Best route driving a 40' rv towing a jeep from cheyenne to yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toppdogger

Hi,
We are traveling from Cheyenne to West Yellowstone in a 40' phantom towing a jeep. We were planning on going in the south entrance, but since we will,be leaving thru that entrance, we are debating if we should go on the East entrance and see Cody?

Your experienced opinions appreciated!

laura

Going either way works fine. If you want to see Cody (spend at least 2 nights there), I'd go that way, otherwise use the south entrance. The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody is a place that, depending on your preferences, can take a couple of days or more to see, or you may get through there in 3 or 4 hours.

If you like western music, you might also want to check out Dan Miller?s Cowboy Music Revue. I've seen them a couple of times on Larry's Country Diner (RFD TV), and I've also seen them live in Cody. When we were there, they had an evening performance in the Buffalo Bill Museum, though I note that their web site indicates that they've just moved to 12th St. in Cody, next to the Irma Hotel. It's a great show.

There are a number of other things to see in Cody, too, including a huge, historic diorama. Check out the several museums, too.

I would certainly consider entering from Cody, though when in Yellowstone I would suggest considering disconnecting the Jeep and driving it separately.

From Cheyenne, take I-25 to Casper, then Hwy 26 to Shoshoni, then turn onto Hwy 20 to Thermopolis (perhaps the most scenic drive I have ever driven outside of a National Park), at Thermopolis take WY120 towards Cody.  I know WY120 is a little gray line on the map, but as of the summer of 2017 it was a good road, and very few people, better than some federal highways I have driven.  Fuel up and stock up in Casper, fuel prices very very high around Shoshoni when we were there, and shopping options are limited until you reach Cody (the last real resupply option with large grocery stores). 

Back
Top Bottom