Strangest RV park rules, and policies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of curiously where in Sante Fe was this, I just made reservations for a park there a couple of hours ago.

I recently rented a boat in Kansas while visiting.  I had to reserve and pay online, at the counter.  It is because the marina owner did not own the boats, only managed them and did maintenance.  Maybe same type scenario with campgrounds.  Managing the money might be so-untrustworthy, they insist online tracking and management.  When you think about it, if small campgrounds dealt with mostly cash, they would be an easy hit for the burglary criminals.

It appears we are heading for a cashless society. I stopped using cash years ago. Everything on a debit card. Tampa Bay's Raymond James Stadium will not be accepting cash starting in 2020. Fine with me, cash costs too much money and is too dangerous.

A municipal park in Jacksonville, Fl, also has shorter maximum stays for tent campers than RV?s. It?s to discourage homeless folks from setting up residence there. Although, on our last visit, some of the RV?s and their occupants didn?t look all that well off either.

SeilerBird said:
It appears we are heading for a cashless society. I stopped using cash years ago. Everything on a debit card. Tampa Bay's Raymond James Stadium will not be accepting cash starting in 2020. Fine with me, cash costs too much money and is too dangerous.
I have the opposite at the campground I'm in they only take cash or check. They don't want to pay the fees or it could be they are hiding the income.

glen54737 said:
I have the opposite at the campground I'm in they only take cash or check. They don't want to pay the fees or it could be they are hiding the income.
I've seen several places that won't take credit cards, primarily because of the fees (and probably hassle, as well) involved -- don't much blame them, either.

Larry N. said:
I've seen several places that won't take credit cards, primarily because of the fees (and probably hassle, as well) involved -- don't much blame them, either.

Owned a biz for 32 years and always took credit cards. Not much hassle and the fees were not excessive. This is probably more about income and taxes than anything else.
RichH

Larry N. said:
But what will the Millennials do when they can't tap there Apple Pay phone and go? The places that don't take cards, are going to extinct themselves.

Swee****er Lake Campground in SC has an "Out of state overnight guests only". SC residents are not allowed on the premises. The campground is also cash or check only...

SpencerPJ said:
But what will the Millennials do when they can't tap there Apple Pay phone and go? The places that don't take cards, are going to extinct themselves.

I happen to like Google Pay. You are correct that businesses that don't take e payments will go extinct, as soon as their customer base also goes extinct. Time marches on.
RichH

One reason we don't make reservations ahead of time, is most campgrounds want a credit card number to hold your site. If for some reason you cant make it there on said day, you lose your deposit, or get billed for the entire nights stay. I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants and call around when we get to an area. The less people I have to give my credit card to, the less likely to get scammed or defrauded. One rule I have noticed at lots of campgrounds is the no clothesline rule. The one place we were at had a pool. Im not sure what you would do with all the towels and bathing suits if you had a bunch of kids with you. I guess they don't want peoples unmentionables out on the clothesline.

We use one-time credit card numbers for most park reservations. Back in our swimming days, we either hung our towels and suits on a closet rod in the shower or on a temporary line strung in our bedroom when outdoor lines were prohibited. Their park, their rules...

many times for the families various wet swim suits and towels from a beach or pool trip, I've hung them scattered around various things like the awning arms, bike handles, RV side mirrors, ladder, etc...

muskoka guy said:
One rule I have noticed at lots of campgrounds is the no clothesline rule. The one place we were at had a pool. Im not sure what you would do with all the towels and bathing suits if you had a bunch of kids with you. I guess they don't want peoples unmentionables out on the clothesline.

They want you to immediately go to their laundromat and drop an obscene amount of money.

aguablanco said:
Owned a biz for 32 years and always took credit cards. Not much hassle and the fees were not excessive. This is probably more about income and taxes than anything else.
RichH
Same here. The only problem we had was with American Express in the early 90s. Their fees were excessive and you had to wait about two weeks to get paid. Stopped taking their card.

Back
Top Bottom