22 foot TT vs 26 foot TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grlakessailor

We are looking to buy our first camping trailer.  I am not worried about what I can tow, but I am worried that too large a trailer will limit the places we can camp.  We have found a 26 foot trailer that is perfect for us.  But we  have also found a 22 footer that would work, it would just not be as comfortable.  After a tent camping trip the past two weeks where we went to Acadia National Park, Camden State Park (ME) and High Point State Park (NJ), I am concerned that a 26 foot trailer may lock us out of some campgrounds.  What do you think?

Welcoe aboard!! I tow a 25' fifth wheel and have never had a problem getting in and out of a fuel stop or campground.  Believe it or not, the longer trailer will be easier to back up, it won't be as prone to jack knifing.

I am not concerned about driving the longer trailer, I have a boat trailer that is 30 feet overall.  I was concerned about length restrictions in campgrounds.

I think you will be happier with the extra room, and rarely or never be hindered over the extra 4 feet. Now, over 30', new story.

You will always find campground where you will not fit no matter how small.  Don't over think it, there is not going to be much difference between 22 and 26 ft, as neither of them will fit in campgrounds with a 20 ft max length.

I've had 18', 22' and 27' trailers. Never had a size problem with any of them.

I'd suggest getting the 26 foot trailer, especially because you said it was perfect for us. The single most important thing to look for in an RV is whether or not both of you like it. 

If you ever find an RV park you can't get a 26 foot trailer into but a 22 foot trailer would fit....post that on here. I'd like to know where it is.

Very likely not going to be much of difference between 22 & 26' in terms of getting campsites.  We had a 28' TT and never had a problem getting a campsite.  We now have a 35' 5th wheel and while a tad more limiting than the 28' TT we once had, even at 35' it has not been problematic.  So if you feel the 26' will better serve your needs & wants, don't let 4' stand in the way of a TT you will more likely enjoy - less you get the smaller one and live to regret it.

I agree with the others. If a campsite is too tight for a 26 foot trailer, a 22 footer isn't going to do much better. I wouldn't sacrifice extra room and comfort for the rare possibility of not being able to get into a campsite.

Kev

Thank you for all the great responses! We did some more research.  My wife found this chart that's says that many national parks have a limit of 35 or 40 feet combined, which I assume means tow vehicle and trailer.  So with a 17 foot truck even the 22 would be technically prohibited in some.  But I also checked the overall length of the two trailers. The overall length of the 22 is only 20 INCHES less than the 26!  I do not understand how this is possible, but that is what the specs say.  So bottom line is that it will make little difference if we go with the 26 instead of the 22, so we will go with the 26.

Attachments

• National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf
    158.4 KB · Views: 9
Are you committed to using only National Park campgrounds?  Most of them have private parks  or city/county parks nearby that can handle larger rigs.

I see the restrictions list has grown in the last decade. We've been to several of those parks with a 40 ft motorhome (+toad) and a 30 ft 5W (+ truck).  The NPS must be getting more conservative, maybe because of the increased traffic and resulting greater problem frequency?

grlakessailor said:
Thank you for all the great responses! We did some more research.  My wife found this chart that's says that many national parks have a limit of 35 or 40 feet combined, which I assume means tow vehicle and trailer.  So with a 17 foot truck even the 22 would be technically prohibited in some.  But I also checked the overall length of the two trailers. The overall length of the 22 is only 20 INCHES less than the 26!  I do not understand how this is possible, but that is what the specs say.  So bottom line is that it will make little difference if we go with the 26 instead of the 22, so we will go with the 26.

Are the trailers listed somewhere at those lengths, or are you just assuming because the model has 22 or 26 in it its that length?  Model designations rarely have anything to do with an actual size of the box.

Gary, I suspect much of it is trees in the campgrounds growing up, when we were at 3 campgrounds in Yellowstone a couple of years ago, all were suffering from untrimmed trees, and saplings growing up at the back edge of the site pavement, preventing overhang.  We are booked into a site at Mathers Campground at the Grand canyon next month that is advertised as fitting a 27 ft trailer, we are in a 29'5" motorhome, so I am crossing my fingers that we will be able to shoe horn in.  It looks plenty big on the drive through youtube video, though may be a bit of a sharp turn to get into the pull out loop (site #44), they are also in the process of repaving that camping loop this month, so hopefully that means any limbs will have been freshly trimmed back.

I've never had someone come out and measure our RV. It's 37.5 feet but when asked my reply is always 35 ft. Never had a problem with the limited camping trips we have taken.
  At Steven Foster Park in Georgia I was told to just pick a spot. I picked one that fit well for us and our toad and later found out that I was in a spot for a MUCH small RV. The Camp managers came out that week and changed the designations to more accurately accommodate the correct sizes.
  Likewise in the Keys at Long Cay I was told that I would have to park our toad in the overflow since it would not fit in the campsite....worked out great with room to park another toad behind it.

Go ahead and get the 26' .  " We have found a 26 foot trailer that is perfect for us.  But we  have also found a 22 footer that would work" that says enough right there, be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom