rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Knee Replacement Didnít Go Well  (Read 909 times)

Oldgator73

• ---
Knee Replacement Didnít Go Well
« on: September 15, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Had my left knee replaced last year and now range of motion is not good. Went to a new doctor last week and he said he can manipulate the knee under anesthesia. If it works along with intensive PT then everything will be hunky dory. A complication could be my leg might break. The other problem is the original doctor did not replace my kneecap. The new Dr says he might have to do that. Worst case I will have to have the knee replaced again.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Re: Knee Replacement Didnít Go Well
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
What's the original doctor say that replaced the knee last year? I would think it should be on him to fix what's broken (so to speak), but I also don't blame you for wanting a 2nd or 3rd opinion either. That's almost always a good idea.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that, a bitter pill to swallow.  Good luck to you.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
What's the original doctor say that replaced the knee last year? I would think it should be on him to fix what's broken (so to speak), but I also don't blame you for wanting a 2nd or 3rd opinion either. That's almost always a good idea.

I went back to the original doctor a couple of times and was told it takes time, be patient. Never actually saw him, saw his NP.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that, a bitter pill to swallow.  Good luck to you.

Thanks Gizmo. Thing is the reason I chose the original Dr was he is a team doctor for the Eagles.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »
Hard to make a decision like that.

My Aunt is 67 and just had a knee replacement Monday.  The doctor slipped with the drill and they had to do a bone graft.  She is in extreme pain and can not put any weight on the leg at all for 4 to 6 weeks to make sure the bone graft takes.

You never know how things are going to go.

Hope you can get through this with no more issues.

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
My wifeís neurosurgeon told us getting old is not for sissies. It seems our most frequent social event is visiting the doctors. We can still take the RV out and I can kayak and fish. But golf and racquetball are out for the time being.

Hard to make a decision like that.

My Aunt is 67 and just had a knee replacement Monday.  The doctor slipped with the drill and they had to do a bone graft.  She is in extreme pain and can not put any weight on the leg at all for 4 to 6 weeks to make sure the bone graft takes.

You never know how things are going to go.

Hope you can get through this with no more issues.

Robin

You never know whatís going to happen when they operate. The doctors are pretty nonchalant when they tell you the risks. A good friend of ours had surgery on her elbow and had to have it manipulated. It broke her arm.
Actually the wasnít all that hard to make. Like I said, as it is I canít play golf, racquetball, ride a bike and itís tough getting socks on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:07:31 PM by scottydl »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
Yikes! Hope that you dont need to go theough the replacement that didn't replace it again. Eh?? Confused...  but get well soon gator..
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in the US till Nov 2019

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this....I was looking forward to you trying to hunt me down for the money you think I owe you ;D ;D

Although it could be fun being chased by a man using a walker :o
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this....I was looking forward to you trying to hunt me down for the money you think I owe you ;D ;D

Although it could be fun being chased by a man using a walker :o

My walker has a Hemi.  ;D
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »
My walker has a Hemi.  ;D

Funny you should say that...They make a real hemi walker. I don't think it's going to help you much.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MDS86620-Hemi-Walker-Adult/dp/B000F8FGSI

Maybe they can loan you a scooter with a real hemi.. :P :P

2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 12:08:12 AM »
I had a co-worker had the same issue. They did go back in and manipulated the knee under anesthesia to basically break up scar tissue and such. The bad thing about it was he had to pretty much restart his PT from scratch. The good thing was he did end up with a significantly improved range of motion. His knee replacement was complicated because of a nearly catastrophic knee injury he had 10 years or so earlier. As you know, you have to be religious about your PT, and some PTs are better than others. Good luck.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »
Funny you should say that...They make a real hemi walker. I don't think it's going to help you much.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-MDS86620-Hemi-Walker-Adult/dp/B000F8FGSI

Maybe they can loan you a scooter with a real hemi.. :P :P

Yeah, that kinda looks like a hemi Ford or Chevy would make.  ;)
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
This is why I'm NOT having mine done. My buddy had his right knee replaced and says it's the best thing he has done. He's 74 and walks a couple miles every morning. First off I have NO body to take care of me after surgery, and IF something does go wrong, well I'm just not having it done. With a bad heart and early stages of COPD I can't do much walking anyhow. I finally quit smoking after 55 years, had some bad COPD attacks  back in Feb. thought I was going to die a couple times. Made up my mind after a few weeks on the patch and quit. March 23 at 7:30 in the morning was my last cigarette.  Quit the patch one week later.   
1996 Damon Challenger 313  454 4l80E

2003 National Dolphin 5320SOLD
98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

IBTripping

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Gator, wishing you the best.

Charlie 5320, congrats on stopping smoking. It's a wicked addiction. Hang in there.
1996 Coachmen Catalina 230BH
2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L

Alpena Jeff

• ---
  • "Life's been good to me so far"
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
Sorry to hear Gator. Keep fighting....I know you will!
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement. Being a Gator if things donít go well I still have three legs left.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
    • rvmama6 blog
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
Best of luck, I hope you're pleasantly surprised.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
Aug 1, 2019- began our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2 aka "home" 
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up
https://rvmama6.home.blog/

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »
Best of luck, I hope you're pleasantly surprised.

At my age being pleasantly surprised is a great thing. I hope your trip is going well. Sounds like fun.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Photog

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
Went to a new doctor last week and he said he can manipulate the knee under anesthesia. If it works along with intensive PT then everything will be hunky dory.
Sorry to hear about your bad result.  Did you do PT after the replacement?
My doctor told me if I didn't do the PT I would need to have manipulation of the knee under anesthesia.
I did PT after each replacement.  So far they are working great. 
Bill
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad result.  Did you do PT after the replacement?
My doctor told me if I didn't do the PT I would need to have manipulation of the knee under anesthesia.
I did PT after each replacement.  So far they are working great.

Did PT and when released went to the gym and worked out.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

House Husband

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
After right knee replacement, I ended up with less than 45į of motion. Had to go back in and manipulate the knee under anesthesia and nerve block. The in home therapist said I needed to move on to a therapy clinic. He was correct. I put a lot of effort on the bicycle to recover my range of motion.
Never again will I allow a butcher to cut on my knee. I went for stem cell treatment on my left knee, in November 2018, and so far I am pain free. $3,200 out of pocket but worth every penny.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 06:38:19 AM »
After right knee replacement, I ended up with less than 45į of motion. Had to go back in and manipulate the knee under anesthesia and nerve block. The in home therapist said I needed to move on to a therapy clinic. He was correct. I put a lot of effort on the bicycle to recover my range of motion.
Never again will I allow a butcher to cut on my knee. I went for stem cell treatment on my left knee, in November 2018, and so far I am pain free. $3,200 out of pocket but worth every penny.

I have the procedure this Wednesday at 1030 then start PT at 2pm same day. The manipulation is on my left knee. The doctor injected my right knee even though I told him it does no good. Stem cell treatment; Iíll have to look into that.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »

How does stem cell treatment work on knee problems?  What exactly does it do to repair knee?
Lowell
Currently without a trailer
2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »
I have the procedure this Wednesday at 1030 then start PT at 2pm same day. The manipulation is on my left knee. The doctor injected my right knee even though I told him it does no good. Stem cell treatment; Iíll have to look into that.
Good luck for tomorrow! Hope it goes well.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow! Hope it goes well.

Thank you Jackie. I am back and time will tell if it worked. I left the surgery center and went right to PT. Canít walk yet as my femoral block is still in effect. I fell while in PT and thought I would pass out from the pain. Should be able to walk tomorrow. I was given a prescription for oxycodone. I donít how people get addicted to this stuff. Makes me feel like crap.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
Thank you Jackie. I am back and time will tell if it worked. I left the surgery center and went right to PT. Canít walk yet as my femoral block is still in effect. I fell while in PT and thought I would pass out from the pain. Should be able to walk tomorrow. I was given a prescription for oxycodone. I donít how people get addicted to this stuff. Makes me feel like crap.

Glad you got through that part. Hope your recovery is steady and successful.

Yeah kinda had the same reaction to that Oxy-stuff. It did make the pain not hurt, but I could tell where it should be hurting, and it just felt really weird.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

ďThere is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
..."

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
When I had my first shoulder replacement,kthe doc gave me oxy-something which made me itch like crazy. The last time he gave me hydro-codone. That worked well. I find that Tylenol works well for me.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »
Good Luck Gator, Hope they figure it out and get you fixed up.  My wife had both knees replaced and I had a hip replaced and we were very fortunate and all went very well.  Everyone we know who had knees and hips replaced did not have any complications.  Just lucky I guess.  I guess we should appreciate our good fortune.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »
Sorry to hear you fell, hope you didn't damage anything.  Fingers crossed for a good outcome!  :-*