Hitching up dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tebpac

Hi all,

I'm finding out that my driveway / street are not a good combo for hitching up when backing straight in. There is a dip in the driveway to street coupled along with a downhill angle of the street. I'm thinking I can back in at an angle from downhill side to hook up. The only problem is with the angle, one of the bars will not reach to connect it. Is it ok to hook up the WDH without the bars on and take it to a more level place to put the bars on once I leave the driveway? I was told if the angle of the dip is too steep, it could bend the bars. Trying not to destroy our hitch and truck :rolleyesgif. Sorry for the sideways pic, not sure how it got that way.

Also, how bad is it if you lift one of the truck tires off the ground with the tongue jack?....(I know  :eek:) Didn't know that could happen.

Yes it's OK to tow it a short way without the bars as long as your tow vehicle or the trailer doesn't bottom out at any time. The bars only transfer some of the weight from the rear axle to the front axle.

Tebpac said:
Also, how bad is it if you lift one of the truck tires off the ground with the tongue jack?....(I know  :eek:) Didn't know that could happen.

That is an extreme amount of weight on the jack, I wouldn't do it.

Yes, move it to safe more level surface, as Rene says, as long as you don't bottom out.  And as lynnmor says and I agree, do NOT lift your truck that much with your electric jack, or you will be buying a new electric jack.

Thanks all.  I greased up the Equalizer in the spots that they require per their manual. That thing was really putting out the noise coming home on the bends. Going to the campsite was normal. The lifting of the truck was accidental. My wife was on the other side of the hitch and I was actually telling her that I called the dealer about having troubles with with one bar due to the angle of the driveway prior to our leaving.  I was telling her that the service guy mentioned not to do that and she said, "well this tire is off the ground."  Jumped over to see and it was off a few millimeters.  ::)
Put it back down. Was able to get the bar off. Anyways, we have a couple plans now to take care of the bars.  Thanks for the input.  It's hard getting back into the rhythm of camping after being away from it a few years.  And our first TT.  Trying not to make the $$$$$$$ mistakes.

Welcome back to camping!

Clearly, you have the common sense to stop and ask questions!  I agree with the above.

The more you read here about our dumb mistakes, the easier it is to be more creative with the errors you make!  ;D  Also, the more bullets you can avoid.

grashley said:
Welcome back to camping!

Clearly, you have the common sense to stop and ask questions!  I agree with the above.

The more you read here about our dumb mistakes, the easier it is to be more creative with the errors you make!  ;D  Also, the more bullets you can avoid.
I've been lurking and asking questions here for a while now. Everyone has been very helpful and I try to peruse the Library as well.  We used to have a popup for 20 years.  We had a rhythm with it.  We know it will take time to get back into that rhythm with our TT.  I'm just hoping not to make costly mistakes. :) Our first weekend in the books.  Nobody died and the rig is still intact.

Attachments

• MaidenVoyage.jpg
    MaidenVoyage.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 24

I just wanted to say two things:
  • Nice rig.
  • You'll love the Equalizer hitch - I used two different Equalizer hitches (different weights) on two different TTs over the years

Joezeppy said:

I just wanted to say two things:
  • Nice rig.
  • You'll love the Equalizer hitch - I used two different Equalizer hitches (different weights) on two different TTs over the years

Thanks!  Getting used to the rig and the Equalizer. It was really squealing on the bends today coming home. Lubed it up this afternoon.  As noted above, going to have to leave the bars off for hitching and unhitching with our driveway.

Back
Top Bottom