Strangest RV park rules, and policies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I have been researching potential RV park stops for an upcoming trip next month, which started me thinking about strange rules, policies, etc. that I have seen at RV parks, campgrounds, in my travels, research, etc.  I don't mean this to be a review or complaint about individual campgrounds and their policies, so I will not name specific places, but here are a few:

1, A $5 fee for not having a reservation, note this was an RV park with a BIG lighted VACANCY sign out front in central Florida with very short office hours (9-1pm as I recall) and self check in envelopes after office hours. (We charge you an extra $5 for the privilege of using a site that would otherwise have sat vacant, does anything seem backwards to anyone else?)

2, Odd and unusual stay limit, from tonight's research, private campground in Arizona, web site reads " Stays are limited to 21 days (3 weeks) for RV sites and 7 days (1 week) for tent sites.  A background check will be required for stays longer than 7 day "  (They also have a 2 night minimum on weekends, and 3 night minimum for holidays)

3, Age rule something other than the 10 year rule, from a campground on I-40 in Arizona, "RVs must be model year 1996 or newer, no exception" (campground reviews, call it a basic good for one night stop, and comment on permanent residents with RV's boarded up with unpainted plywood, etc)

4, Another rule from same rv park as the last one, "RVs must have their own working restroom & shower facilities?monthly tenants are not permitted access to on-site showers or restrooms.

5, Municipal park RV campground in Texas, no non-registered guest vehicles past the entry office, this included Taxi's, Uber and food delivery drivers.

So what odd rules have you seen out there?

We looked into staying at campground in SoCal and they wanted a background check to make a reservation and then another background check if we made the reservation after 90 days of the first check for a stay of 28 days or longer. I had the person on the phone repeat this so I could put the phone on speaker so my DW could listen too.

on a rare visit to Florida some years ago ( rare for us to stay in an RV park that is )

one particular small RV park had a "no charcoal pit" rule !! ..seriously !!

Must be the same place that wouldn't allow my speedo.

Last year I stopped at a campground for the night at about 4 PM. Walked into the office to see if there was space. Three people in the office.
The office staff told me they could not take a reservation for a site, all transactions had to be done online, in addition the staff could not take my money/cc that had to be prepaid online. This is a 150 site park

I ran into the background check requirement awhile back. It was the result of a local ordinance which classified stays longer than X days as tenancy, thereby requiring the check

We visited a cg in southern Washington that had 10 pages  of rules, the first four were just for the dog! No leashes longer than 6 feet, no peeing on the grass etc etc. Was I supposed to put a diaper on her? The female clerk looked and acted like a prize fighter. We stayed one night and never went back.

The one in SoCal said we had to pay and it was $60 or $70 each! x 4 times, not sure about the dog LOL

Attachments

• Mattie .jpg
    Mattie .jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
From what I've seen of some long-term campers in a few parks, I can understand the requirement for a background check for long-term campers.

From what I have read in the past the reason for the background checks is the requirement that short term customers become tenants and cannot be evicted without court orders of eviction if they have been in residence for a certain time.

In the same manner as evicting residents of other types of homes.

Huey is right. I used to manage an apt complex in Reno and I found out all the laws protect the tenant and not the landlord. Deadbeats move in, stop paying rent and it takes them at least six months to evict you.

The Time Limits on stays may be a city ordinance. or county or state law.. One CG I stay at has a 3 week limit for just that reason.

As for the No bikini law.
one CG in Georgia I've "Visited" (on business for like 30 minutes so I was exempt) has a NO CLOTHING law...Yup. it's a nudist colony.  Alas it was not the kind of day to be out in your birthday suit when I was there so other than the parka wearing manager I saw no no one

Ah, yes, those "wonderful" tenant protection laws, about 30 years ago I was living in an apartment in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama.  At some point after I had lived there a year or two, a pair of 18-19 year old teenage girls with too much money (both drove BMW's), and not enough respect for money moved in next door, they left 31-32 days later, Alabama had a 28 or 30 day eviction notice law.

It was one continuous party they whole time they were there, we shared a wall with their apartment and could not keep wall hangings on the common wall because their stereo was turned up so loud they they would fall off the wall, dishes would vibrate out of the kitchen cabinets, etc.  Oh and of course there was the smell of marijuana that permeated through the wall.  The party was 24x7, just louder at some times than others, one Sunday I woke up to find a guy sleeping on our patio, apparently he was so drunk he could not find his way back to the party, the police were called on them at least 3 or 4 times per night, the volume would get turned down for about 15-20 minutes, and they would in turn call the police on which ever neighbor had just called half an hour earlier.  At one point in there they had a rock band staying with them for 4 or 5 days, some unknown band that had opened for Ted Nugent the previous weekend.

John From Detroit said:
one CG in Georgia I've "Visited" (on business for like 30 minutes so I was exempt) has a NO CLOTHING law...Yup. it's a nudist colony.  Alas it was not the kind of day to be out in your birthday suit when I was there so other than the parka wearing manager I saw no no one

While using google maps to look for an RV park near my intended destination a couple of years ago, I ran across one of those sorts of places, it is right along the 20 mile route of the Texas State Railroad (antique / steam engine train route)

darsben said:
Last year I stopped at a campground for the night at about 4 PM. Walked into the office to see if there was space. Three people in the office.
The office staff told me they could not take a reservation for a site, all transactions had to be done online, in addition the staff could not take my money/cc that had to be prepaid online. This is a 150 site park
We ran into that last year in Santa Fe NM. Two people in the office. I had to check in and pay online on my phone standing at the counter. They took PayPal though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom