Mobile Hotspot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drifterrider

Do any of you full timers (or most timers) use a mobile hotspot instead of a smart phone for internet?

We have a Verizon 7130 jet pack and an AT&T Netgear 815 jet pack with the mobley sim in it. We use whichever one has the best signal along with a MIMO window antenna.

Vicki

We use a router with sim cards from 2 different carriers, power booster, and external antenna on a push up mast. We are serious about being connected!

SargeW said:
on a push up mast. We are serious about being connected!

Sarge, slight hijack. What mast do you have? Having issues with mine

Verizon Wireless Jetpack (aka MiFi) and AT&T Mobley for us. The VZW internet plan is also extended to my VZW phone, which similarly functions as a hotspot. Lots of other options out there, but coverage is the issue, which is why some of us use more than one carrier.

I've been using a Sprint Wi-Fi router that I got through FMCA TechConnect, with a NetGear WiFi Extender.
Works pretty well, so far, except for A few dry spots.

We use a Verizon 6620L hotspot on a grandfathered $65/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan, and a Netgear Unite Explore 815s on an AT&T grandfathered $20/mo Connected Car (Mobley) unlimited 4G/LTE plan. Neither plan is throttled, and so far everywhere we've been over the past couple of years one service or the other has worked well for us, and often both.

We have the Verizon Mify.  On our recent 3+ month trip from SoCal. to Wisconsin and back, we almost always had good service.  And we avoid commercial parks and resorts as much as possible.  So generally no campground WiFi.  The only time we couldn't connect was when we were in very remote areas.  We don't have any special antennas or boosters. 

I use Millenicom.com

Ultimate LTE Plan
Lightning fast LTE speeds
Use of the hotspot feature of your compatible tablet, USB mobile broadband device or SIM enabled laptop to share the connection.
Unlimited Movies ? using the approved apps
Unlimited Music ? using the approved apps
Unlimited Data ? no need to add data

Note: Use of the Ultimate Plan with smartphones and tablets allow those devices to stream at LTE speeds. However sharing that connection is limited to 512kbps unless the Premium Streaming feature is added. The Premium Streaming feature is an additional $25/month and allows all connected devices to stream at LTE speeds.

This plan will not function with regular hotspots such as our ZTE Z-917.

During congestion the top 3% of of data users (>50GB) may experience reduced speeds.

Ultimate LTE Plan

$70/month

------------------------

I works quite well in a lot of locations, we use it going down the road to surf the net.

Back2PA said:
Sarge, slight hijack. What mast do you have? Having issues with mine

I shopped around for a heavy duty extension pole Scott. I went with one with a hex aluminum insert in a fiberglass handle.  It also has a button that clicks into the mast about every 8" or so for a positive lock. Here is a link to it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00181UGA4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=TXRZ1V3HF620AH29FHCS&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cca70e28-a3b0-4f0d-b847-0ae9cb54558a&pf_rd_i=desktop

Consumer celluar (demand AT&T) for hot spot and two phones. Lowest cost except Mobley and excellent service.  Their second contracted service is TMobile and does not have the same ubiquity on service.

Ernie

we use Verizon with a Jet Pak, but new at it, just got it configured this week, will give you an update this weekend.

Anyone using the relatively new Spectrum mobile which is being offered to Spectrum Internet at home users?  They're offering a mobile plan which utilizes the Verizon network.  Their plan is $45.00 a month per line for unlimited data, talk and text.  They throttle the data after 20 gigs a month.  The wife heard some negative comments about a year ago when they introduced the plan. 

I am very happy with my T-Mobile 55+ plan
100 Gigs HIGH speed for phone 50 of that high speed to hotspot
After I hit the limits Hotspot slows down a bit and phone.. .Depends on tower load (it may or may not slow down)

Last 2 years I noticed slow down... ONCE

custom built cell modem/router with dual log-periodic antennas
on a mast, AT&T mobley sim.

Back
Top Bottom