Replace window with larger window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RvFam7

Hello, me again! Wanting to know if we could replace an RV window (example above sink window) with a larger one? We want to remove upper cabinets and have a nice decent size window. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks!

I've been wanting to add a window to the front of my Travel Trailer.  After my research, I have concluded that it will require me to take off the siding, and frame it out with proper supports.  So, you might be able to do it, but it will require additional supports.

We've toured quite a few motorhome manufacturing facilities over the years and my recollection is that most motorhome windows are sandwiched between upright supports which, of course, are part of the structure that holds it all together.  You surely wouldn't want to cut one of those supports!  The same is probably true of trailers.  I seriously doubt whether it's do-able but we need to know what brand, style and model we're talking about before making any intelligent guesses.

ArdraF

I think its doable in many cases, but it will depend on exactly what you have to work with in your RV. You need to take the existing window out (not difficult) and get a look at the surrounding frame (or lack there-of). If there is a major sidewall structural support alongside, I would be hesitant to cut it, but if its just sidewall space with a bit of reinforcement for the window frame, it could be opened up further.

Sometimes cabinets add structural rigidity to the RV's body.  When Jayne Murray ordered her new Arctic Fox trailer many years ago she asked Northwood to delete the cabinet over the sink because it got in her way when she went through the motions of doing the dishes in the sink.

Northwood refused, saying it was part of the trailer's structure.  When Jayne told them it was a condition of the sale, they came up with a sloped partition to replace the cabinet, preserving the stiffening effect while providing enough head clearance over the sink.

Lou Schneider said:
Sometimes cabinets add structural rigidity to the RV's body.  When Jayne Murray ordered her new Arctic Fox trailer many years ago she asked Northwood to delete the cabinet over the sink because it got in her way when she went through the motions of doing the dishes in the sink.

Northwood refused, saying it was part of the trailer's structure.  When Jayne told them it was a condition of the sale, they came up with a sloped partition to replace the cabinet, preserving the stiffening effect while providing enough head clearance over the sink.
wow, i hope my house doesn't fall down when I pull the upper cabinets off the wall ;D

I hate questions like this.  Major mods to sidewalls, roof, flooring and structure are all doable IF the person has a basic knowledge of construction and general tool skills.  The troublesome thing is that in most cases the fact that they had to ask the questions suggests that knowledge and skill is lacking.  In my opinion, if the person needs a cookbook to do the mods, they probably should not be attempting them. Especially on an RV where there is no standard construction to form a basis for advice and where the structure is subject to a lot of extremes, e.g. highway travel and jacking on uneven ground.,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom