New Adventurer gas models all on Ford chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penman39

I wonder if any manufacturer will step in to fill the void left by Workhorse. I have a 2002 Adventurer and I really like the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1L Vortec and Ally tranny.

Any rumors of another alternative to the Ford V-10 and F53 chassis in the future. My cousin's 2005 Georgie Boy RV is on the Ford platform and it doesn't impress me.

I heard that several Spartan chassis with the PSI 8.8 liter gas engine were on the way to Forrest City.

Arch Hoagland said:
https://www.huskerpowerproducts.com/product-pages/gm/irrigation/psi-8.8l 

Looks interesting.

I didn?t see gasoline as an option. LPG though would let you have just one tank for all your fuel needs and fairly easy to refuel with propane available more readily than CNG. Less horsepower but more torque. Torque peak at 1800rpm vs 3200 for the Vortec.

2006 was the year of big improvements on the Ford F53 chassis.
There was no 2005 version of the F53, so any 2005 motorhome on a Ford chassis was built on a 2004-spec chassis. Ford cancelled the planned 2005 refinement in favor of a more substantial upgrade for 2006. They needed it to compete with the Workhorse Wxx series chassis.
Some of the improvements are:
o 5-speed automatic with Tow/Haul mode became standard
o 3-valve V10 standard in all chassis configurations
o Electronic throttle control added
o Front track bar added and strengthened front suspension
o More configurations used 22.5" wheels instead of 19.5", and all 19.5" wheels were the robust 10-lug version.
o Stiffer frame rails for better chassis rigidity

Gary RV_Wizard said:
There was no 2005 version of the F53, so any 2005 motorhome on a Ford chassis was built on a 2004-spec chassis. Ford cancelled the planned 2005 refinement in favor of a more substantial upgrade for 2006. They needed it to compete with the Workhorse Wxx series chassis.
Some of the improvements are:
o 5-speed automatic with Tow/Haul mode became standard
o 3-valve V10 standard in all chassis configurations
o Electronic throttle control added
o Front track bar added and strengthened front suspension
o More configurations used 22.5" wheels instead of 19.5", and all 19.5" wheels were the robust 10-lug version.
o Stiffer frame rails for better chassis rigidity

The front track bar, and the stiffer frame rails were introduced on the 2004 model.

Ford is replacing the V-10 engine with a 7.3L gas V-8 in 2020 in it's F-250 and larger trucks, including the F53 chassis and the E-series cutaway vans.

The new V-8 is a true medium duty truck engine designed for low end power and torque versus the high revving V-10 which was classified as a light duty engine.  It will be an option on the F-250 and above and standard on the F-550 and larger chassis, including the F-53 stripped chassis.

The new engine will coupled to a 10 speed automatic on the pickup trucks through the F-600 models and to a heavy duty 6 speed automatic on the F-650, F-750 and the F53 chassis.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/08/01/ford-73-liter-V8-best-in-class-gas-power-torque-heavy-duty-pickup.html

penman39 said:
I didn?t see gasoline as an option. LPG though would let you have just one tank for all your fuel needs and fairly easy to refuel with propane available more readily than CNG. Less horsepower but more torque. Torque peak at 1800rpm vs 3200 for the Vortec.
I think you would be disappointed with the milage.
This looks like a stationary engine for industrial or farming applications.
Bill

Nope. Track bar. Mine has one. Wasn't standard on all the GVWR versions though. From the 2004 "What's new" guide:

Heavy Duty Track Bar Front Suspension is included with 22,000 lb. GVWR chassis, optional on 15.7, 18 and 20K GVWRs

So it just became standard on the 18K and 20K chassis in 2006, instead of being an option.

Big change was the frame though. Ride height was raised 2.6" so that the frame rails could stay the same height all the way to the back. They had previously narrowed down at the rear axle. 

Lou Schneider said:
Ford is replacing the V-10 engine with a 7.3L gas V-8 in 2020 in it's F-250 and larger trucks, including the F53 chassis and the E-series cutaway vans.

The new V-8 is a true medium duty truck engine designed for low end power and torque versus the high revving V-10 which was classified as a light duty engine.  It will be an option on the F-250 and above and standard on the F-550 and larger chassis, including the F-53 stripped chassis.

The new engine will coupled to a 10 speed automatic on the pickup trucks through the F-600 models and to a heavy duty 6 speed automatic on the F-650, F-750 and the F53 chassis.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/08/01/ford-73-liter-V8-best-in-class-gas-power-torque-heavy-duty-pickup.html

I wonder if the F-53 chassis will get the 6-spd. 10 speeds seems like overkill and constant shifting for Motorhome use.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Re-read what you quoted.  It says the F53 gets a heavy duty 6-speed.

To which I say.....Duh! My Bad. Ford showing some common sense there. Now if they would just make the new Baby Bronco flat towable.

Old time gear heads often are uneasy with lots of gears in an automatic because it seems to shift a lot (it does - that's why they are there). Ironically, they love it in a manual tranny and may wax poetically about the glories of a 10 speed Eaton or Spicer.

Additional gears represent a trade-off between efficiency and complexity.  More gears yield more efficient power transfer and thus improved fuel economy and acceleration, but the additional complexity has cost and reliability downsides.  The shifting itself is not a problem in a modern automatic, which, unlike the automatics of the 1950's & 1960's,  shifts both quickly and smoothly. However, heavy vehicles are either cruising or accelerating under load, so have less use for in-between gears.  A 6-speed still appears to be the magic number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom