Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
I presume that was (New) Mexican food you ordered. If it was typical Albuquerque restaurant fare, you can usually ask whether the red or green chile is hotter (often it's the red, but not always), and some places you may be able to get very mild. Most places also offer more normal U.S. fare. The sopapillas that come with the meal in many (most??) NM restaurants (especially with honey) quickly kill the heat, too, as does milk to drink (among other things -- water is the worst).

UTTransplant said:
Those of you who do not appreciate green chili obviously didn?t spend enough time in New Mexico. Green chili is actually an addictive substance, and those who move to the state get addicted after some period of time. If you do not want to be addicted, do not, under any circumstance, eat in a (New) Mexican restaurant in the entire state. You even have to be careful at burger joints where green chili is an acceptable condiment.

Personally, I jumped right into the addiction. I haven?t lived there for almost 30 years, but the addiction is real. These days I feed my addiction primarily with green chili chicken enchiladas made flat, not rolled, in a true New Mexican style. Jalape?os? Tomatillos? Nah. Green chili all the way!
Hate to show my ignorance, but why the parenthesis around (New)?

Dragginourbedaround said:
Hate to show my ignorance, but why the parenthesis around (New)?

We use the parentheses to indicate that New Mexican food is different than what most consider Mexican food. Most Mexican food in the states is red chili or jalape?o based. New Mexican is more green chili based, plus it has echoes of the natives who lived in NM before the Spanish arrived in the late 1500s.

Amen. I lived in NM for 11 years, and when I left I found it difficult to enjoy the Mexican food elsewhere. I've finally found a handful of decent Mexican food in the Denver area, but it's still well short of New Mexican food. One factor (of several) is the green chile we've been discussing, which has an incredible (to me) flavor that is missing almost everywhere else. That flavor comes right through the hot in a fashion that's not true of most other chiles.

Another factor, though not nearly as important as the main dish, is that in New Mexico most places serve sopapillas and honey with the meal (I'm making my mouth water), with refills available if needed, while almost everywhere else if sopapillas are on the menu they are a "dessert" or are filled with the main course.

All in all, New Mexican food is a bit different experience than Mexican food and I, for one, got spoiled there. Thankfully, 505 brand has made some decent New Mexican style green chile sauce available in other areas and even online, so we can still have our homemade enchiladas, breakfast burritos, etc. at home, even if the restaurant experience falls short.

Larry N. said:
Amen. I lived in NM for 11 years, and when I left I found it difficult to enjoy the Mexican food elsewhere. I've finally found a handful of decent Mexican food in the Denver area, but it's still well short of New Mexican food. One factor (of several) is the green chile we've been discussing, which has an incredible (to me) flavor that is missing almost everywhere else. That flavor comes right through the hot in a fashion that's not true of most other chiles.

Another factor, though not nearly as important as the main dish, is that in New Mexico most places serve sopapillas and honey with the meal (I'm making my mouth water), with refills available if needed, while almost everywhere else if sopapillas are on the menu they are a "dessert" or are filled with the main course.

All in all, New Mexican food is a bit different experience than Mexican food and I, for one, got spoiled there. Thankfully, 505 brand has made some decent New Mexican style green chile sauce available in other areas and even online, so we can still have our homemade enchiladas, breakfast burritos, etc. at home, even if the restaurant experience falls short.
Like Larry, I miss sopapillas with meals. Layered enchiladas, not rolled. Chili verde stew. Fry bread from the Jemez Pueblo women cooking it over open fires. Apple empanadas for desert, rolled in cinnamon sugar.

I miss New Mexican food soooooo much. We probably won?t make it there this winter, so I need recommendations is someone knows a New Mexican restaurant in Arizona.

I did wonder why the green chillies we were buying were so mild. Then I realised that the jalapeno is mild and the serrano is hot. Or is it the other way around?
  We only get hot green chillies at home.

jackiemac said:
I did wonder why the green chillies we were buying were so mild. Then I realised that the jalapeno is mild and the serrano is hot. Or is it the other way around?
  We only get hot green chillies at home.
The jalape?o is hot and the serrano is rather hotter. Neither of those is the green chile we're discussing, though, and green chiles do come in various degrees of spicyness, from mild to very hot (without adding jalape?o or other types). I suspect you could order 505 sauces, chiles and such online from the 505 company, which (to me) are much better than most other such things on the market.

Wikipedia has quite an article on New Mexico Chile, for anyone interested.

Larry N. said:
The jalape?o is hot and the serrano is rather hotter. Neither of those is the green chile we're discussing, though, and green chiles do come in various degrees of spicyness, from mild to very hot (without adding jalape?o or other types). I suspect you could order 505 sauces, chiles and such online from the 505 company, which (to me) are much better than most other such things on the market.

Wikipedia has quite an article on New Mexico Chile, for anyone interested.
Ah! I see...

With so much discussion of the green chiles here, I got to pining for them, so yesterday morning's breakfast was homemade breakfast burritos:
  • Flour tortilla (large, for me)
  • Cubed, fried potatoes
  • Bacon strips
  • Sausage, scrambled or patties
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Mexican blend cheese (or your choice of cheese) shredded
  • 505 green chile sauce

Fill tortilla with the ingredients you want, roll it up, cover with cheese and sauce, microwave for 45-60 seconds (in our 1200W oven), or until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

Jackie, I will make you some green chili enchiladas when you are in Death Valley. It is a great Dutch Oven recipe. We are staying in Furnace Creek NPS campground so we can use charcoal (no combustibles allowed at Sunset).

UTTransplant said:
Jackie, I will make you some green chili enchiladas when you are in Death Valley. It is a great Dutch Oven recipe. We are staying in Furnace Creek NPS campground so we can use charcoal (no combustibles allowed at Sunset).
Ooh looking forward to that! Thanks so much.

zmotorsports said:
Looks awesome.

My wife and I have talked about going to this one year but haven't been able to make it yet.  Talked to some friends a couple of weeks ago at the FMCA 4-Wheelers Black Hills Gathering that were going and they told us how much fun it was so I guess we'll have to make more of an effort to get there.

Mike

I'd predict that you'll enjoy it... even with the crowds.

Was in Colorado Springs yesterday and went to a Mexican eatery and one was giving the choice of Red Chile or Hatch Green Chile.  Will be going through  Hatch tomorrow and may stop and shop.

Well that was fun. Had one day of light rain for an hour or so, half a day of cloudy skies, and the rest of the weather was nice. There was only one morning they couldn?t launch due to winds, but that ain?t bad.

We?re spending a couple of days in KOFA before heading home. We?re literally the only RV anywhere in sight. Gorgeous weather here! Debra.... sorry we could?t hook up. The mass of humanity in the launch area, and the distance between us made it difficult. By the way, are you gonna tell everyone about your new GPS, or am I?  ;D

Kev

Attachments

• E227ECFF-BE4E-42A3-93E4-F9E7962F4392.jpeg
    E227ECFF-BE4E-42A3-93E4-F9E7962F4392.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 7A98AB84-5ACA-44A1-BF00-A23BDD09B929.jpeg
    7A98AB84-5ACA-44A1-BF00-A23BDD09B929.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 7
  • B8C20E2A-55CA-4C7E-BF8C-A3BB3558C6E3.jpeg
    B8C20E2A-55CA-4C7E-BF8C-A3BB3558C6E3.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DE07754E-8871-487E-BDDD-B63566B7056A.jpeg
    DE07754E-8871-487E-BDDD-B63566B7056A.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 70136F23-142B-4787-8F60-EA48BAD75049.jpeg
    70136F23-142B-4787-8F60-EA48BAD75049.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
You?re killing me. Wish there was one more MH in KOFA. ;)
I?ve had to run the furnace the last two nights and will again tonight to protect from freezing.
Theresa says we are done until we leave for KOFA in January. Guess I better winterize.  :(

Tom, if it makes you and Theresa feel any better, it?s only supposed to get up to about 79 here today, but the mild breeze will make it feel more like 75. (Brrrrr...) No wonder no one else is out here! This hardcore boondocking ain?t for everyone. ;D

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Well that was fun. Had one day of light rain for an hour or so, half a day of cloudy skies, and the rest of the weather was nice. There was only one morning they couldn?t launch due to winds, but that ain?t bad.

We?re spending a couple of days in KOFA before heading home. We?re literally the only RV anywhere in sight. Gorgeous weather here! Debra.... sorry we could?t hook up. The mass of humanity in the launch area, and the distance between us made it difficult. By the way, are you gonna tell everyone about your new GPS, or am I?  ;D

Kev

Be my guest Kevin, haha!  Actually I don?t have the GPS. It was still working and was returned to the balloon pilot. I?m scheduled with an installer in Tucson to have my solar panel replaced the first week of November.

Oh man....now everyone will be able to figure it out before I have a chance to embellish the story. Anyway... Debra got upgraded to a fancy/smancy site overlooking the takeoff area. One morning, when all the balloons were taking off, someone dropped a GPS out of their gondola. Of all the places it could have landed, fate directed to one of Debra?s solar panels, shattering it.

Maybe that was a good thing. If it had hit your roof, who knows, it might have punched a hole in it. Glad you?re getting the panel replaced soon.

Kev

Yes I?m glad it hit the panel rather than the roof. Who knows how much damage it would have done to the roof. Also I?m glad I was home when it happened. Since the panels were still charging I wouldn?t have noticed anything wrong. It?s just been a few weeks since I cleaned and inspected the roof and panels. So it may have been a good while before I went up there.

I wouldn?t really call where I was parked fancy!  The only plus is it?s proximity to the launch field. Although Friday it was waterfront property for awhile LOL!

Attachments

• 20CE6D48-B590-4127-AC32-6341AC5F5736.jpeg
    20CE6D48-B590-4127-AC32-6341AC5F5736.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 4C15B983-C98A-4C06-B8AE-9465DD086535.jpeg
    4C15B983-C98A-4C06-B8AE-9465DD086535.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 23
  • BA101CA7-C463-4CF7-81AB-55A01BFF94E2.jpeg
    BA101CA7-C463-4CF7-81AB-55A01BFF94E2.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
I thought you meant "waterfront property" figuratively until I saw the pictures! Sure did a number on the panel. Looks like an upgrade opportunity.

Were you inside when it hit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom