Suggestions to help me choose the good camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DenF250

I just bought a 2006 F250 SD XLT X-Cab Long Box 4X4, the GVWR is 9400lb  4800 front  6100 Rear with LT265/70R17 Tires.
These specs are from the constructor door sticker. There is also another sticker on the door saying that cargo and passenger weigh must not exceed 2548 lbs.
Now since I'm not really interrested in pop-up camper and my needs are if possible : Shower, queen size bed(preferably not sideway), heater/AC, but I'm not necessary looking for a big size model, I would appreciate if you have any suggestions on the weight, make, and the length of the camper I should look for considering that I will probably go for a used but not old one. 96 and up maybe (sorry budget needs). Up to now I've seen some but they are around 2300 to 2500 lbs dry is it too heavy considering the 2548 lbs on the second sticker ?
Hope that this is not too confusing (I'm newbee in RV) I will appreciate your help !

Thank's
Den

Den,

It sounds like you are looking for a tow-behind pop-up.  That truck will have no problem towing it.  Your tow rating is in the 10,000 range.  We just sole our 2003 Coachman Classic w/slideout to move up to a TC.  We loved the pop-up for the being outdoors feeling, but wanted to start bring a boat with us.
Good luck,
Bob

Duh!
I am so used to a pop-up being what we used to have I didn't even consider it a truck camper (until I thought about the question being in the truck camper list)
Sorry
Bob

Dean,

We have have at least one truck camper person here so you should get a good answer when he shows up.

Meanwhile two thoughts.

As you've seen, your "cargo and passenger weigh must not exceed 2548 lbs" (Net Cargo Capacity - NCC in other words) is going to be an issue.  I think when you find and read the fine print that that assumes a half tank of fuel & 150 lb driver.  I don't know about you but I exceed that spec.  A camper that exceeds the NCC dry is not a good plan.

Ran into an old friend this winter in a campground in Florida.  He had a truch camper & was pulling a Baha.  He said it was easy to get the camper off the truck, but not easy to get it back on.  He said that you have about 1/2" tolerance in backing under the camper.  So he tows a vehicle.

Not what you want to hear, but maybe you want to think about a trailer/fifth wheel and/or a bigger truck.

Joel

Thank's gents for the advice. in reality I'm looking for a camper that goes in the truck because I will tow a small boat and I go to remote places where there is not enough places to get around when towing a fifth and a boat at the same time. Sorry if I make you think that it was a tow pop-up I'm french and my English writing can be confusing  :-\ what I meant was that some slide-in campers have roof that actually pop-up (I think that they are lighter than the regular one) but I don't want to go with those models (prefer to have a regular one).

So I will take joelmeyer advice and make sure that I will not go over my NCC but I think that there are some
Brand of slide-in camper that are not to heavy.

For Example Lance 815 seems to be 1780 lbs Dry do you think that it is too much and is somebody have other suggestions for a bit longer and not too heavy camper that have the shower.

Thank's in advance for your help !

Den

Dean,

Your F-250 sounds pretty decent as a towing vehicle. I don't think you really need to look at truck campers, you could tow something in  the 8,000 lb range safely.

Good luck.

OK, what we have here is a need for a TC so that he can also tow a boat.  F250 with a 2500 lb carry capacity.  TC's are made in this range, and while the WP will scream, many out there are operated safely at and above this number.  In fairness to spec's lets try to stay under.  Don't get a pop-up TC.  A?C doesn't work as good, you have canvas to deal with.  The door is a hobbitt door. 

Staying within the 8' camper, no overhang, gives you the most TC for the buck and weight.  Try to get one in the 1700 lb range.  We have an 8' Travel-Lite Mountain Star.  This is 1700 wet.  I am sure you can find one like that nearby.  Wet bath, a/c, stove fridge q-bed (sideways). 

Want the longways Q-bed, dry bath etc, you need a truck with more capacity. 

Anything over 8' and you need to get a hitch extension.  Stay at 8' and you can deal with what is on the truck.

Good luck in the search.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom