How can I cast/screen mirror my Win10 PC to my TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had Chromecast but it didn't work reliably without a wi fi network being available to start.  Amazon firestick always works.  Maybe they have updated the Chromecast but it was a nightmare when no wifi available.

Just for anyone considering this option....

I use AirParrot2. Check it out here: https://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/  Very inexpensive and works great. Version for MAC, Windows, Chrome or a Universal version.

Back2PA said:
a simple wire is probably the most reliable solution.

Update. I purchased an HDMI cable and was about to install it and go look for the Ken Burns documentary which got this all started, and I discovered I don't have an HDMI output on the notebook after all. The port I thought was HDMI is something else (see attached, what is that? ??? ). So next question, there are many USB to HDMI adapters, many which are described as "Display" or "Video converter". Since my goal is to get sound and video from my notebook to the TV, those descriptions sound a little as-if they only transport the video signal. True? Then there's one described as "display with audio support" which sounds like what I need. Since this is an older notebook is there any chance I won't be able to get the audio over to the TV via USB to HDMI? Thx

Attachments

• 978CBF14-E15E-47CD-A9FF-AC0DDED52C4F.jpeg
    978CBF14-E15E-47CD-A9FF-AC0DDED52C4F.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 19
Steve says he thinks it's a display port & - check your notebook spec to be sure. Same signals as HDMI but you need a specific cable obviously.

Amazon choice has one and you plug HDMI into that.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Compatible-Computers/dp/B005H3I38Q/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-ZGlzcGxheXBvcnQgdG8gaGRtaSBhZGFwdGVy-ac_d_rm&crid=O0YRKW89SP5P&cv_ct_cx=displayport+to+hdmi+adapter&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi+adapter&pd_rd_i=B005H3I38Q&pd_rd_r=18c7311a-95d6-4fbe-90cf-e0f35b8c3a84&pd_rd_w=qoP85&pd_rd_wg=tGkPo&pf_rd_p=e2f20af2-9651-42af-9a45-89425d5bae34&pf_rd_r=WJVNM9YCSKHR2B7CVRQG&psc=1&qid=1579963409&sprefix=display+port+to+hdmi%2Caps%2C313&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

jackiemac said:
Steve says he thinks it's a display port & - check your notebook spec to be sure. Same signals as HDMI but you need a specific cable obviously.

Thanks Jackie (and Steve). According to the User Guide it is indeed a display port. When I used to use the computer in the office I used a docking station and had a second display hooked up to the docking station, and I had small speakers which I just plugged into a 3.5mm jack if I recall (docking station is in storage). Is it a certainty that audio is also available at the display port? It seems probable based upon the description of the adapter link you provided:
  • "HDMI to DisplayPort adapter transmits high-definition audio and video from your computer with DisplayPort to an HDTV with HDMI for video streaming or gaming; Display Port to HDMI adapter connects and configures your monitor for an Extended Desktop or Mirrored Display"

Display ports usually support multiple audio but you need to check spec for notebook.

Steve says if it does support it but doesn't work immediately then you might need to download a different driver.

jackiemac said:
Display ports usually support multiple audio but you need to check spec for notebook.

Steve says if it does support it but doesn't work immediately then you might need to download a different driver.

The descriptions says, "Connects a digital display device, such as a high-performance monitor or projector." Doesn't say anything about audio, guess I'll just order the adapter and give it a try. Guessing I may have some trouble finding new drivers for an old notebook, hopefully that won't come up.

LarsMac said:
We have our PC attached to TV via HDMI and then a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. on the PC

Same here. Perhaps the easiest, foolproof option. Don't have to install anything.

Back2PA said:
The descriptions says, "Connects a digital display device, such as a high-performance monitor or projector." Doesn't say anything about audio, guess I'll just order the adapter and give it a try. Guessing I may have some trouble finding new drivers for an old notebook, hopefully that won't come up.
Display ports do support audio but there may be some cheapo adapters that may not. I got a cheapo display port to HDMI adapter off Ebay for $5 and it has had a perfect picture and audio for 3 years. HDMI cables also vary in quality so if you have a long run or interference you might need a cable with more shielding.

msw3113 said:
Alas, no joy. Bought the dongle and installed, updated firmware, with result that video plays fine but no sound. 
Next I may try BruceinFL's suggestion about AirParrot2.

You will likely have to go to the control panel and select the TV as the default sound output. My display port is named E371VL with the green checkmark beside it in the picture below.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-25 214500.png
    Annotation 2020-01-25 214500.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 8
No success.  Entered the control panel screen referenced, ensured that the Intel Wi-Fi device has green checkmark.  The horizontal bars to the right register as volume increases, but still nothing from TV.
A return trip to Best Buy is in our future, maybe to exchange for a 15-pin (video output plug) to HDMI adapter and HDMI cord.

Attachments

• sound panel.JPG
    sound panel.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 8
jymbee said:
Same here. Perhaps the easiest, foolproof option. Don't have to install anything.

X3. I'm using that setup right now sitting back in my recliner using the big screen as my monitor. I haven't opened or even touched my laptop in 3 years. Takes maybe 5 minutes to set everything up.

TLRam1 said:
This is what you need.

1. Plug into the back of your TV's HDMI & USB (for power) port.

2. Change the input to that HDMI port the device is plugged into

3. On Win 10 computer push the IIRC Windows button along with the "K" key, the device should show up on you available window that will pop out from the side.

4. Click your device, in a few seconds your computer screen should show up on your TV.

5. Picture is good, on movies the TV screen will be a little darker than a wired connection. I am picky though and love the device.

Note: I had a New laptop that had not been updated for the software and it would not locate this device. Make sure Win 10 is updated.

You will love the freedom.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter-v2-receiver-dark-titanium/4974200.p?skuId=4974200

I picked up one of these at a Best Buy. Tried it out a little today and it worked great. I have a new laptop that came with Windows 10 so no issues with connecting. It was nice not having to duck under that HDMI cable. ?

jackiemac said:

And it works! Thanks Jackie. Only thing I have to figure out is some background static noise I'm getting. When I pause a video it's quite noticeable, not so much when the video is playing. The noise is rhythmic, I'm wondering if it's one of my external drives. Will have to start disconnecting stuff and see what happens.

Attachments

• screencast via video port and HDMA.jpg
    screencast via video port and HDMA.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 10
Back2PA said:
My very simple, (??), setup:
  • No network
  • Win 10 notebook
  • TV with 2 spare HDMI ports and USB port
  • iPhone 8
  • Roku box
I've read the Roku box has screen mirroring but it's in permanent beta and unreliable. Read a PC's native ability to cast is dependent upon the processor. Also read about a device I could plug into a PC USB port that would cast the screen, casting (I believe) to another device plugged into one of the HDMI ports.

Those offering suggestions please write slowly and use crayons  ;)
Back2PA
If you want SIMPLE...you only need a HDMI cable. ...(run it directly FROM your computer TO your TV).

mel s said:
Back2PA
If you want SIMPLE...you only need a HDMI cable. ...(run it directly FROM your computer TO your TV).

That's exactly what I did, using a video out to HDMI cable

Back
Top Bottom