rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Roof leaving white strips  (Read 453 times)

JD Sharp

• ---
Roof leaving white strips
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
What can be done to stop a white roof from leaving white strips down side of motorhome. I wash the roof when I do the sides. That lasts for only a week or so. Is there a paint or clear coat I can seal it with. I am not afraid putting in the work if the results are long lasting.
2012 Allegro Red 38QRA
2015 Chevy Sonic

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Roof leaving white strips
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
You can use a floor wax or one of the "rubber roof" protectant products to temporarily seal the finish, but nothing stops chalking for very long. The chalky surface loosens and the wax or sealant comes away with it.

Does the Allegro Red have a fiberglass roof?  If so, the chalk is mostly likely detriorating paint.  Fiberglass can be repainted and that should resist further chalking for 8-10 years.  My recommendation for a fiberglass roof paint is Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating. It did a terrific job on my 2004 American Tradition fiberglass roof.  I used a simpler prep method than the laborious process that Dicor describes (and sells extra products for).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:02:40 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
We and several other folks here had this issue with our fiberglass roofs (story: here). It was quite unlike chalking I've seen for years on untreated/unprotected fiberglass boats. In the case of our coach, the problem eventually quit, although I hadn't done anything to improve/stop the issue.

Our roof, now 16 years old, currently  looks like it needs a coat of 'something', and I'll probably try the stuff that Gary mentioned.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

ELeland

• ---
  • Jupiter, Florida
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
I just did the Dicor fiberglass roof coating on mine.  No more chalking fiberglass or streaks down the sides.  So far so good!
2007 Country Coach Allure 40' 31571 - ISL 400 Cummins
2018 Explorer Sport

2003 Airstream Land Yacht 365 XC - 3126E Cat - SOLD!