Giraffe Creek again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Had another great day flyfishing Giraffe Creek. This small creek can be quite productive, although the native fish can be spooked easily. Elk hair caddis attracted a lot of fish, and I didn't even bother trying grasshoppers which were in abundance.

"Fishing access only" is via a removable section of barbed wire fence on the (southern) downhill slope from Salt Pass on Hwy 89. Leather gloves are recommended for opening up the fence ;)

Jackie, there are numerous productive creeks and streams within a 50-mile radius of here, many with easy access. Some require a short, but easy, hike from the car. The Little Greys River and, to some extent, the Greys River have good/easy access (take a drive on a forest service road from Greys River Road in Alpine Junction). Rivers like the Snake and Salt are favoured by float boaters and kayakers. The Hoback River has good access from Hwy 189 between Alpine and Pinedale.

I'm thinking of bringing my float tube next trip, so I can float a section of the Salt River.

Attachments

• Float tube3.jpg
    Float tube3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Float tube.jpg
    Float tube.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 18
We will need to do more research!  We drove the Greys River Road to Afton it was fantastic with wild flowers everywhere. Also went to one of the little lakes but didn't fish. Also looks decent to boondock.

Thanks for the info!

We drove the Greys River Road to Afton ...

Haven't made that trip, and didn't realize it eventually brings you out on Hwy 89 near Afton. Need a full tank of fuel before making that trip  ;D

Jackie,

Just an FYI, at the ranger station on Hwy 89 in Afton, I purchased NFS maps for various surrounding national forests. $10 each for high-quality maps. Does anyone but us olde fartes use paper maps nowadays?

We got one of the free ones in Alpine.

We use Benchmark maps (the black cover) for each State we visit as Steve likes to look to see where the interesting topography is and we go see.

Old age is starting to take toll on the eyesight and he often downloads a map from their app so he can zoom in. It also lets you track your route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom