rear end gear ratios which is better 3.55 or 4.10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trubornot

Trying to get more torque out of my 1997 ford e150
Vin code says for axle  19  which is 3.55
Would a 4.10 or a 3.73 be better?
Van is losing power sometimes and has to downshift to 2 nd on hills

Is the slowing down occuring while towing?  If so, slowing to 2nd is not unusual.  Shoot, I have gone over some passes out in the West in 1st. 

Changing a 3.53 to a 4.10 is just going to put you in 2nd, so to speak, full time:  uphill, downhill, on the flats, everywhere, all the time.  And you will have the gas mileage to prove it.

Well, a higher ratio rear axle will give you more pulling power but less fuel economy.  Might not downshift quite as soon grades, but your shift points will probably get re-programmed for the change of axle anyway. I would not expect a big change in that regard - the downshift is there to match the engine power curve t the load and a downshift on a grade (it's actually just getting out of overdrive) is to be expected.

Could you elaborate more about "loses power"?

Going from a 3.55 to either of those gears would be a great booster for you.  I don't think going to the 3.73 gears would really affect your gas mileage that much, in fact, while pulling, you may even get better mileage (that tends to bear out at least in the F-250).  But going to a 4.10 probably would affect your mileage.  But you would also get even better pulling power.  I think some of this might also depend on the engine in your van.  If you don't have the engine to support whatever your towing, the gears could end up being a poor bandaid.  It all depends on what you're trying to pull with that van and just what the rest of the configuration of the van is.  Too little information.

When I say I lose power the van is slowing from 60 to 50 then it downshifts to second(while towing)
The van has pleanty of power without the trailer.
The day it was doing this there was a 20 mph head wind 
It did much better when the head wind went away.
I am also looking for any suggestions on getting some more torque(horsepower)
I put in a k&n air filter  thinking about ram air and a performance muffler.
I know I should just upgrade vehicles but the trailer was a big expense on its own Thanks for any help

Based on test results I have seen it would be a cold day in H--- before I would even consider a K&N filter in any of my rigs.  Looks like they do allow more air flow but then also more contaminants. JMHO.

trubornot said:
When I say I lose power the van is slowing from 60 to 50 then it downshifts to second(while towing)
The van has pleanty of power without the trailer.
The day it was doing this there was a 20 mph head wind 
It did much better when the head wind went away.

That E150 has the 5.4 or 5.0 V8 in it, no?  Probably the 4EOD transmission as well.  Well that is pretty normal behavior for that rig while towing.  Frankly the only way you are going improve it is by jacking up the ashtray and running a E-350 with the 7L gasser or the 6L diesel under it.  Everything else is paying for dancing lessons for a pig -- you can spend a lot of money but you ain't gonna get a graceful pig.

On the subject of small block Fords I know of where I speak.  Note my rig -- a 95 Bronco pulling a 23 footer.  I have the 5.0L V8 and the 4EOD.  I do a bit of driving in 2nd going up hills and bucking winds.  The V8 can go for hours in that high speed second.  Once driving from Ship Rock to Kayenta on the Rez, a head wind kept me in 2nd all the way.  I turned the corner at Kayenta, got the same wind on my tail and did 70 mph into Monument Valley in overdrive.

Vans and pickups have the areodynamics of a brick -- trailers approximate a very large brick.  Head winds will slow you.  Grades will slow you.  A five liter small block engine is never going to correct that.

Back
Top Bottom