CP4 fuel pump fails in 2011-2015?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopelessdiy

If I'm beating  a dead horse please let me know.  I'm curious to know what kind of failure rates are RVers seeing on cp4 fuel pumps.  I've got an 06 LBZ DMAX and was thinking about upgrading to a newer used one but I dropped that idea pretty quickly.  Reading on the DMAX forum the best guess is that for DMAXs with the CP4 fuel pump ie between 2011-15 with >100K miles somewhere around 10-20% are failing with huge repair bills, ~$12K+.  It has been argued that since DMAXs don't have a lift pump that they are more susceptible to this problem.  However, I see that there is a Ford class action lawsuit on the issue so they aren't immune.  GM did switch to the Denso pump so they finally figured it out.

I did a search on cp4 on the site  and didn't find many complaints.  I'm wondering if the DMAX crowd is overreacting?  However, after seeing a cp3 vs cp4 comparison I'm surprised the failures aren't even higher.  I wouldn't put a cp4 on a lawn tractor.

Yes CP4 pumps fail at a higher rate than CP3 pumps.  If you are looking to step up to a LML truck and want piece of mind look into a CP3 swap.  Plenty of kits available from no programming full emission to full race swaps.  I knew of the pump problems when I bought my 2015 with 180k miles on it.  2 reasons I was comfortable buying the truck. The fuel system had been replaced recently. (way to clean to not have been) And I have the tools and skills to do a CP3 swap myself. I plan to do the swap in the spring.

For what its worth I have no regrets.  This truck is a tow beast.  Its comfortable on a long trip.  And gets great mileage. 

tks for the feedback.  Its great its made it that far.  I wonder if previous owner had been adding lubricant to fuel?  Sounds like you are doing all the right things, congrats.

There are some folks so paranoid that they have decided to park their truck until they can get the cp4 replaced with the cp3 kit.  I wonder if the dmaxs are more prone to the problem since they don't come with a lift pump?

I just added a lift pump to my 06.  Last time I towed my camper it went into limp mode and after going thru all the other potential problems I decided to add the lift pump and think it fixed the problem.  My 06 is a towing beast too but it is a WT 2WD basic truck but the LBZ has been great up until that limp issue that I suspect was being caused by soft fuel lines being sucked closed hence the lift pump addition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom