Canadian Summer Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve CDN

There are three dates in summer in Canada when statutory holidays are observed in varying degrees business closure, depending on local bylaws.

June 24? Quebec only? St. John the Baptist Holiday

July 1 Canada Day, Country wide

First Monday in August, Civic Holiday, all of Canada except Quebec.

Factoid:? Canada is the only Country with the highest number of Canadians.

Attachments

• canflag.gif
    canflag.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 42
Factoid:? Canada is the only Country with the highest number of Canadians.

I thought it was Florida. ;D

Steve,

Just curious - do any Canadian provinces or cities celebrate Bastille Day, or doesn't that qualify as a valid holiday? Milwaukee celebrates it (no, we don't get the day off) even though we don't have a great number of French or French descendants, but then again we sieze any excuse for a party ;D

Doesn't Milwaukee celebrate EVERYTHING? I thought you had a special celebration every week from April through October.....at least that's what the Convention and Visitors Bureau has been telling me.

Wendy

Wendy,

Every week? Not even close! Here are but a few:
First Robin of spring.  Saint Swithen's Day (Nobody really knows who he was but hey, who cares?).  Spring migration of Canada geese.  Fall migration of Canada geese (large poop cleanup follows).  Milwaukee Brewers opening day.  Any Brewers win (few and far between).  Any Green Bay Packers game.  Any Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears loss.  First budding of trees (Last raking of fallen leaves.)  Repeal of colored margarine law.  Summerfest.  Germanfest.  Polishfest.  Festa Italiana.  Cinco de Mayo.  Saint Patrick's Day.  Opening day of deer season (also called Ladies Night Out).  End of road construction (We haven't had one of those yet, but we're hopeful).  Brat barbecue - almost any day; rain or shine.  End of kid's summer vacation (adults only).  Any day the Sun rises.  First snow of winter.  Last snow of winter (still waiting for that one). Drop in (fill in the blank______) prices; some ideas include beer and gasoline. 

Just let your mind wander; we probably celebrate it ;D

And we pack all that into our 3 days of summer (in a good year) :)

Ned said:
And we pack all that into our 3 days of summer (in a good year) :)

How long has it been since you were there during summer? ???  Or haven't you been luck to be there those three days? ;D ;D ;D ??? ???

Karl said:
Steve,

Just curious - do any Canadian provinces or cities celebrate Bastille Day, or doesn't that qualify as a valid holiday? Milwaukee celebrates it (no, we don't get the day off) even though we don't have a great number of French or French descendants, but then again we sieze any excuse for a party ;D

Karl

What do you do, cook your brats in French wine ??? ;D ??? ;D

Karl,

Bastille Day is strictly a French Holiday, to my knowledge celebrated only in France.  In my short life on this Earth, I have never known or read about it being celebrated in Canada and especially in Quebec, where I lived until a couple of years ago.

The only difference in Holidays in Quebec and other Canadian Provincs is St. John th Baptist on June 24 in Quebec  (St. Jean Baptiste).

Ron said:
How long has it been since you were there during summer? ??? Or haven't you been luck to be there those three days? ;D ;D ;D ??? ???

We're here every June-Aug so usually catch the day or three of summer.  Sometimes we're out of town when it happens, however :)  We're on day 3 of this summer right now.  Went from heat pump to A/C virtually overnight.  Typical Wisconsin.

Karl said:
Saint Swithen's Day (Nobody really knows who he was but hey, who cares?).

Now do Karl. From Encyclopedia Britannica:

(July 15), one of the several days from which, in folklore, the weather for a subsequent period is dictated. In popular belief, if it rains on St. Swithin's Day, it will rain for 40 days, but, if it is fair, 40 days of fair weather will follow. St. Swithin (b. c. 800 near Winchester, Hampshire?d. July 2, 862) was bishop of Winchester from 852 to 862. At his request he was buried in the churchyard, where rain and the steps of passersby might fall on his grave. According to legend, after his body was moved inside the cathedral on July 15, 971, a great storm ensued.

Ned said:
We're here every June-Aug so usually catch the day or three of summer.? Sometimes we're out of town when it happens, however :)? We're on day 3 of this summer right now.? Went from heat pump to A/C virtually overnight.? Typical Wisconsin.

Gee it is nice when you get to experience those 2 or three dayts of summer.  We were blessed once when while we were in Seattle area they experienced a whole 4 or 5 days of summer. ;D

Ron said:
while we were in Seattle area they experienced a whole 4 or 5 days of summer

LOL Ron, that sounds like what I affectionately refer to as "sunny South Wales". Aka "it rains 366 days a year".

Fortunately we only lived in the Seattle area a couple years but based on that experience I would say they run a close second to where you mentioned in Wales. ;D ;D

Just spent a week in Ontario arond the lake erie area and every day was a hot one just like sunny cornwall this time of year (not)
Niagra Falls was great but my co pilot didn`t go much on the rest of the week at all.
now heading to chesapeake bay Virginia for a few weeks.
Sadly our tour is nearing its last month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom