Towed miles v driven miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
Wow Tom, over 14k miles in their jeep, almost as much as in their motorhome. I hope we do not have that same experience.

We have over 51000 driven miles on our '02 Envoy & 35000 towed miles...What do you plan on doing, sitting in one place & waxing it.<G>

Terry
At SLC, UT

Terry A. Brewer said:
We have over 51000 driven miles on our '02 Envoy & 35000 towed miles...What do you plan on doing, sitting in one place & waxing it.<G>

Terry
At SLC, UT

We only have 50k driven miles on our 01 Grand Cherokee and at least as many towed miles.  Never really kept track of the off road miles but I'm sure we have quite a few off road miles as part of the driven miles. ;D

Well Terry, we won;t be doing much off road stuff in a Ford Taurus wagon.  Maybe that is the difference?  On the other hand, if the mileage indicator moves along while under tow, maybe that is the cause?

You have to remember, that while I am learning a lot, so much of this is new to me.

All I know is that the actual amount of driving we will do in the toad will be a tiny portion of the driving we will do in the mothership.  Consequently in our own budget we only have a fraction of the amount budgeted for fuel that is budgeted for the mothership.

Do you think we are making a mistake here?

Smokey,

Our experience is very much like Ron and Terry's.  We have about 40K driving miles on our 02 Grand Cherokee and close to the same amount of towed miles.  Virtually all of the late model cars do not register towed miles on the odometer - it is electronic so if the car ignition is off or in the unlocked position the miles don't register.

Smokey,

Smoky said:
Again Don, you have an off road vehicle, not a family sedan like ours.

Yes, but I don't off-road nearly as much as either Terry or Ron.  I doubt that I have 1000 miles of off-road mileage on our 02 Jeep GC.

Ut oh.  My budget might be in deep trouble.

Smoky:

Don't worry - the things we don't know are not the ones that produce worry lines, just the ones we do. ;) ;)

Smoky

Electronic odometers don't register towed miles.

>>Consequently in our own budget we only have a fraction of the amount budgeted for fuel that is budgeted for the mothership.
Do you think we are making a mistake here?<<

Yes...If you are a typical fulltimer who likes to travel & explore this great nation, as opposed to parking your rig in Florida for several months & traveling by golf cart.<G>

Terry
At SLC, UT

Oh Gawd Karl!  Do not under any circumstances mention the J word to me! ::)

We figure to use the toad for grocery shopping and the occasional sight see trip where the MH can't reach.

In my ten week trip in 2003 I can honestly say only once did I go somewhere the MH wouldn't have gone and that was to the grand canyon.  Actually I could have towed the trailer to a nearby park and driven the last few miles in the truck, but for some reason chose to stay in the Utah campground.

I hope I don't catch whatever habits you guys have that cause such a high ratio of toad to MH mileage.  :eek:

I will be putting in long miles on the MH as we plan to circumnavigate the US every year.  Don;t plan to come anywhere close to that in the Taurus.

Smoky,

I am quite certain you will end up putting more miles on the toad than you think.  The admrial will probably straighten you out on that. ;D

Hehe, there is the A word.  Not as bad as the J word but sometimes troublesome.  If you guys are right I might have to stop buying single malts.

Smoky

>>I hope I don't catch whatever habits you guys have that cause such a high ratio of toad to MH mileage.<<

Boy, do you have a lot to learn.? We are staying in SLC, UT for a week as a base to see the sights. Yesterday the Johnson's & us drove to Kennecott Mines where you couldn't take your MH & then to Antelope Island where you wouldn't want to take it for one day...a little over 150 miles. A trip up the mts to Park City will be about 70 miles. Moab drives were often over 100 miles as were side trips in Capitol Reef, Bryce & Zion.

Terry
At SLC, UT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom