replace couch with desk -impact resale value?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

DW would like to replace the rear couch with a desk. Any thoughts on if it would impact our resale value?
The desk would be built to match all the woodwork in the camper and we plan on keeping the camper another 5 years or so.

thanks

Probably not enough difference to be concerned about. Some potential buyers will love the desk, others the sofa. A dealer probably won't care at trade-in time.  Probably won't even look.

We built a two person desk in the sofa space.  When we sell, it will be easy to replace it with a sofa.

We replaced one of two sofas (a sofabed) with a desk and credenza when we first bought our coach (see here). I don't expect it will affect resale value, but may limit the number of prospective buyers. It will likely appeal to someone looking for a coach with a desk and, as Jeannine says, it would be easy to remove the desk/credenza and put a sofa or sofabed in its place if that made the difference to a serious buyer.

Thank you for the info- I think your right about the dealer not caring and people liking it for what it is. I will try to get a weight on the couch and make sure I keep it all the same. It would be nice to have the "dining room" table back.

Nice work Tom.  Did you build the desk unit yourself or have it done?  I'm planning on removing our dinette booth and replacing with a storage unit/desk combo.  While I enjoy the DIY stuff, I'd like the finished product to look as professional as possible.  My workbench and tools are limited so usually my DIY projects look like DIY projects.  :-[

Gary,

Our mod was done by Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR. They also disposed of the (new) sofabed removed from the coach.

I have always put desks in any RV that I have.  I did use them for work.

I also never worried about the effect on resale as I always give them away when I get a new one.

I usually just buy a business type desk from places like Office Supply.

Attachments

• r038.jpg
    r038.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 41
  • r021 (2).jpg
    r021 (2).jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom