Oil change questions on Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

How often do you have your oil changed in a Class A gas rv?
Where do you get it changed.
What is a reasonable cost for this service?
Thanks.

It depends on how often you drive it... we are weekend/vacationers, so we only put about 1000 miles/year on our Class A when we had it. I changed the oil once per year, in my driveway, used synthetic oil and a quality filter, and spent about $35-40 each time depending on whether I got the oil on sale.

If you are the type who does your own oil changes on cars (which I am), a Class A is simple. No ramps or jacks needed to lift it, because it sits so high off the ground compared to the average car. Despite its ease, some shops can get funny about RV's and charge you silly amounts of extra money because you said "RV". Many lube shop service bays are tall enough to handle big trucks and RV's, with space to turn around and pull in/out... some Walmart shops as an example. Even without the bays, the oil change could easily be done in the parking lot.

I'd call around first and ask shops what their standard oil change prices are. Then follow up with, "And your garage can fit RV's?" If they change their mind and then give you a higher price, hang up. Also scout out the shop and parking lot first to make sure you really CAN fit the Class A in/around. The smaller Jiffy Lube type places may not work.

Every 6000 miles or so and at least annually.

Where can be a bother in some areas. The size of the vehicle limits choices, so you have to call around to find out what shops can handle a big vehicle.  You have a Ford chassis and some Ford dealers will be able to handle it - usually those who do medium duty trucks as well as cars.  Most big truck shops handle large vehicles, and a few oil change centers can do it.  Some larger RV dealers have chassis service shops, but I generally do NOT recommend those - they are expensive and too often the work is sloppy.

Costs vary a lot by region and choice of shop. A gas motorhome doesn't require any more oil & filter parts than a pick-up truck and the labor is about the same, but shops often charge labor by the hour rather than the package rates you see for cars. At a guess I'd say around $75-$100, but expect an RV dealer to charge 2x or 3x that.

I do my own every 7,000 miles, synthetic. I put a Fumoto Valve on during my first oil change and now oil changes are a breeze.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f106s.html  Also available at Amazon.

I am in the once per year or  6,000 mile camp with synthetic oil, though mine is a little past that point at the moment, waiting for cooler weather to arrive to do it myself.    I will pay the oil shops to change the oil in my car, but as mentioned above the class A is so high off the ground it is easy enough to slide under and do it myself, cheaper and quicker than a drive and wait at and oil change shop.

Thanks everyone. I think my dh is going to try it himself. He watched a utube on how to do it and it did not look too hard!

Back
Top Bottom