TV\internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonynconnie2019

Hello!  We currently live in our rv so we can travel when my husband is home from work.  We are trying to find best choices for TV and internet. We usually stay in the country and so far our antenna doesnt work a lot of times.  We have Verizon but the internet is still kind of slow.  I am a big football fan and am going crazy not being able to watch.  Ideas???

Unfortunately wireless reception out in the boondocks is going to be poor. You either need to get closer to a real city or invest in a satellite system.

We have DISH TV and a WALLY receiver, hooked up to a mobile Winegard Pathway X2 antenna. We choose not to have a fixed on the roof antenna. In that way, we can place the antenna away from the RV when trees are in the way for a clear sky.
You can attach a portable hard disk to the WALLY receiver and record TV. (One-time activation fee)
DISH might not work in thunderstorms and poor downs otherwise it works great!
There is an option for "on the go" that means you only pay the months you are using it.
LINK:  DISH TV-OUTDOORS

One thing to keep in mind is that low orbit high speed satellite internet using a small antenna will be available in another 3-4 years (some claim 2-3, but these things always fall behind).  There are 2 or 3 companies in a race to build their systems at the moment, with the first test satellites for their massive constellations launching now.

The point being is that this will be a game changer for rural internet around the world

We also use Dish with a portable Winegard Pathway X2. We only pay for the months we use it.
For internet we only have our Verizon phone hotspot.

Ok for Television you have basically 3 or 4 choices the 4th is up to the park and is Cable TV (not all parks offer. Some if you are a long term will let you subscribe if there is a local provider)

Antenna:  Now the best antenna for RV use (mobile) is the Winegard Sensar IV with the Sensar Pro indoor module.. For fixed installs (Where you don't move for many months) putting a good ampliified 100 mile Yagi on top of  say 30 feet of mast (Flagpole) works even better but if you move about the winegard Sensar IV with Sensar Pro.. at the WORST the Sensar IV is twice the antenna (meaning 1.414 times the range) of the Jack.

But if you are in close to the TV towers the jack does better (Forward gain (the abilty of the antenna to "See" stations far off) is at the expense of beam width  (a Wide field of vision) this is exactly like binoculars or telescopes. the greater "Gain" (range) is at the expense of field width (Why OpEra Glasses are low power)

But HEIGHT is MIGHT (Up to a point which is over 100 feet) as well.

Option 2A: Dish Network.. Not alway the greatest for sports but you can use an automatic "Dome" type dish with a single channel receiver like the VIP 211 (I think) series or you can use a proper DISH type antenna (Tripod or roof mounted automatic) with a multi-channel receiver/DVR or multiple receivers.... Service uses 3 satellites. all in the same band (or 3 other sats also in the same band if on the east cost).  Distant Network Service not offered but you can change your service location with a smart phone app.

Option 2B: DirecTV.. Rumor is AT&T is getting rid of it... So I won't recommend. Service used 3 satellites but in two DIFFERENT bands so only a Multi-LNB DISH works.. This rules out the automatic dome type.

And that's about it.

Internet:
Hughes 2-way satellit is slow and bandwidth limited and expensive
ViaSat (or whatever it's called these days) has the speed but again EXPENSIVE and not good for folks who move as  you need to have it "Installed" every move.
There may soon be another satellite service that is cheaper, faster and better and may offer automatic antennas. but .. there are issues at this time and that's about all I can tell you.

Best suggestion is 2 different Cellular providers (or 3)  this too is expensive. I use T-mobile. not always up to video streaming but meets my needs.. I get either 80 or 100 Gig on my phone and can share half that before they throttle the hot spot.. Phone is never actually "Throttled" but if I'm on a busy tower I may get kicked down to a lower priority (Slowed down in short) ... I usually use about 125 Gig a month and that's without streaming videos (Well up to 5 hours a month... and I try to use park Wi-Fi or McD's or something for those)

We prefer satellite TV because we can have our favorite TV channels (a lot of them too!) and don't have to go through a lot of hassle switching between cable and over-the-air alternatives.  We also prefer the online guide (remember the printed TV Guide?) which is easier than any cable TV guide I've ever seen.  The one disadvantage to satellite is you have to be able to "see" the satellites in the sky so if you're in a heavily treed area the satellite may not work.  In those cases we revert to cable if we're in a campground that has it or to our rooftop over-the-air antenna.  We've always had DirecTV.

ArdraF

I will mention an on-line TV guide

www.zap2it.com
click on the listings link and register.. enter your zip code and provider (Ant or Cable)

I use a subscription service (Schedules direct) same listing (exactly) downloaded by my Windows computer and served up to my DVR's...  25.00/year  Very nice  The DVR's do all that magic stuff that the ads claim "Only our expensive 100/month or more subscription service lets you do"  Uh, no. I do it for 25/year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom