Recommendation for better door handle locking mechanism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warboar

Folks,

Like the title says i?m Looking for a better or more secure locking mechanism for my trailer.  I currently have a 2009 Eclipse Attitude  5th Wheel Toy Hauler.  The door locking mechanism on it is fairly worn and it just seems cheap.  I?m using my trailer to live in while working out of town and return home on the weekend.  I am using my trailer as my office while here and that means I have some office equipment and personal belongings being left behind.  I was hoping to find a more secure type of door handle to replace my current one rather than drilling holes in the door and trailer to install a pad lock system. 

Has anyone on here replaced the cheaply built units with a more robust system?  What would you all recommend?

Thank you in advance. 

If you were to tell us the brand and model of your current door latch we might be able to give you some useful advice.

The P.O. of our Sunstar installed a residential keyed deadbolt. I know you don't want to drill holes for a padlock, hasp and staple plate, but this might be more preferable. Plus, the padlock solution has the danger of someone accidentally or purposely locking you in.

ISAAC:
The brand is TIC or at least that is what?s on the handle anyways.
I tried to upload a picture but the file is to large. It?s your typical travel trailer door latch from what I?ve seen on several other trailers.

The door handles are pretty much standard - one standard for towable and a different standard for motor homes.  Prices are all over the map, some with remotes and /or numbered keypads.  I can not speak to their quality, though.

The problem is, it's like locking a tent.  Make the zipper fool proof, they'll just cut the fabric.  No matter what the lock, a crow bar will easily break a RV door open.  Maybe get a better lock, but always close all blinds so prying eyes can't easily see your equipment inside, and always take the laptop with you.  I would think an alarm system might have better results. On that sensed someone walking around, slight warning, someone gets in, loud warning.

I have a 14? utility trailer I use for cargo and for camping.

I wanted an rv door for convenience but also wanted more security when using it for cargo.

So, I had a cargo locking bar installed like the ones on the ramps of toy haulers. I then installed a second padlock hasp (for lack of a better term) so I can lock the cargo bar open when I use it for camping.

I went into a local rv shop in Havasu and he had one like mine and one that had a better locking system (his words). It was cheap enough so I installed it prior to returning back home for the weekend. Hopefully no one will mess with anything.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom