Winnebago purchases Newmar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Country Coach purchase was supposed to propel them into the top rank of motorhomes, but they couldn't make a go of it.  Various reasons have been offered, but the bottom line remains the same: an expensive FLOP.  Let's hope the Newmar purchase works out better for both parties.  Meanwhile, I see it as a loss for consumers - market consolidation rarely produces more or better products.  Or pricing.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The Country Coach purchase was supposed to propel them into the top rank of motorhomes, but they couldn't make a go of it.  Various reasons have been offered, but the bottom line remains the same: an expensive FLOP.  Let's hope the Newmar purchase works out better for both parties.  Meanwhile, I see it as a loss for consumers - market consolidation rarely produces more or better products.  Or pricing.

Totally agree. Competition seems to be good for any market.
Consolidation will not/does not benefit consumers.
I for one am sad to hear this news.

With Damon, Dutchmen, Georgie Boy, Keystone, Monaco, Fleetwood, Jayco and now Newmar all folded into corporate behemoths, choice is rapidly being limited.  That is near-always a negative for quality, warranty, and customer service, and those are already in the pits in the RV industry.

UTTransplant said:
. Iowa and Indiana aren?t too far apart, and it will be easier to get cost improvements through shared suppliers.

With Winnebago towables being made in Indiana and Newmar made in Indiana, suppliers are all close by -- Mishawaka and Elkhart.  Maybe makes sense from that angle.

Actually, Newmar approached Winnebago about buying them; https://rvbusiness.com/coach-builder-newmar-a-natural-fit-.../
They wanted a quality owner to keep the business going and improving. Similar to the Grand Design purchase but less expensive for Winnebago.
Indiana Journey

Quote: "They wanted a quality owner to keep the business going and improving."
Yeah, the former owner of Country Coach said the same thing.

About ten years ago before I retired we had a meeting between four people from my company and about ten members of the management team for Newmar.

Both Matthew and his father Mahon were in the meeting.

We were looking at Newmar to produce the 40 foot Diesel Pusher Clinics to use in our Mobile Hospitals.

I worked with their design team to develop about ten different configurations.

We did not end up using Newmar for the units.  We also had similar discussions with Country coach.

Attachments

• 40 bed 4.jpg
    40 bed 4.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 25
  • r200BedNPRGplusAMoHSAngle (2).jpg
    r200BedNPRGplusAMoHSAngle (2).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Saudi EH-Model.jpg
    Saudi EH-Model.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
  • RV3.0(BIOLAB)xMA22210941-0045.jpg
    RV3.0(BIOLAB)xMA22210941-0045.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 15
I think it's a brilliant move by the Miller family to cash in on their decades of investment while the RV market is at a historical peak. They get a bunch of cash, a big chunk of Winnebago stock so they can continue to cash in if the RV industry stays hot, plus they still get to play at running the family company. What's not to like about a deal like that?

For Winnebago, the benefits seem much more subjective. They invest their big supply of cash into a thriving business that [mostly] is not competing with their own products and get some luxury brand bragging rights, but it's difficult for me to see where there is any benefit to their design and manufacturing.  Dealers may benefit from carrying both brands, but they could do that before the merger simply by picking up the franchises they desired. Both companies franchise on a model-by-model basis, so dealers don't now get the whole Newmar line simply because they already carry some Winnebago lines. And they still deal with Newmar sales, service and warranty as separate entities.

The downside for Winnebago is the huge financial burden when RV industry sales inevitably go into the toilet during the next economic downturn. They have two companies (3 with Grand Design) to somehow keep afloat.  They've obviously forgotten 2009-2010. All three companies could go under if it is severe.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think it's a brilliant move by the Miller family to cash in on their decades of investment while the RV market is at a historical peak. They get a bunch of cash, a big chunk of Winnebago stock so they can continue to cash in if the RV industry stays hot, plus they still get to play at running the family company. What's not to like about a deal like that?

Good point.  But there could be another element that's harder to evaluate.  From what I've read on line, Mahon Miller, a very successful inventor/innovator, only made it through 6th grade in his Mennonite School.  Based on that fact alone, in order to achieve what he did, he had to be a very bright, confident, open minded and extremely hardworking young man.  He obviously had large shoes to fill.  There's not much information on his son Matt.  Whether or not Matt was comfortable walking in those shoes will likely never be known. 

Matthew has been President & CEO since 2006 and has received an award from the RVIA for his contributions to the industry, so I think he has had time to get used to those shoes.  However, running a successful mid-sized company in an extremely competitive industry is hardly a 9-5 job. Perhaps he has opted to reduce his stress, maybe even envisioning retirement in a few years.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

For Winnebago, the benefits seem much more subjective. They invest their big supply of cash into a thriving business that [mostly] is not competing with their own products and get some luxury brand bragging rights, but it's difficult for me to see where there is any benefit to their design and manufacturing.  Dealers may benefit from carrying both brands, but they could do that before the merger simply by picking up the franchises they desired. Both companies franchise on a model-by-model basis, so dealers don't now get the whole Newmar line simply because they already carry some Winnebago lines. And they still deal with Newmar sales, service and warranty as separate entities.

The downside for Winnebago is the huge financial burden when RV industry sales inevitably go into the toilet during the next economic downturn. They have two companies (3 with Grand Design) to somehow keep afloat.  They've obviously forgotten 2009-2010. All three companies could go under if it is severe.

I agree.  What goes up, at some point comes down.  Lots of cash for Winnebago to sink in the the recreational industry.  Buying an RV usually comes after making the house payment.  :D

The deal to purchase Newmar actually hasn't been completed yet, the deal should be completed in early 2020.  https://www.streetinsider.com/Globe+Newswire/Winnebago+Industries+to+Acquire+Premium+RV+Manufacturer+Newmar/15916174.html

Winnebago also owns Chris-Craft Industries. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/winnebago-industries-acquire-premium-rv-113000321.html

Back
Top Bottom