Strangest RV park rules, and policies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, Kevin and I have the same deal. We have been working together to park trailers for almost 40 years and parking the motorhome for the last year. We have never run into anything or over anything. Maybe the people who try to park us are as good, but I don?t know that and I won?t take a chance. Besides, the other folks don?t always take into account where the hookups are or where our slides are. I will follow a golf cart to my site, but any maneuvering advice comes strictly from Kevin (I drive).

To be honest, there are folks out there that need all the help they can get. I?ve been on parking duty at rallies where I wanted to yank the driver out of the cab!

...there are folks out there that need all the help they can get

Maybe so, but a stranger has no clue about the peculiarities of our rig, how it responds to the wheel, how the rear end moves in response to the front end, etc. I doubt that many campground "helpers" have even driven an RV, let alone one identical to ours. BTW we had tree damage to our coach thanks to the driver listening to poor directions from a parker at an FMCA rally. That was the last straw for us taking such directions.

When I was working in Los Angeles, I stayed at Balboa RV Park (now Hollywood RV Park) in Van Nuys.  It's a very nice park with great management, the only problem is it was built during WWII as officer's housing for the nearby airfield and consists of a street going straight down the middle of the park with 90 degree side streets where the trailers (now RVs) are parked.

Maneuvering is tight, you have to back up from the main road and make two 90 degree turns to get into a space, dodging cars that are parked in front of adjacent spaces.  Trailers and 5th wheels unhitch up front and the owner uses a forklift to maneuver them in and out of the spaces.

For motorhomes, the owner and three other employees station themselves at each corner of the motorhome.  The owner walks alongside the driver's side window and tells the driver exactly how to steer, etc. to get the motorhome into the space.

The process is something to behold, they can get even the largest RVs into the spaces with minimal muss or fuss.  In the 5 years I was there the only time I saw anyone come close to hitting anything was when the driver thought he knew how to back up his rig better than the crew directing him into the space.

Many of the overnight guests are European tourists in rental RVs, often this was their first experience driving an RV and this was their first stop after picking up the rig.  If they were not sure how to hook up to electricity, water, etc. one of the employees who guided them in will hook them up and show them how everything works.

Here's a Google Map satellite view of the park:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hollywood+rv+park/@34.211417,-118.5002535,273m/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks for that Lou.

...the owner and three other employees station themselves at each corner of the motorhome.
Nowt wrong with having observers.

The owner walks alongside the driver's side window and tells the driver exactly how to steer...

Might make sense for folks who have never driven an RV before. In the case of folks who know how to drive their rig and how the rig reacts to the steering wheel, that guy is someone who should shut up. I rarely tell the driver how/when to turn the wheel; I position myself at the left rear corner of the coach, visible to the driver, and merely indicate (by silent signals) the direction the rear of the coach needs to go. The driver determines what needs to happen to the steering wheel. Same procedure if I'm driving and Chris is spotting.

I can see that, in very tight situations, additional spotters could be very helpful. Without the additional spotters, I signal to the driver to stop (multiple times) while I check out the other side of the coach.

Many of the overnight guests are European tourists in rental RVs, often this was their first experience driving an RV and this was their first stop after picking up the rig.

Sounds like folks who really need help.

I agree Tom. Park employees often offer/try to guide me into a space, but the only person I look at is Diane. In one place I had 3 different people all back there waving different directions. I watch Diane. She has a vested interest in what happens to the rig, more so than anyone else.  If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.

I have stayed a few times at Leaf Verde RV Park in Buckeye Arizona and they had someone help you back into your space. I of course was offended because I could back my RV up across country without a problem. But eventually I figured it out. They were not doing it because they doubted your ability to back up an RV. They were doing it because they wanted you parked in a very precise location. They don't want you too close to their block wall or sticking out into the street too fan. And they wanted you centered in the spot so you would not interfere with your neighbors.

If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.

LOL good point Marty.

We've spent many years regularly putting our boat into much tighter slots (adjacent boats are inches away - the diameter of the fenders). In this case, merely turning the wheel doesn't do it; Wind and current are among the other variables that determine how the boat responds. Someone who hasn't done this before, or who is too nervous, can request an experienced boater to hop aboard and either give "gentle" direction, or take the helm. But it's all at the discretion of the boat skipper, and yelling by someone outside the boat is highly discouraged.

Attachments

• Circle-73Boats.jpg
    Circle-73Boats.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 45
Tom said:
One practice I've been waiting to see implemented is what I see when we travel down the Pacific coast by boat; Marinas require you show your USCG vessel documentation or state registration and insurance. I just haven't figured out why RV parks don't ask for this stuff before letting you register.

How else would you tell where a boat coming off the ocean is from? It sounds like a good security practice. An RV pulling into a park is coming via US roads, right?  Just wondering....  ??? :)

It sounds like a good security practice.

I'm not aware that asking for a copy of your insurance is done as a security measure  ???

I was thinking of the registration as a security issue.

Would the insurance be a liability issue - in case you hit other boats?

Tom said:
Maybe so, but a stranger has no clue about the peculiarities of our rig, how it responds to the wheel, how the rear end moves in response to the front end, etc. I doubt that many campground "helpers" have even driven an RV, let alone one identical to ours. BTW we had tree damage to our coach thanks to the driver listening to poor directions from a parker at an FMCA rally. That was the last straw for us taking such directions.

An FMCA parker backed me into a marker post. Fortunately I just buffed the scratch out of the paint.

On the Alaska very they insist that you follow their directions (side loading/exiting ferry). They get impatient if you move slowly even though they're backing or pulling you within inches of obstructions. They said I had to follow their instructions until I filed a claim for damages to the Aqua Hot exhaust when the moved me forward off a ramp too fast, THEN they tell me the driver is always in control and has full responsibility! I was able to fix the damage with just a new pipe clamp/hanger.

Interesting story Ken. The Ferry management reaction doesn't surprise me.

I was thinking of the registration as a security issue.

I don't really know the reason, but we were allowed to berth for a weekend at a city marina without current documentation. The rest of the story ...

As we pulled into Alamitos Bay marina, the Sheriff was hanging a huge Impounded Vessel sign on a boat berthed at the harbor office. He flashed a big smile as we went by. I went into the office to check in, they asked for my documentation and insurance, and the lady said "your USCG documentation is more than a month out of date". She was right and, when I read the reverse side, it said that each day of non-renewal is considered a violation, and each violation carries a $10,000 fine. Gulp! She went ahead and registered us and assigned a berth, asking that I come back to the office Monday morning to resolve the issue.

This was the weekend, and I lost a couple of nights sleep. 6.00am Monday I was on the phone to a friendly/helpful USCG Documentation Officer in West Virginia. The first response was "our records show you sold that vessel, which was why we didn't send you a renewal". After some discussion, the lady went away and called me back 30 minutes later saying that they'd made a mistake and canceled documentation on the wrong vessel; She was immediately re-instating our vessel documentation, and there would be no fines, fees, or late charges. Phew! She also agreed to fax a copy to a friend's home in the area.

SargeW said:
I agree Tom. Park employees often offer/try to guide me into a space, but the only person I look at is Diane. In one place I had 3 different people all back there waving different directions. I watch Diane. She has a vested interest in what happens to the rig, more so than anyone else.  If things are so tight I need 4 spotters, I probably shouldn't be there.
We had to move sites today in the park we had been in for 3 nights. The guy from the park was waving his arms all over, but of course I only was looking at Kevin. The guy actually resorted to standing in front of Kevin, trying to make me follow his directions. Nope. We backed smoothly into the site. The only spot where we followed his directions was to back closer to the fence for more parking. Of course Kevin went to look behind and above before I moved.

And I feel bad about the stories of FMCA parkers. Kevin spent 3 1/2 days parking people 11 hours a day at the rally in Minot. His only issue was that very few people parking rigs had any idea how to park travel trailers and 5ers. He helped a lot with those.

[quote author=UTTransplant]I feel bad about the stories of FMCA parkers.[/quote]

I hope my experience(s) don't suggest that all FMCA rally parkers have the same issues. Just my (maybe limited) experience(s).

Kevin spent 3 1/2 days parking people 11 hours a day at the rally in Minot.

He is to be commended for that effort.

His only issue was that very few people parking rigs had any idea how to park travel trailers and 5ers.
Just curious if FMCA offers 'parking classes' at rallies  ???

Many moons ago, when my parents dragged a bumper pull around the UK, a regular activity at their club rallies was a competition reversing their rigs into tight spaces between cones. All in good fun, and intended to be a learning experience for everyone involved.

Not exactly RV related, but at the fire department, we were required to have a spotter behind the apparatus whenever we were backing up. One day at the main station, one of the engines needed to be repositioned for some reason and the Deputy Chief (#2 in the department) happened to be standing outside the administration offices and volunteered to be the spotter. He directed the poor firefighter driving the engine right into the fire chief?s car, and you can guess who caught the blame. Hint: S#%t rolls downhill.

I've never been one to worry about who was helping me park my motor home. Mostly it's my DW that directs me, but we've had a whole gamut of people giving me directions. From campground owners and workers to rally parking crews. All have done a great job. The only ones I don't listen to are the friendly neighbors that walk over and offer unsolicited advice. I just pay attention to my DW. My rig doesn't respond any special way that only my DW and I know about. My DW is always watching with a radio in hand and will talk to me if there is a problem. So far no problems. Guess we've been lucky. The only problem we've had is when I was backing up without a spotter and a small light pole tried to commit suicide by jumping in behind me when I wasn't looking.

When we first started traveling we camped in Myrtle Beach. Two sets of neighbors across from us turned their chairs around to watch us back in. Made us my DW a little nervous. After we finished they gave us a standing ovation!

Also, not RV related.
I used to haul produce from South Florida up to NYC. The warehouse we delivered to had spotters, and  we were directed to mind the Spotter, and do exactly as directed.
There were inches between dock lanes, and they were at a 45 deg angle to the drive lane. So the passenger side was a complete blind spot. and the drive lanes were usually full of trucks. My first time in, I was sure it was going to end in disaster, but the guy explained the rules, and told me to just do what he said, exactly. I did, and I squirmed that rig around several parked trucks, and around the corner, into my slot, and nudged the dock.
If the Spotter misdirected a driver, and damage occurred it was on them. If we ignored the spotter and damage occurred our company paid the bill. 

I never had a ding at that place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom