AC on a pop up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramit

I was thinking of installing a roof top ac unit on my 2005 flagstaff 208.  I am wondering if any of you have heard of the weight of the AC unit causing excess strain on the winch and cable system.  I had called one place to get a quote for installation and he told me he would not reccomend installing Ac on a pop up due to the problems it will cause with the lift system.  What do you guys think?  Have any of you had problems like this? 

Can't advise you on weight but we saw a LOT of popups with A/C units on top in Missouri and Arkansas so I'm guessing it's not a problem.

I didn't get one for my '05 Fleetwood Utah after talking to the dealer.  His advise was not to get one due to adding a hole in the roof weakens overall structure causing leaks in the future from just bouncing down the road.

I just put a/c on mine but it was set up for it.  I removed the vent and installed it there.  Other than some wiring problems, it was a piece of cake.  Is your model set up for a/c?

Yes, mine is set up A/C.  I am not too concerned about the roof getting weakend because it seems to have good bracing but I would hate to end up with a leaky roof. 

Though I did AC a PUP and it did help..... Some.

My concern is that the sun on the canvas (Tent) parts of the PUP is way more than a reasonable size AC unit can overcome.

It will, however, lower the humidity inside the PUP and that will help.  A lot.

http://www.popupgizmos.com/ sells covers for the canvas on pups.  Another ideal I have seen is to get space blankets or the silver plastic tarps and cover the canvas tops to keep the heat out.  They used the large paper binder clips to hold them inplace. Either will keep more heat out and help keep the A/C from working as hard.

I added a roof top unit to mine a few years ago. No issues at all. It is a lot harder to crank up, but the system seems to handle it ok.

I've got a Flagstaff 206.  Bought it new and the dealer installed an AC.  It works fine and I don't see any problems with the roof at this point.  Had the unit for a year this month.

We have a 2000 Starcraft. The selling dealer installed it when it was new. The owner's manual says it can handle it and installs in place of the roof vent. In that sense, it seems to me that the manufacturer built them with that addition in mind.

The only cautions are against adding a rack for a canoe or bicycles, for instance, and warns the user against leaving them on the roof rack while the roof is being raised. When the roof is lowered for traveling, isn't the weight distributed evenly across the lower structure? If not, wouldn't you see the unit bouncing (so to speak) as you travel? Didn't see that with ours.

I had one installed on my Fleetwood Rio Grande. Didn't do much cooling during the day, but was great on hot nights when I needed it the most. At night there is no solar beating down on the canvas and the A/C let me use my sleeping bag. Slept like a baby!

Back
Top Bottom