How can I cast/screen mirror my Win10 PC to my TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

My very simple setup:
  • No network
  • Win 10 notebook
  • TV with 2 spare HDMI ports and USB port
  • iPhone 8
  • Roku box
I've read the Roku box has screen mirroring but it's in permanent beta and unreliable. Read a PC's native ability to cast is dependent upon the processor. Also read about a device I could plug into a PC USB port that would cast the screen, casting (I believe) to another device plugged into one of the HDMI ports.

Those offering suggestions please write slowly and use crayons  ;)

A lot of newer laptops have a HDMI out port. If so it will plug directly into your TV. If you don't have a HDMI port on the laptop then you likely have a display port and can use this adapter or the usb adapter Lou mentioned.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DP-to-HDMI-Cable-TSV-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Male-to-Male-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Cord-for-Lenovo-HP-ASUS-Dell-and-Other-Brand-6-Feet-Black/831315737?athcpid=831315737&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=ae58e161-aec-16d70264e408a0&athancid=null&athena=true

If you want to sit across the room without a cable attached then you will need a Chromecast and a travel router see link below:

https://www.lifewire.com/use-chromecast-without-wi-fi-4174601

Thanks for the replies. I meant to ask if there was a way to do this wirelessly. While I do have and HDMI output on the PC I'd rather not string a wire

Back2PA said:
Thanks for the replies. I meant to ask if there was a way to do this wirelessly. While I do have and HDMI output on the PC I'd rather not string a wire

Unless you have a smart TV the travel router I mentioned is about your only option that I know of. It does not require internet or any kind of connection outside your RV.

Scott, I've got a little device that looks like a USB flash drive, but it plugs into a TV's HDMI port, not a USB port. Once it's plugged in, and I switch my TV to that HDMI input, my Windows 10 laptop sees it, and whatever I see and hear on my laptop is cast to the TV. I'm not near the RV right now, and I can't remember the name of the product (sorry) but I got it at Best Buy and it cost about $50. It doesn't work with iPhones, which is what I have, but it's supposed to work with Android devices too.

Kev

Thanks all. I'm thinking the best option will just go with wired (HDMI). Probably more reliable and cheaper. My desk is adjacent to the TV so it's relatively easy, was just hoping for a robust wireless solution.

Back2PA said:
Thanks all. I'm thinking the best option will just go with wired (HDMI). Probably more reliable and cheaper. My desk is adjacent to the TV so it's relatively easy, was just hoping for a robust wireless solution.

"Robust Wi-Fi" may be an oxymoron. HDMI from PC to TV will prove very satisfactory, I believe.
We have our PC attached to TV via HDMI and then a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. on the PC

We seldom use the broadcast or cable TV. We use the PC to connect to most services, Netfix/Amazon/Hulu/PBS, and feed the TV

Via Amazon or your favorite electronics store:

Google Chromecast (3rd Generation)
by Google
4.4 out of 5 stars    1,411 ratings  | 656 answered questions
Price: $35.00  & FREE Returns
Get $70 off instantly: Pay $0.00 $35.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.
All together Now: watch movies, shows, live TV, YouTube, and photos streaming on your TV from all your family?s devices
Stream from your phone to your TV. Just like that. Plug Chromecast into the HDMI port on your TV and to power and stream your favorite entertainment right from your phone with just a tap. Watch shows, listen to playlists, and more
Works with streaming apps you know and love. Enjoy TV shows, movies, videos, songs, games, sports and more from over 2000 apps like Netflix, YouTube, YouTube TV, Prime video, and HBO Now
Start streaming with just your voice. Just say what you want to watch from compatible apps and control your TV hands-free, with Chromecast and Google home working seamlessly together
Upgrade your TV for less. Expand your home entertainment without buying a new TV. It?s so affordable you can get one for every TV in the house.Supported Operating systems - Android 4.2 and higher, IOS 9.1 and higher, Mac OS X 10.9 and higher, Windows 7 and higher.Chromecast works with cast enabled apps.Power: 5 Volt , 1 a Power supply

taoshum said:
Via Amazon or your favorite electronics store:

Google Chromecast (3rd Generation)
by Google
4.4 out of 5 stars    1,411 ratings  | 656 answered questions
Price: $35.00  & FREE Returns
Get $70 off instantly: Pay $0.00 $35.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.
All together Now: watch movies, shows, live TV, YouTube, and photos streaming on your TV from all your family?s devices
Stream from your phone to your TV. Just like that. Plug Chromecast into the HDMI port on your TV and to power and stream your favorite entertainment right from your phone with just a tap. Watch shows, listen to playlists, and more
Works with streaming apps you know and love. Enjoy TV shows, movies, videos, songs, games, sports and more from over 2000 apps like Netflix, YouTube, YouTube TV, Prime video, and HBO Now
Start streaming with just your voice. Just say what you want to watch from compatible apps and control your TV hands-free, with Chromecast and Google home working seamlessly together
Upgrade your TV for less. Expand your home entertainment without buying a new TV. It?s so affordable you can get one for every TV in the house.Supported Operating systems - Android 4.2 and higher, IOS 9.1 and higher, Mac OS X 10.9 and higher, Windows 7 and higher. Chromecast works with cast enabled apps.Power: 5 Volt , 1 a Power supply
I suggested Chromecast at the top of this thread and was ignored. Maybe he hates Google.

SeilerBird said:
I suggested Chromecast at the top of this thread and was ignored. Maybe he hates Google.

I didn't ignore you Tom, I thanked everyone.

While wired now seems like the best plan, I'll be looking at all options in a couple weeks. I don't want to get technology just for technology's sake but if it offers more utility I'll consider it

SeilerBird said:

That could work.
But I don't want to be all that dependent on Google. They already know too much about my entertainment habits

There are many "Cast" devices. I do not recall but I believe I've cast using ChromeCast from my Win-10 box. (I know I can cast from my Chrome books but I mostly do not do it)

THe requirement is both devices NEED to be on a common router
So if you have Wi-Fi Ranger in the RV, or you are using your personal hotspot
you are good to go.

There is another trick you can use too.. but it requires a 2nd Computer. A program called TEAM VIEWER lets another user "Share" your screen. He an also control it. I recently used it and a friend found a typo for me..  He uses it all the time to help folks all over the world

But you put a low end laptop with Team Viewer on it in the "Remote operator" mode and put the computer you are using in the "Guy getting help" mode and the remote op computer will send everything to the "monitor" connected.

For this they do NOT have to be on teh same wi-fi router. but it's way easier if they are.

I have one that one too between two Win-boxes in my rig.

What? JFD made a typo?  Unbelievable!

"I recently used it and a friend found a typo for me."

Yeah this program sounds like the thing the guy from "windows support " with the Indian accent wanted me to install on my computer. Uh huh, sure thing buddy.

Back2PA said:
I didn't ignore you Tom, I thanked everyone.

While wired now seems like the best plan, I'll be looking at all options in a couple weeks. I don't want to get technology just for technology's sake but if it offers more utility I'll consider it
Sorry I missed that Scott.

My automatic thought was wireless, but (from what I've read) casting/mirroring can be fiddly (unless you're a Chromebook/Google fanatic, gosh who would that be? cough cough  ;) ;D ). My notebook is about 7 years old (i.e., ancient), Win10 but upgraded from Win7. I've read that alone can be an issue. The reality is that I never watch cable or OTA, just stream or DVD. Very occasionally I might want to stream from a browser. What got me thinking about this was a post about the Ken Burns series on country music. I'd like to watch it but don't have cable, and don't want to watch it on a 10" notebook.

I then thought maybe it would be cool if I could do it from my phone, but a simple wire is probably the most reliable solution. I'll address it when I get settled in FL

Back2PA said:
My automatic thought was wireless, but (from what I've read) casting/mirroring can be fiddly (unless you're a Chromebook/Google fanatic, gosh who would that be? cough cough  ;) ;D ). My notebook is about 7 years old (i.e., ancient), Win10 but upgraded from Win7. I've read that alone can be an issue. The reality is that I never watch cable or OTA, just stream or DVD. Very occasionally I might want to stream from a browser. What got me thinking about this was a post about the Ken Burns series on country music. I'd like to watch it but don't have cable, and don't want to watch it on a 10" notebook.

I then thought maybe it would be cool if I could do it from my phone, but a simple wire is probably the most reliable solution. I'll address it when I get settled in FL
Steve can discuss with you tomorrow!

This is what you need.

1. Plug into the back of your TV's HDMI & USB (for power) port.

2. Change the input to that HDMI port the device is plugged into

3. On Win 10 computer push the IIRC Windows button along with the "K" key, the device should show up on you available window that will pop out from the side.

4. Click your device, in a few seconds your computer screen should show up on your TV.

5. Picture is good, on movies the TV screen will be a little darker than a wired connection. I am picky though and love the device.

Note: I had a New laptop that had not been updated for the software and it would not locate this device. Make sure Win 10 is updated.

You will love the freedom.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter-v2-receiver-dark-titanium/4974200.p?skuId=4974200

Back
Top Bottom