Vocal challenges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=darsben]The original spelling of Welsh was Welch...[/quote]

As we've always said, don't believe everything you read on the internet  ;) The original spelling of Welsh was Cymraeg, and still is in the Welsh (not welch) language and Welsh (not welch) dictionary. Welch is some kind of slang.

Meanwhile, since Welsh and Cymraeg are both adjectives describing an affinity to the country of Wales, what would be the name of the country that Welch relates to?

SeilerBird said:
My voice is so shot from old age and too much smoking that I am happy to be able to sing anything. I didn't know you had surgery (or I have forgotten). Sorry to hear that.

Edit: Added quote to keep discussion in contect when I split the topic.

While old age takes it toll, my voice is shot primarily from not using it on a regular basis.  But when I look at Tony Bennet, 17 years my senior, I wonder, maybe there's still a voice in there. 

Prior to RVing, the DW and I belonged to a group that performed for small (less than 200) audiences a few times a year.  Usually accompanied only by a keyboard player.  The group got together weekly for practice and each of us got to sing one or two songs.  But it was the amount of singing we did getting ready for that practice that really mattered.  While I don't have a burning desire to perform, there's a certain joy from singing that can't be denied.  Unfortunately that joy is diminished by the ever increasing number of notes that are more flat or sharp than close to where they belong.  :( :-[

garyb1st said:
While old age takes it toll, my voice is shot primarily from not using it on a regular basis.  But when I look at Tony Bennett, 17 years my senior, I wonder, maybe there's still a voice in there. 
Funny you should mention that. It has been many years since I stopped smoking and lately I have been doing a lot of singing. I noticed my voice improved dramatically. I used to do a lot of driving and I always has tunes going and I would sing. I got out of the habit and now I am getting back into the habit. I guess it really is a use it or lose it thing.

garyb1st said:
While old age takes it toll, my voice is shot primarily from not using it on a regular basis.
The voice uses muscles that need exercise just like other muscles, but it has to be practice that doesn?t strain the muscles. When I started voice lesson, many, many, many years ago, my teacher told me to practice only 15 minutes a day at first. One reason was to get the muscles in shape gradually. The other, more important, is for him to make sure I was not straining my voice by incorrect technique. There is a lot of technique that can be taught to sing with an open throat and no strain on the vocal chords.

Side note: My mom was a semi-pro singer at weddings, funerals, and parties. She refused training because she was ?already so good.? She ended up with nodules on her vocal chords. That put an end to her side singing gig.

This topic is really interesting to me as I am having trouble with a range, not that I have ever sung as I am tone deaf. I sometimes sing in the shower and noticed my voice totally disappeared at a certain point.

I have had a post nasal drip for many years and assumed it was that but maybe I need to try some exercises. I'm sure I will find some online.

Also at one time I was researching snoring and found a lady selling CDs with singing lessons which apparently would help you stop snoring. It was 40 minutes a day though.....

After talking with a couple of vocal therapists in person, it was suggested I ask the ENT Doc for a suggestion/referral. He referred me to the Director of a vocal clinic at UCSF. Subsequent discussion with the Director of a voice care center on the East coast who works with professional singers, resulted in confirmation that there are few folks on the West coast who can help; She referred me to the same Director of the vocal clinic at UCSF, and said he was known as 'the expert' in this area.

There seems to be a general concern that there may have been trauma to the trachea, and that this may have been missed by, or was not visible to, the ENT Doc.

Separately, I'd put feelers out via a large local mixed chorus, and one of their members who had previously had severe trauma to the vocal folds, saw this same Doc at UCSF.

I knew from a prior exploratory phone call that this Doc/clinic are very busy and booked out a long way. Today I received confirmation of their first available appointment - in mid January. Meanwhile, I continue to lip sync.

Thanks. It's just a little frustrating having to wait so long to find out if they can even help.

I think below four circumstances can lead o voice problems.  Which must you have to consider to keep claim free.
>> Overuse >> Stress >> Dehydration >> Reflux

Aye Jackie, but too late for our Christmas concert  :( I know the Maestro wanted me to sing a solo of the Welsh lyrics of one of our show numbers that the band is learning in English; Some years ago he had me do the same for his mixed choral group who were singing the same song (in English) in their concert. There was no rehearsal (they were hearing it in Welsh for the first time), and I hadn't sung it since I was a kid. As I came off the stage I heard two comments:

1. That sounds a LOT different in Welsh.

2. I asked the sound board tech how the volume was, and he replied "when you introduced yourself, I knew you had a big voice; I was ready for you and, when you hit the first note, I turned the volume all the way down and it sounded great".

Tom,

Are you sure he meant what you think he meant when he turned the volume all the way down?  LOL

Just kidding, I?ve heard you.

When I?m running the board I?ve been known to turn someone way down for other reasons.....  heh heh heh.  Never piss off the sound guy.

Russ, maybe he meant something else  ??? But it didn't matter, because I wasn't using the mic' anyway  :)

As expected, I had to lip-sync my way through 2 hours of uke practice last evening  :(

Back
Top Bottom