Prime Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coy55boyrv

After going through the required plumbing repairs (replace kitchen sink and tub faucets, etc.) using city water pressure, I'm finally ready to test the water pump. I filled the tank, made sure the valves were open to eliminate air pockets, and turned on the pump. It made noise and vibrated (which I kind of expected) but didn't create any pressure. A small amount of water came out of the exterior shower, but I think it might be because of water left in the lines from the city water.

In the compartment where the water tank and pump live, there are 3 valves. I've figured out that one of them drains the water from the lines and another drains the tank. The third one is near the water pump and is connected to a clear flexible tube with a cap on the end. Is that used to prime the pump? If not, what's it for? Is there something else I'm missing?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20190907_080330109_LIa.jpg
    InkedIMG_20190907_080330109_LIa.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 45
I believe the clear is for drawing anti freeze into the system when winterizing.  There should be a valve to select to draw anti freeze, or to draw water from the fresh water tank.

I also believe the clear tube is to draw RV antifreeze for winterizing.  I would go around and close all faucets, including the outside one, open the cold, and suck on it.  (be careful)  Great way to prime the pump.  (I had an old Class C had to do that every spring).

A 'winterizing' valve makes sense. However, with the pump running I can change the valve to either position and get no vacuum at the tube nor do I get pressure in the line.

SpencerPJ said:
I would go around and close all faucets, including the outside one, open the cold, and suck on it.  (be careful)  Great way to prime the pump.
When you say 'open the cold', I'm not sure what you mean. (Sorry, new to RVing and still learning). Can you be more specific?

PJ Stough said:
Does your RV have a valve for "tank fill"  and "city" where you attach the hose to fill the tank?
There is a 'city fill' port in the plumbing compartment (sewer, exterior shower, etc.). It pressurizes the water lines fine, but I couldn't find a way to fill the tank. There's a low pressure port located just above the tank compartment where I can insert a hose without a fitting on the end.

coy55boyrv said:
A 'winterizing' valve makes sense. However, with the pump running I can change the valve to either position and get no vacuum at the tube nor do I get pressure in the line.
That to me indicates that the pump is not primed, or internals not wet that actual lubricates the internals of the pump, that allows the pumping action to work.  Think of a dried out 'o' ring.  It could easily leak, but once wet, it swells a tad and seals.

coy55boyrv said:
When you say 'open the cold', I'm not sure what you mean.
I was implying to open the cold on a faucet and suck on the faucet to help draw water through the pump and prime it.  You could also do this with the outside shower, remove head, turn on cold and suck a few times. (or a while)

I had a 2000 Adventurer. If you don't get the valves on the outside compartment set right, you will only get a trickle out of the tap. It should have a valve that says tank fill, and city water. It has to be on city water. Then turn on the pump. If you don't get it right, the pump will just continue to run and run, and never build pressure. You will know you have it right when the pump builds up pressure, then shuts off. Its been a few years since I sold the Winnebago, so Im going from memory here. I loved my Adventurer, but bought a diesel instead. Cheers.

That hole above the water inlet is probably to fill the water tank. It sounds as if you may have an empty tank.

Ernie

Well, I fixed it although I'm not really sure how. I verified the valves were all in the correct position. Next, I checked the output side of the water pump and it was OK. The only other thing I did was to add 20lbs. pressure to the accumulator. I went inside and opened all the water valves and turned on the pump. I immediately got a thin stream of water. I closed the kitchen faucet and then the bath sink and tub. By the time I got back to the kitchen and opened the valve again, it was a healthy stream.

Maybe when I disconnected the output side hose, it allowed water into the pump to prime it. I can't imagine the accumulator had anything to do with it, but I could be wrong. At this point, I'm just happy it works!

The pump shouldn't take very long to prime assuming it has water available on the pump inlet and isn't sucking air; also the water tank needs to be vented. If that pump looks original, I would replace it just because.

coy55boyrv said:
Well, I fixed it although I'm not really sure how.  At this point, I'm just happy it works!

Shhhh, don't tell the wife that, just say 'I fixed it'.  Glad you are working.  :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom