Tire on Roof / Too Heavy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have replaced a 7 ply (?) flat tire only once on extended van I had and at the time I was probably in my 40's.  I remember: The tire was very large.  The tire was very heavy.  While lifting the tire onto the lugs it appeared that the lugs continued to keep on moving just a little out of my reach. 

I don't know about the roof.  Every 'C' I have seen seems to have very light construction.  might want to add something to spread the load.  I would have a concern about getting it onto and off of the roof.  If you just dropped it off it might end up in the next county.  You do look young but have you had any hernia surgery yet?

Don't know if King has had the surgery or mot but I sure have and it was worse in pain the the triple by pass the following year.  No picnic. 

They make a bracket to mount the tire on the rear bumper if you have enough room back there; and makes it a lot easier to get to.

i am 36... 6'1 and 250lbs... i can heft the tire no problem...  just wondering about my roof... i dont need any leaks!!!!

yes i had hernia surgery once... car accident... made my belly button an "outey" instead of an "inney"!  The pain was tolerable until i sneezed then i was in tears...

Any time you go over a bump, the spare tire (and presumably spare rim) will exert some unwanted stress on the roof. Definitely a potential for damage, unless you can adequately secure it.

Well, that size tire/rim should weigh la bit less less than you do, but it's going to be up there longer and with the potential to bounce around. But I would think it would be OK if it can be well secured, as Tom suggests.

Does the roof flex a lot when you walk on it? That should give you some clue.

Far better to mount it under the coach, just behind the fuel tank.  I just did this  on my E450 class C.

Though I might have some concerns.. Think of this.. Is your roof strong enough to walk on? (Mine is but I'm in an "A") if it is, then you have perhaps 1/2 square foot of feet. more or less.  So double your weight and that's the Pounds per square foot you put on the roof.

Now, figure out the weight of the tire and wheel, (Less than you I'll bet on a 350, I've changed many a 350 tire)

And look at how much will contact the roof (more than a square foot)

Nuff said?

NO, as it turns out not a nuff said.

i'd worry about the increase in height, The fact that it will be hard to check the pressure, and the fact the tire will be exposed (Unless you put a hard shell cover on it) and thus will age very fast.. >I'd sling it down below or use a hitch-hauler for it.

There are companies that make tire carriers that fit a standard 2" receiver and extend the receiver for hooking up whatever you tow... Car,,, Boat.. Trailer with golf cart on it

Oh, saw one the other day.. Guy carries his golf card on what looks like a lawn trailer (Flat bed, big tailgate that folds down into a ramp for loading, bit shorter tail gate than the lawn trailers though, stronger too)

Well, to park the trailer,,, He has a hitch on the golf cart!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom