their customer base also goes extinct. Time marches on.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
Curt 10K WDH

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
One reason we don't make reservations ahead of time, is most campgrounds want a credit card number to hold your site. If for some reason you cant make it there on said day, you lose your deposit, or get billed for the entire nights stay. I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants and call around when we get to an area. The less people I have to give my credit card to, the less likely to get scammed or defrauded. One rule I have noticed at lots of campgrounds is the no clothesline rule. The one place we were at had a pool. Im not sure what you would do with all the towels and bathing suits if you had a bunch of kids with you. I guess they don't want peoples unmentionables out on the clothesline.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
We use one-time credit card numbers for most park reservations. Back in our swimming days, we either hung our towels and suits on a closet rod in the shower or on a temporary line strung in our bedroom when outdoor lines were prohibited. Their park, their rules...
Dutch

blw2

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »
many times for the families various wet swim suits and towels from a beach or pool trip, I've hung them scattered around various things like the awning arms, bike handles, RV side mirrors, ladder, etc...
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »
One rule I have noticed at lots of campgrounds is the no clothesline rule. The one place we were at had a pool. Im not sure what you would do with all the towels and bathing suits if you had a bunch of kids with you. I guess they don't want peoples unmentionables out on the clothesline.

They want you to immediately go to their laundromat and drop an obscene amount of money.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
Owned a biz for 32 years and always took credit cards. Not much hassle and the fees were not excessive. This is probably more about income and taxes than anything else.
RichH
Same here. The only problem we had was with American Express in the early 90s. Their fees were excessive and you had to wait about two weeks to get paid. Stopped taking their card.
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 09:56:01 AM »
They want you to immediately go to their laundromat and drop an obscene amount of money.
I think it was more about the way the CG looked with clothes hanging everywhere than about the money.
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
X2 50 cents or even a dollar a load is obscene?

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
X2 50 cents or even a dollar a load is obscene?
I pay $4.50 a load to wash and $2.00 to dry at my local laundromat.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
I pay $4.50 a load to wash and $2.00 to dry at my local laundromat.
Now that is obscene.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Blue Ox towed setup

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Now that is obscene.
Why? It is a huge washer, probably four loads and a huge dryer. Saves me time. I get my entire months laundry done in one load, under two hours total. And they take credit cards so I don't have to screw around with a bunch of quarters. It is extremely clean and well maintained with a real nice looking lady attendant. It is a delightful place to do laundry.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »
The weirdest policy we ever encountered was many years ago somewhere in Colorado. I can’t even remember where now, except it was set deep in trees. We had a pop up and only two kids, so it really was a long time ago! The campground owners were absolutely anal retentive about how we parked on the concrete slab. We had to be absolutely, completely centered, and they would not let me direct Kevin on the parking. They absolutely refused to allow anyone but them to guide the rig onto the single slab. Remember, this was a mid sized pop up! We had to go back and forward, moving literally a couple of inches side to side until they were satisfied. Oh, and children were not allowed in the (advertised) pool at all and no noise at all. Not just quiet after some reasonable time, but my kids should not be heard of by any adjacent camper at all! It was late, and all this stupidity was not known before we paid so we just out up with it. We left early the next morning, and black listed the site everywhere we could back in those days. A few years later we looked them up, hoping the ownership had changed, but the campground was completely closed. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer pair of owners! 🤣
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:52:59 PM by UTTransplant »
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Why? It is a huge washer, probably four loads and a huge dryer. Saves me time. I get my entire months laundry done in one load, under two hours total. And they take credit cards so I don't have to screw around with a bunch of quarters. It is extremely clean and well maintained with a real nice looking lady attendant. It is a delightful place to do laundry.
Well... It would have been good if you explained that in first place. I retract my statement  I was thinking of a normal laundromat sized machine.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Blue Ox towed setup

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
Puff

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
Well... It would have been good if you explained that in first place. I retract my statement  I was thinking of a normal laundromat sized machine.
I am sorry. I am a very poor typist so I tend to answer questions very briefly if at all possible.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
Peace be unto you brother.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Blue Ox towed setup

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
There is a really nice CG in Sedona, AZ that has a rule that all occupants must be inside their trailers by 10 PM. No sitting outside after that. While I do like the park, I despise being treated like a child with a bedtime. Most adults know how to use their soft voice so as not to disturb others.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
Curt 10K WDH

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2019, 05:38:12 PM »
YOU DO either in higher camping fees or an outright charge.
Nothing is free

Yep! The park we are staying in for the duration of Lin An's travel nurse assignment required a background check for long term stays and we had to pay the cost.  Caught me by surprise, while I get the BG check I would have thought the park since they are requiring this would pay, but alas as you say nothing is free.  To the OP and strange RV park rules, this park also charges $10.00 for early arrival.  Never heard that before as parks we have stayed in either let us set-up early if the site had been vacated or indicated the site was not vacated and we had to wait.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
We were at a campground in Nova Scotia this summer that insisted all fires be out by 11 oclock. I can see having noise reduced after such time, but not even allowed the fire to be going seemed excessive. At precisely 11 oclock, a friendly and apologetic gentlemen came by with a large jug of water and extinguished our fire. That pretty much put an end to our night.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
RE: the clothesline rule - it's 100% liability/insurance related. The parks couldn't care less about how the clotheslines look and their concern about damaging trees is probably negligible. But imagine the liability they would incur if someone (most likely a kid, probably cutting across a site), ran into one about neck high?
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
When it comes to noise, I had to laugh last weekend while we were at a state park in upstate NY. Not surprisingly, there were a number of kids in the park for their family's last fling before schools starts. One little girl had a particularly piercing happy scream that could have gotten really annoying, but then I heard what appeared to be her grandmother tell her: "Please use your indoor scream, dear." And the little girl went right on playing at a greatly reduced volume the rest of the weekend. We were quite pleased... :)
Dutch

KandT

• ---
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:51 AM »

At first it sounds like a bad thing, but I have seen lots of campers that look better and better as you add clothes! ;D
2019 Ford F250 6.7 Deisel Crew Cab
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD - SOLD
American Car Dolly - SOLD
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD
Figuring out my next purchase.

Jkoht

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 02:29:16 PM »
We used when I was a kid my family used to frequent a campground that was a KOA. It was nice, had a good store, an upstairs game room, pool, and mini golf. We got out of camping for a few years after selling the popup and didn't return until we had purchased a travel trailer. When we went back there it was no longer a KOA, but a privately owned campground. Much like another poster experienced they were very anal about how you parked on their sites, which were all crushed sandstone, and God forbid touching the 3 feet of grass in between sites. The quiet hours started somewhere around 8, but you could still sit outside at least. They also gated the entrance at 6pm and you had to have someone come open it for you if you were out enjoying life. Gone was the store, game room, and mini golf. The pool had laughable short hours of operation. Basically from what we could tell was that they were trying to cater to the older crowd with higher end coaches that would just set up and stay inside their rigs. They only had about a quarter of their spaces open to families, or those with any other type of towable RV. After our stay there we referred to it as the POW camp and never went back. I looked it up recently and found much to my amusement found that they are now closed. Hopefully someone will buy the property and reopen a more welcoming feeling campground.
2003 Roadmaster 24ft Toyhauler

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 06:06:36 PM »
I've had people insisting on directing your parking too.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »
That is common and NECESSARY IMO. That way you can be fairly certain no idiot will back into your already parked rig, hit a tree, Take out a power pedestal, run over the water spigot.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
That way you can be fairly certain no idiot will back into your already parked rig, hit a tree, Take out a power pedestal, run over the water spigot.

Our driver is instructed to only take directions from one person; That's me if my other half is driving, or Chris if I'm driving. A long time ago we developed our own set of signals and location of the spotter after various damages to our coach, thanks to well-meaning 'helpers' (campground staff or rally volunteers).

We've had campground staff yell their well-meaning instructions to the driver, and they get told politely to shut up. The first time Chris reversed the coach into our own lot at this park, a well-meaning neighbor came out to give her different instructions. I politely, but firmly, told him she'd only take directions from me. He walked off in a huff. I went to talk to him after Chris successfully parked the coach with no damage, explained the "why" in more detail, and he was good with it.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »

Our driver is instructed to only take directions from one person; That's me if my other half is driving, or Chris if I'm driving. A long time ago we developed our own set of signals and location of the spotter after various damages to our coach, thanks to well-meaning 'helpers' (campground staff or rally volunteers).

We've had campground staff yell their well-meaning instructions to the driver, and they get told politely to shut up. The first time Chris reversed the coach into our own lot at this park, a well-meaning neighbor came out to give her different instructions. I politely, but firmly, told him she'd only take directions from me. He walked off in a huff. I went to talk to him after Chris successfully parked the coach with no damage, explained the "why" in more detail, and he was good with it.

Okay I will put it another way. When you. mess up. and hit my already parked rig someone will know you did it and tell me.  Does that make you feel better. You do not have to take direction from the staff at the RV park but if you do not and have a mishap that is on you. If you do and have a mishap the parks insurance will take care of my damage. I have seen this personally first hand last winter.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 08:32:07 PM »
In 35 years of RVing, we've never come close to hitting another RV while parking at an assigned site, either reversing or driving forward. If we did, we carry insurance that would cover it. I doubt that a park's insurance would cover our mishap, and I wouldn't expect them to.

One practice I've been waiting to see implemented is what I see when we travel down the Pacific coast by boat; Marinas (and yacht clubs) require you show your USCG vessel documentation or state registration and insurance. I just haven't figured out why RV parks don't ask for this stuff before letting you register.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:58:02 PM by Tom »

blw2

• ---
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »

I've only experienced that one time...at a place in ABQ.  He ushered us in his "follow-Me" golf cart to the site and then jumped out and proceeded to direct me in....  I just thought it was weird.  I was polite and played along but honestly I didn't pay attention to him, backed in.  Stopped the appropriate distance in for the connections, and shut her down.  Then he proceeded to teach me about the sewer connection, telling me that the little hose bib was for water, etc....I felt very uncomfortable...the same as I do about valet parking I suppose......I didn't know if I was supposed to tip him or what. 
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:13 PM »
Tom, Kevin and I have the same deal. We have been working together to park trailers for almost 40 years and parking the motorhome for the last year. We have never run into anything or over anything. Maybe the people who try to park us are as good, but I don’t know that and I won’t take a chance. Besides, the other folks don’t always take into account where the hookups are or where our slides are. I will follow a golf cart to my site, but any maneuvering advice comes strictly from Kevin (I drive).
2018 Tiffin 37PA

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
To be honest, there are folks out there that need all the help they can get. I’ve been on parking duty at rallies where I wanted to yank the driver out of the cab!
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
...there are folks out there that need all the help they can get

Maybe so, but a stranger has no clue about the peculiarities of our rig, how it responds to the wheel, how the rear end moves in response to the front end, etc. I doubt that many campground "helpers" have even driven an RV, let alone one identical to ours. BTW we had tree damage to our coach thanks to the driver listening to poor directions from a parker at an FMCA rally. That was the last straw for us taking such directions.

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 12:23:24 AM »
When I was working in Los Angeles, I stayed at Balboa RV Park (now Hollywood RV Park) in Van Nuys.  It's a very nice park with great management, the only problem is it was built during WWII as officer's housing for the nearby airfield and consists of a street going straight down the middle of the park with 90 degree side streets where the trailers (now RVs) are parked.

Maneuvering is tight, you have to back up from the main road and make two 90 degree turns to get into a space, dodging cars that are parked in front of adjacent spaces.  Trailers and 5th wheels unhitch up front and the owner uses a forklift to maneuver them in and out of the spaces.

For motorhomes, the owner and three other employees station themselves at each corner of the motorhome.  The owner walks alongside the driver's side window and tells the driver exactly how to steer, etc. to get the motorhome into the space.

The process is something to behold, they can get even the largest RVs into the spaces with minimal muss or fuss.  In the 5 years I was there the only time I saw anyone come close to hitting anything was when the driver thought he knew how to back up his rig better than the crew directing him into the space.

Many of the overnight guests are European tourists in rental RVs, often this was their first experience driving an RV and this was their first stop after picking up the rig.  If they were not sure how to hook up to electricity, water, etc. one of the employees who guided them in will hook them up and show them how everything works.

Here's a Google Map satellite view of the park:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hollywood+rv+park/@34.211417,-118.5002535,273m/data=!3m1!1e3
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:48:16 AM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
Thanks for that Lou.

...the owner and three other employees station themselves at each corner of the motorhome.

Nowt wrong with having observers.

The owner walks alongside the driver's side window and tells the driver exactly how to steer...

Might make sense for folks who have never driven an RV before. In the case of folks who know how to drive their rig and how the rig reacts to the steering wheel, that guy is someone who should shut up. I rarely tell the driver how/when to turn the wheel; I position myself at the left rear corner of the coach, visible to the driver, and merely indicate (by silent signals) the direction the rear of the coach needs to go. The driver determines what needs to happen to the steering wheel. Same procedure if I'm driving and Chris is spotting.

I can see that, in very tight situations, additional spotters could be very helpful. Without the additional spotters, I signal to the driver to stop (multiple times) while I check out the other side of the coach.

Many of the overnight guests are European tourists in rental RVs, often this was their first experience driving an RV and this was their first stop after picking up the rig.

Sounds like folks who really need help.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »
I agree Tom. Park employees often offer/try to guide me into a space, but the only person I look at is Diane. In one place I had 3 different people all back there waving different directions. I watch Diane. She has a vested interest in what happens to the rig, more so than anyone else.  If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!
Visit our travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2020

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
I have stayed a few times at Leaf Verde RV Park in Buckeye Arizona and they had someone help you back into your space. I of course was offended because I could back my RV up across country without a problem. But eventually I figured it out. They were not doing it because they doubted your ability to back up an RV. They were doing it because they wanted you parked in a very precise location. They don't want you too close to their block wall or sticking out into the street too fan. And they wanted you centered in the spot so you would not interfere with your neighbors.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »
If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.

LOL good point Marty.

We've spent many years regularly putting our boat into much tighter slots (adjacent boats are inches away - the diameter of the fenders). In this case, merely turning the wheel doesn't do it; Wind and current are among the other variables that determine how the boat responds. Someone who hasn't done this before, or who is too nervous, can request an experienced boater to hop aboard and either give "gentle" direction, or take the helm. But it's all at the discretion of the boat skipper, and yelling by someone outside the boat is highly discouraged.

Fogetty

• ---
  • RVer in Training
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
One practice I've been waiting to see implemented is what I see when we travel down the Pacific coast by boat; Marinas require you show your USCG vessel documentation or state registration and insurance. I just haven't figured out why RV parks don't ask for this stuff before letting you register.

How else would you tell where a boat coming off the ocean is from? It sounds like a good security practice. An RV pulling into a park is coming via US roads, right?   Just wondering....   ??? :)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
It sounds like a good security practice.

I'm not aware that asking for a copy of your insurance is done as a security measure  ???

Fogetty

• ---
  • RVer in Training
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
I was thinking of the registration as a security issue.

Would the insurance be a liability issue - in case you hit other boats?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Would the insurance be a liability issue - in case you hit other boats?

And/or damage marina property.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 4
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2019, 01:18:13 PM »

Maybe so, but a stranger has no clue about the peculiarities of our rig, how it responds to the wheel, how the rear end moves in response to the front end, etc. I doubt that many campground "helpers" have even driven an RV, let alone one identical to ours. BTW we had tree damage to our coach thanks to the driver listening to poor directions from a parker at an FMCA rally. That was the last straw for us taking such directions.

An FMCA parker backed me into a marker post. Fortunately I just buffed the scratch out of the paint.

On the Alaska very they insist that you follow their directions (side loading/exiting ferry). They get impatient if you move slowly even though they're backing or pulling you within inches of obstructions. They said I had to follow their instructions until I filed a claim for damages to the Aqua Hot exhaust when the moved me forward off a ramp too fast, THEN they tell me the driver is always in control and has full responsibility! I was able to fix the damage with just a new pipe clamp/hanger.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:19:16 AM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila
2019 Dutch Star -4369, HWH Active Air
2019 Jeep Trailhawk Elite, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
Interesting story Ken. The Ferry management reaction doesn't surprise me.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
I was thinking of the registration as a security issue.

I don't really know the reason, but we were allowed to berth for a weekend at a city marina without current documentation. The rest of the story ...

As we pulled into Alamitos Bay marina, the Sheriff was hanging a huge Impounded Vessel sign on a boat berthed at the harbor office. He flashed a big smile as we went by. I went into the office to check in, they asked for my documentation and insurance, and the lady said "your USCG documentation is more than a month out of date". She was right and, when I read the reverse side, it said that each day of non-renewal is considered a violation, and each violation carries a $10,000 fine. Gulp! She went ahead and registered us and assigned a berth, asking that I come back to the office Monday morning to resolve the issue.

This was the weekend, and I lost a couple of nights sleep. 6.00am Monday I was on the phone to a friendly/helpful USCG Documentation Officer in West Virginia. The first response was "our records show you sold that vessel, which was why we didn't send you a renewal". After some discussion, the lady went away and called me back 30 minutes later saying that they'd made a mistake and canceled documentation on the wrong vessel; She was immediately re-instating our vessel documentation, and there would be no fines, fees, or late charges. Phew! She also agreed to fax a copy to a friend's home in the area.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
I agree Tom. Park employees often offer/try to guide me into a space, but the only person I look at is Diane. In one place I had 3 different people all back there waving different directions. I watch Diane. She has a vested interest in what happens to the rig, more so than anyone else.  If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.
We had to move sites today in the park we had been in for 3 nights. The guy from the park was waving his arms all over, but of course I only was looking at Kevin. The guy actually resorted to standing in front of Kevin, trying to make me follow his directions. Nope. We backed smoothly into the site. The only spot where we followed his directions was to back closer to the fence for more parking. Of course Kevin went to look behind and above before I moved.

And I feel bad about the stories of FMCA parkers. Kevin spent 3 1/2 days parking people 11 hours a day at the rally in Minot. His only issue was that very few people parking rigs had any idea how to park travel trailers and 5ers. He helped a lot with those.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »
Quote from: UTTransplant
I feel bad about the stories of FMCA parkers.

I hope my experience(s) don't suggest that all FMCA rally parkers have the same issues. Just my (maybe limited) experience(s).

Kevin spent 3 1/2 days parking people 11 hours a day at the rally in Minot.

He is to be commended for that effort.

His only issue was that very few people parking rigs had any idea how to park travel trailers and 5ers.
Just curious if FMCA offers 'parking classes' at rallies  ???

Many moons ago, when my parents dragged a bumper pull around the UK, a regular activity at their club rallies was a competition reversing their rigs into tight spaces between cones. All in good fun, and intended to be a learning experience for everyone involved.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2019, 07:49:47 AM »
Not exactly RV related, but at the fire department, we were required to have a spotter behind the apparatus whenever we were backing up. One day at the main station, one of the engines needed to be repositioned for some reason and the Deputy Chief (#2 in the department) happened to be standing outside the administration offices and volunteered to be the spotter. He directed the poor firefighter driving the engine right into the fire chief’s car, and you can guess who caught the blame. Hint: S#%t rolls downhill.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
I've never been one to worry about who was helping me park my motor home. Mostly it's my DW that directs me, but we've had a whole gamut of people giving me directions. From campground owners and workers to rally parking crews. All have done a great job. The only ones I don't listen to are the friendly neighbors that walk over and offer unsolicited advice. I just pay attention to my DW. My rig doesn't respond any special way that only my DW and I know about. My DW is always watching with a radio in hand and will talk to me if there is a problem. So far no problems. Guess we've been lucky. The only problem we've had is when I was backing up without a spotter and a small light pole tried to commit suicide by jumping in behind me when I wasn't looking.

When we first started traveling we camped in Myrtle Beach. Two sets of neighbors across from us turned their chairs around to watch us back in. Made us my DW a little nervous. After we finished they gave us a standing ovation!
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »
Also, not RV related.
I used to haul produce from South Florida up to NYC. The warehouse we delivered to had spotters, and  we were directed to mind the Spotter, and do exactly as directed.
There were inches between dock lanes, and they were at a 45 deg angle to the drive lane. So the passenger side was a complete blind spot. and the drive lanes were usually full of trucks. My first time in, I was sure it was going to end in disaster, but the guy explained the rules, and told me to just do what he said, exactly. I did, and I squirmed that rig around several parked trucks, and around the corner, into my slot, and nudged the dock.
If the Spotter misdirected a driver, and damage occurred it was on them. If we ignored the spotter and damage occurred our company paid the bill. 

I never had a ding at that place.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

ronbo

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
Two stories...

We were backing our 45' coach into our spot in a small older 'quaint' CG near Houston TX.  The manager was spotting for me as I was backing up, when I noticed the guy in the next spot jumping up and running towards me, arms-a-waving.  I stopped to see what happened, while the cg guy was still waving me backwards.  Seems my ladder had hooked the overhead power lines (told you it was an old park) and we were about to sling-shot the entire line (and probably transformer) out of the park.  From then on, the coach does not move unless my wife is spotting for me - not because I'll blame her if something happens but because I trust her to not let it!

Second story.  A cg in N Florida had very nice grassy-covered spots.  They had a sign prohibiting campers from putting out any kind of mats, etc on the ground: "because it would block the sun and kill the grass".  Wonder what they thought the rvs themselves were doing to the grass, just sitting there and/or moving back-and-forth?

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
Funny rule- you must sit on the toilet seats, not stand on them. That was a campground rule we recently ran into. It also said we must use the minimal amount of toilet paper.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
I have dual cameras on the back of our coach with one aimed low with a view from the bumper back about 20 feet, and the other aimed for the longer view of rear traffic. With the monitor switched to the low view camera, I can easily back within an inch or two of obstructions. That has led to some wild arm waving and yelling by bystanders at times, when they were sure I was about to hit something. Most laugh at themselves, some seem a bit embarrassed, and a few even get mad when I point out the cameras. Maybe I should but a sign on the back pointing them out? ;)
Dutch

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
I have dual cameras on the back of our coach with one aimed low with a view from the bumper back about 20 feet, and the other aimed for the longer view of rear traffic. With the monitor switched to the low view camera, I can easily back within an inch or two of obstructions. That has led to some wild arm waving and yelling by bystanders at times, when they were sure I was about to hit something. Most laugh at themselves, some seem a bit embarrassed, and a few even get mad when I point out the cameras. Maybe I should but a sign on the back pointing them out? ;)

Last October at a local campground the owner backed in a 5th wheel for a camper a few sites away from us (the camper's request since it was a seasonal site that had raised, wood deck/patio making maneuvering very tight). The owner backed in with no troubles and then came over to talk to my and my friend. I usually stay out of other people's business but when the camper finished unhooking he stared to pull away and I yelled for him to stop - his tailgate was still up! He slammed on the brakes but turns out the gate was down but blended in with perfectly with the deck - his truck was light brown. I felt like a dumbass!
Joe & Kim

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »

Last October at a local campground the owner backed in a 5th wheel for a camper a few sites away from us (the camper's request since it was a seasonal site that had raised, wood deck/patio making maneuvering very tight). The owner backed in with no troubles and then came over to talk to my and my friend. I usually stay out of other people's business but when the camper finished unhooking he stared to pull away and I yelled for him to stop - his tailgate was still up! He slammed on the brakes but turns out the gate was down but blended in with perfectly with the deck - his truck was light brown. I felt like a dumbass!

I'm sure most of us have "Been there, done that..." in some form more than once in our lives, Joe... :)
Dutch

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
LOL - yes, certainly not my first or last D'oh moment!  ;D
Joe & Kim

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »
Funny rule- you must sit on the toilet seats, not stand on them. That was a campground rule we recently ran into. It also said we must use the minimal amount of toilet paper.

There are countries that don't have sit down toilets, just a hole in the floor that you squat over. People form these countries stand on the seats and squat. Thus the need for the sign. It all depends on who your clientele is.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
Funny that you mention that. We were at the Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick recently, and they had pictures of someone standing on the toilet seat, with the big red slash through the middle. I guess they have a problem with foreign types who don't know how to use a toilet seat. Kinda funny, as I had never seen that one before. The sign beside it showed someone sitting on the toilet seat, with a green circle around it. Not something you would think you needed to tell people.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2019, 03:46:33 PM »
I saw this in and around Yellowstone a couple of years ago, my guess is it is due to all the Chinese tourist.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2019, 04:52:16 PM »
I read (on the internet of course) that it is better for you to squat to poop.
Apex, NC
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Blue Ox towed setup

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »

It probably less messy than standing upright.  :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:32:42 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »

Better than standing and pooping.  ::)
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »
"No public showing of affection"..  for example, no hand holding in public..no kissing..no hugs. :o :o southern Ohio Baptists.  No carp.. big sign right inside the office door.

WildBill

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »
I used to hate to have to squat in the bathrooms on the countless times I visited Asia. I was really afraid I'd fall over and, if I didn't fall, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stand up. It got to the point that my Asian colleagues would go into a bathroom before me, come out and announce "Asian style" or "European Western style"; They always got a kick out of watching my expectant face.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:20:13 AM by Tom »

johnhicks

• ---
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
  We've been in a few parks where staff was expected to direct. DW spots and we connect by radio; I don't move unless she says so. She's parked me behind a tree and all I could see was down a knothole.

At our current park a guy was having hissy fits about us getting in and out of the way. DW finally got him to realize that if he'd shut up and quit waving his arms we'd already be in our spot. And no, it doesn't matter how many TTs and 5ers he's put in that spot, our motorhome does not bend in the middle.

At another park the spotter disappeared in my rear camera view. I said loudly on the radio to tell that **** to get out from behind me...and he did.

The last tree that jumped out behind me was in 2009. And now I've put the mouth on it....

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
It is lol
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »
It is lol
It's easier said than done for some of us older larger types :D :D

I've been to 2 parks that had a rule about no alcohol one was a religious affiliated one in mid Michigan and the other was in Tennessee.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2019, 06:48:55 AM »
The following link falls under the TMI category. I haven't used one, but know a couple that swear by it. When I go in their bathroom it looks like a child's potty training aid.

https://time.com/5498225/squatty-potty-study/
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Irover

• ---
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »
  It is their Campgrounds and their rules and regulations; if I don't like something I just move on down the Road. This is the reason RV's have wheels! LOL.
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

blw2

• ---
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
I the rare times taht I do ask DW or one of the kids to spot for me...like when theirs low trees and it's tight or dark.... I'll open the windos so I can hear & then I'll ask them to just watch...hold their face where they can see me in the mirror....and hold a fist in front of their face and yell, only if I'm about to hit something...they pretty much know to not try and direct/guide me.  I've always found that just confusing anyway
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
"No public showing of affection"..  for example, no hand holding in public..no kissing..no hugs. :o :o southern Ohio Baptists.  No carp.. big sign right inside the office door.

WildBill

You know why Baptists don't have sex standing up?  They don't want anyone to think they're dancing.

KandT

• ---
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
I speak to this from a medical perspective not a joking one.  I made myself a squatty potty.  Don't knock it 'till ya tried it.  When I am away and without my squatty, I find myself trying to make one out of books or anything I can find that I can put my feet on to squat. 

Maybe not the thing for you if you aren't able to balance because it is weird at first.  It does require some dexterity to "saddle up".

After using it a week the "normal" way will feel crazy! 

No jokes here.  It is something we all do.
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

KandT

• ---
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »
I am pulling down into my camp spot near Mt Washington.  As I pull in we unload the toad and come to our spot.  There is no way anyone could get my RV in there.  I keep going to turn around but it keeps getting worse.  I am sweating now.  Pretty soon I come upon a side by side which the owner is driving.  He's annoyed/mad.  He says "You didn't make a reservation for that.  We cant fit that in here."  I said "Sir why would I want to make a reservation for a spot too small for my rig?  What would I gain by doing that?" 

He says "When did you make the reservation?"  I said "Two weeks ago".  "Oh - Uh Huh" he says.  Eyes roll up in his head.  "Yeah we had some help that might have missed that."

Now he isn't mad at me.  I feels bad I can see it in his eyes.  I said "look we are both stuck in a situation neither of us wants to be in.  If you can drive it and just get us out then take the wheel."  He does't want to touch the wheel.  Took about an hour but we got it to where we needed it.  Owner is treating me like royalty now.  He knows I wasn't lying and it was there fault.  I commend him for not digging in deeper which some people do.

Then the water goes out intermittently.  Every time I go out and disconnect the hose from the RV it runs.  Connect it and go back inside and it is off.  I think there is something with the RV. When we left he says sorry about the water last night.  Aug!!!!!
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

Dan23

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
In the posts about backing up, what does DW mean? Designated Watcher?

Second story.  A cg in N Florida had very nice grassy-covered spots.  They had a sign prohibiting campers from putting out any kind of mats, etc on the ground: "because it would block the sun and kill the grass".  Wonder what they thought the rvs themselves were doing to the grass, just sitting there and/or moving back-and-forth?

Personally I hate campground carpets. I can see the need for possibly a small one right by the steps so you can clean your feet before entering, but the bigger ones are grass killers, leaving nothing but dirt in the site. If the entire site is delineated where you put your rig and the site is gravel or concrete, no problem, but when a site has grass and someone puts down a carpet, the site will be bare dirt long into the future afterwards. When you camp at northern latitudes, rugs are banned because it is not easy to get grass growing with so little direct sun. I finally had to buy a carpet because others leave behind a site of wet dirt but afterwards I have to store the often wet, filthy thing. Now, before you go off telling me how wrong I am, consider that the weather conditions and soils where you camp may be different than the ones where I do.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:52:50 AM by Dan23 »

blw2

• ---
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »

Personally I hate campground carpets. I can see the need for possibly a small one right by the steps so you can clean your feet before entering, but the bigger ones are grass killers, leaving nothing but dirt in the site. If the entire site is delineated where you put your rig and the site is gravel or concrete, no problem, but when a site has grass and someone puts down a carpet, the site will be bare dirt long into the future afterwards. When you camp at northern latitudes, rugs are banned because it is not easy to get grass growing with so little direct sun. I finally had to buy a carpet because others leave behind a site of wet dirt but afterwards I have to store the often wet, filthy thing. Now, before you go off telling me how wrong I am, consider that the weather conditions and soils where you camp may be different than the ones where I do.
or the fact that almost none of the CG's have grass in the area (ours at least)...
  State parks pretty much all have this sort of marl/gravel base that's just dusty and nasty...and most of the other places we've been to are some mix of similar to just sand/dirt
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2019, 08:25:41 AM »

Same as in other posts I would guess, Dear Wife who is often the Designated Watcher in many cases!! ;D
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver NOW S0LD!!

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Dan23

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
Same as in other posts I would guess, Dear Wife who is often the Designated Watcher in many cases!! ;D

thanks. My DW and I communicate with 2-way radios, and not just while backing. But I can see why some CGs like a staff member on location while backing so someone's kid isn't run over. It's just good safety practice.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
I saw a pitch for a campground in northern Oregon that specified no liquor, no pets, and campers were expected to attend chapel on Sunday morning. Needless to say we didn't follow up on it.

aguablanco

• ---
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2019, 05:45:00 PM »
I saw a pitch for a campground in northern Oregon that specified no liquor, no pets, and campers were expected to attend chapel on Sunday morning. Needless to say we didn't follow up on it.

Expected to attend chapel??? Wow! That is one way to fill the collection basket. Wonder if the CG owner is also the pastor? I would love to see what other regs this CG has. I can only imagine. I much prefer the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Check them out on Google.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
Curt 10K WDH

KandT

• ---
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »

I think that is a cult - not a CG ???
2009 Accord Toad - SOLD

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:34 PM »
A campground in Maine doesn't allow motorcycles on the property. Bicycles can only be ridden to go in or out, but you cannot ride them around the campground.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »
Motorcycles I can understand, the ban on bicycles seems a little excessive unless they have had problems with careless riders.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
Motorcycles I can understand, the ban on bicycles seems a little excessive unless they have had problems with careless riders.

Well, you know how wild and crazy those bicycle gangs can be.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Dan23

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2019, 07:24:19 AM »
Motorcycles I can understand

Care to elaborate? What justification is there to ban motorcycles? I understand that may be their right, but what is the justification?

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2019, 08:41:47 AM »
Care to elaborate? What justification is there to ban motorcycles? I understand that may be their right, but what is the justification?

I would guess it would be because of sound. Many, not all, Harley drivers modify their exhaust to make them louder. I could never understand why they do that. I can hear them coming on my road when they are 1/4 mile away and my windows and doors in my house are closed.
AKA  Pep N Mem

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
I would guess it would be because of sound. Many, not all, Harley drivers modify their exhaust to make them louder. I could never understand why they do that. I can hear them coming on my road when they are 1/4 mile away and my windows and doors in my house are closed.

They will tell you, "loud pipes save lives."
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”--- Voltaire

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »
I have seen this restriction, and I do believe it is due to the sound. Then again, there are some diesel pickups that folks have modified to be almost as loud! It definitely isn’t restricted to Harley’s though. I actually have a tiny pop up trailer designed to be towed by a motorcycle, though I tow it with a car when we want to really “camp”. The motorcycle camping rallies I attended when I was deciding which one to buy were definitely not filled with loud road bikes. Motorcyclists all get tarred from a few bad actors.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2019, 10:38:20 AM »
Motorcyclists all get tarred from a few bad actors.
That's why I said "Many, not all"
AKA  Pep N Mem

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Electric motorcycles will alleviate the noise problem.  ;)
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »
That's why I said "Many, not all"

I have a motorcycle and I am opposed to the modification of exhaust for the sole purpose of annoying others.  Yes, the man children will come up with the childish remark that "loud pipes save lives" nonsense.  I respond with telling them to run the pipes out the front if that is the case. 

From this website: https://noisefree.org/sources-of-noise/motorcycles/

And according to a California Air Resources Board survey of 2003 to 2007 model year highway motorcycles, “85 percent of newer motorcycles in Southern California (primarily Harley Davidsons) had some form of exhaust modification. After-market exhaust systems on highway motorcycles can range from straight pipes without any catalysts to systems with catalysts that have not demonstrated durability and/or the ability to effectively control emissions.”

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
Electric motorcycles will alleviate the noise problem.  ;)

Maybe they could put playing cards in the spokes, remember that?  ;D

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »

I used baseball cards. Evidently given the number of noisy motorcycles many motorcyclists never moved past this stage of life.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »

I used baseball cards. Evidently given the number of noisy motorcycles many motorcyclists never moved past this stage of life.

X2.  Those cards would be worth a fortune today. They came in a bubble gum pack.
AKA  Pep N Mem

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
With the wooden clothes pins :)
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

johnhicks

• ---
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »
  In our CG we have lots of MC enthusiasts visiting the fishcamp restaurant. They're usually white-haired or bald on top with a little goatee and evidently having a second childhood. A few of them have to compsensate for other shortcomings by having very loud bikes. A noise ordinance actually exists here but the chances of enforcement are nil.

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
thanks. My DW and I communicate with 2-way radios, and not just while backing.

Wife- would you like a sandwich, over. Husband-roger that.  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
It's not just the Harley straight pipe guys, the kids on dirt bikes also need to be taught manners. It is easier to make a blanket rule than try to police individual offenders but that excludes the responsible riders. We witnessed a Honda Golwing club hold a candlelight parade through the campground the evening of Canada day, it was really cool.

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »
  In our CG we have lots of MC enthusiasts visiting the fishcamp restaurant. They're usually white-haired or bald on top with a little goatee and evidently having a second childhood.

How about the Baby Boomer comb-over: a bald guy with a ponytail.

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
How about the Baby Boomer comb-over: a bald guy with a ponytail.

Mick Fleetwood?
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”--- Voltaire