Question Help With Water Regulator Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

We have a Valterra Lead-Free Brass Adjustable Water Regulator which is 3-months old.  I have it set at 45-PSI and today I checked it and found it reading 80-PSI, which is the campground reported water pressure.  I immediately shut off the water and switched to on-board water supply via the water pump, then disconnected the water hose and connected a garden hose, after a short period of time the pressure returned to the 45-PSI I set it for.  After frequent checks throughout the day and confirming the pressure was correct, I reconnected our water supply hose and so far it is reporting the correct pressure.  As a side note, prior to this discovery my wife had been running water and she said she did not notice any increase in water pressure from the sinks and thought it was what we had been getting.  Any thoughts and or suggestions is appreciated.

Could be a bad regulator or possibly something in the water that threw it off.

The most common failure of regulators is the inability to shut down 100% after the set point is reached. A slight leak of water after the set point will eventually turn up the water pressure to the supply pressure. The $10-$15 fixed regulators are notorious for this and can be noticed when a coach water tap in opened and an initial pressure burst occurs then settling in to the set pressure. They become more of a flow regulator than a pressure regulator.

Your adjustable valve is probably a design that is used in commercial applications and should keep the pressure at the set point.

The best time to check the pressure is in the morning or when there has not been any water taps opened in the coach for 8 hours or so. If you find the pressure is building, return the defective valve.

Another thing to try would be to turn the adjustment screw to the lowest setting then bring it up to your desired set point.

I don?t know what happened to cause your problem, but I?m on my fourth adjustable water pressure regulator. Two leaked and one broke in half. One was replaced and two I had to eat. I continue to use them because I like my pressure to be 50 to 60 psi. As a backup I have a small water pressure restrictor that keeps the pressure to 40 psi. They?re cheap and most people here will tell you they don?t work. I?ve had mine for five years and verify the pressure frequently. It?s been more reliable than the more expensive models. You might benefit by having one as a backup to use instead of switching to your water tank.

Thank you both for your helpful replies which I will keep in mind, but as of right now my pressure regulator has been holding at the set point I have set.  Will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

The regulator might have had a bit of debris in the valve that has since moved on.  One other possibility is that the air pocket in the top of the water heater has been absorbed allowing no room for expansion, thus causing increased pressure as water heats.  Simply turn off and drain the water heater, then refill and finally turn it back on.

Lynnmor is probably on the right track.  Just keep an eye on the regulator for awhile to see if the problem repeats. If it does, time to replace it with a quality model like a Watts. Otherwise, just keep on RVing.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Lynnmor is probably on the right track.  Just keep an eye on the regulator for awhile to see if the problem repeats. If it does, time to replace it with a quality model like a Watts. Otherwise, just keep on RVing.

Thank you.  It is looking like this will be my next step as the reported pressure jumped up again a few days since the initial issue from 50-PSI to 60-PSI, not to the 80-PSI but obviously a faulty regulator and this is the second Valterra that has failed me.

Back
Top Bottom