Knee Replacement Didn?t Go Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

Had my left knee replaced last year and now range of motion is not good. Went to a new doctor last week and he said he can manipulate the knee under anesthesia. If it works along with intensive PT then everything will be hunky dory. A complication could be my leg might break. The other problem is the original doctor did not replace my kneecap. The new Dr says he might have to do that. Worst case I will have to have the knee replaced again.

What's the original doctor say that replaced the knee last year? I would think it should be on him to fix what's broken (so to speak), but I also don't blame you for wanting a 2nd or 3rd opinion either. That's almost always a good idea.

scottydl said:
What's the original doctor say that replaced the knee last year? I would think it should be on him to fix what's broken (so to speak), but I also don't blame you for wanting a 2nd or 3rd opinion either. That's almost always a good idea.

I went back to the original doctor a couple of times and was told it takes time, be patient. Never actually saw him, saw his NP.

Hard to make a decision like that.

My Aunt is 67 and just had a knee replacement Monday.  The doctor slipped with the drill and they had to do a bone graft.  She is in extreme pain and can not put any weight on the leg at all for 4 to 6 weeks to make sure the bone graft takes.

You never know how things are going to go.

Hope you can get through this with no more issues.

Robin

My wife?s neurosurgeon told us getting old is not for sissies. It seems our most frequent social event is visiting the doctors. We can still take the RV out and I can kayak and fish. But golf and racquetball are out for the time being.

Roadhappy said:
Hard to make a decision like that.

My Aunt is 67 and just had a knee replacement Monday.  The doctor slipped with the drill and they had to do a bone graft.  She is in extreme pain and can not put any weight on the leg at all for 4 to 6 weeks to make sure the bone graft takes.

You never know how things are going to go.

Hope you can get through this with no more issues.

Robin

You never know what?s going to happen when they operate. The doctors are pretty nonchalant when they tell you the risks. A good friend of ours had surgery on her elbow and had to have it manipulated. It broke her arm.
Actually the wasn?t all that hard to make. Like I said, as it is I can?t play golf, racquetball, ride a bike and it?s tough getting socks on.

Yikes! Hope that you dont need to go theough the replacement that didn't replace it again. Eh?? Confused...  but get well soon gator..

Sorry to hear this....I was looking forward to you trying to hunt me down for the money you think I owe you ;D ;D

Although it could be fun being chased by a man using a walker :eek:

Oldgator73 said:
My walker has a Hemi.  ;D

Funny you should say that...They make a real hemi walker. I don't think it's going to help you much.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MDS86620-Hemi-Walker-Adult/dp/B000F8FGSI

Maybe they can loan you a scooter with a real hemi.. :p :p

I had a co-worker had the same issue. They did go back in and manipulated the knee under anesthesia to basically break up scar tissue and such. The bad thing about it was he had to pretty much restart his PT from scratch. The good thing was he did end up with a significantly improved range of motion. His knee replacement was complicated because of a nearly catastrophic knee injury he had 10 years or so earlier. As you know, you have to be religious about your PT, and some PTs are better than others. Good luck.

Gizmo100 said:
Funny you should say that...They make a real hemi walker. I don't think it's going to help you much.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MDS86620-Hemi-Walker-Adult/dp/B000F8FGSI

Maybe they can loan you a scooter with a real hemi.. :p :p

Yeah, that kinda looks like a hemi Ford or Chevy would make.  ;)

This is why I'm NOT having mine done. My buddy had his right knee replaced and says it's the best thing he has done. He's 74 and walks a couple miles every morning. First off I have NO body to take care of me after surgery, and IF something does go wrong, well I'm just not having it done. With a bad heart and early stages of COPD I can't do much walking anyhow. I finally quit smoking after 55 years, had some bad COPD attacks  back in Feb. thought I was going to die a couple times. Made up my mind after a few weeks on the patch and quit. March 23 at 7:30 in the morning was my last cigarette.  Quit the patch one week later.   

Gator, wishing you the best.

Charlie 5320, congrats on stopping smoking. It's a wicked addiction. Hang in there.

Oldgator73 said:
Went to a new doctor last week and he said he can manipulate the knee under anesthesia. If it works along with intensive PT then everything will be hunky dory.
Sorry to hear about your bad result.  Did you do PT after the replacement?
My doctor told me if I didn't do the PT I would need to have manipulation of the knee under anesthesia.
I did PT after each replacement.  So far they are working great. 

Back
Top Bottom