rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 1st question of many  (Read 1278 times)

2+1 for the road

• ---
1st question of many
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
I am in planning stage of RVing for probably 2 years before we build a home. So, first question is about establishing a domicile. We have our home for sale. I have found most favorable states for domicile are SD, TX, and FL. Because we own property in NC, which is where we will eventually build a home, can we still domicile in FL? I have read that your domicile state is suppose to be where you eventually plan to reside. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SeilerBird

• ---
Re: 1st question of many
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Yes you can domicile in FL even if you own property in NC.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:49:09 AM »
You are reading more into the term "domicile" than there really is.  It's a legal concept that, when applicable, is determined by the preponderance of evidence, possibly including your intent of long term residence. For practical purposes, domicile really only applies to probate of your estate and some other obscure things.  Domicile is related to residence, which is also a concept rather than a strictly defined status.   It does not govern where you can get driving licenses or where you pay taxes or anything else important to daily living, in or out of an RV.  Merely owning property somewhere does not make you a resident or declare domicile, but it can be used as evidence if you want to make that state your legal home. In the meantime, choose whatever state you like.

You can establish residence for the purpose of obtaining driver licenses and vehicle titles wherever you like, as long as you can comply with that state's laws. Be aware, though, that doing so can also make you subject to various state taxes and can affect your vehicle and health insurance rates & coverages. In other words, you aren't supposed to cherry pick, claiming one state for licenses, another for titles or vehicle insurance, and yet another for health insurance. You may get away with doing some of that, but if detected there will be repercussions.

Once you actually begin living in that home in NC, NC law will probably pretty much force you to obtain driving licenses and vehicle titles there, and NC will become your home for the purposes of vehicle and health insurance.  There are some ways around that, but not practical for most people who actually live in the state (as opposed to fulltime travelers).

So the short answer is the one Seilerbird gave: Yes you can choose Florida. Or TX or SD.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:51:02 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

2+1 for the road

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:08:23 PM »
Thanks to you both. I just love it when some tells me what I want to hear!!

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
Given your intent to eventually land in NC you may want to check to see if they charge a use tax when bringing a vehicle into state and registering it there.  A number of states do this, which in effect has you paying sales tax on it twice if you have owned the vehicle for over a couple of months.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

2+1 for the road

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
Given your intent to eventually land in NC you may want to check to see if they charge a use tax when bringing a vehicle into state and registering it there.  A number of states do this, which in effect has you paying sales tax on it twice if you have owned the vehicle for over a couple of months.

Good point, I will check into that. When we purchase our new tow vehicle we want to register and tag in our domicile state. In Ga, which is where we live now, we would have to pay sales tax of 7% then another % of purchase price for ad valorem. That would be about another $3000 to purchase price. We want to avoid forking over that amount of money to then move registration to another state because there is no refund once paid.

cavie

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 05:44:27 AM »
Fl has only a one time 7% sales tax and a small $40-50 tag fee each year.
Retired Licensed Master Electrician/Electric inspector
All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 06:57:05 AM »
Cavie, are you sure about that?  I had / have? an ex-brother in law, who had to pay Florida $600 to bring his old pickup truck into state when he retired there, of course that was almost 30 years ago.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
Florida used to charge a $400 fee for out-of-state vehicles brought into Florida, but that was rescinded 20+ years ago.   I think there is now an impact few for any new vehicle added to the state's registration rolls, i.e. the first time a vehicle is registered. If you aren't transferring a plate from another vehicle, the impact fee is charged. $225, if I remember correctly.
The total cost of transferring a vehicle to Florida from another state typically runs around $400 or so, depending on the specifics. There are transfer fees, title and registration costs, etc. If the vehicle is less that 6 months old, sales tax may also be applied (but with credit for sales tax already paid elsewhere).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:53:28 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL