My only bar fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

In the many years of drinking like i was on a mission i have only had one bar fight and it was a classic.  I finally stopped drinking in my late 30's as i just got tired of the way it made me feel.  But i thought about this fight last night for some reason and so i thought i would share it with you all. 

I have to set the stage first:    I was working up in Durango Colorado and being a tourist and college town there is alot of drinking.  There is this motel just north of town called the Iron Horse Inn.  I worked for a well known car rental company and was pretty much on my own and ran my own show.  I also lived in the motel at the time so every night after work i would go hit the hotel bar across the street, complete my mission and then stumble home and crash.  Get up and do it all over again. I became one of the "regular" regulars and we all played alot of pool and drank alot of alchohol back then.  On new years the bar was closed but open to employees and me,  and we were able to party hardy on whatever we wanted to drink from the open bar.  In the morning we were still picking ourselves up off the floor...  So it was alot of fun back then and alot of comradery.  It was a typical bar with a long bar, wood stools, big mirror, and pool tables behind you.  As you enter the bar from the motel lobby you have to go down two steps to get to the bar.

One day the bartender asked me to bring over a rental contract as she wanted to rent a car for the weekend.  So i headed over with a contract as requested, it was about 3pm.

Now for the fight: 

As i was sitting there getting the bar tenders license info and filling out the contract there were only a few others in the bar.  One little guy at the end of the bar from where i was.  I big guy about the size of shaq playing pool with my buddy from fedex, me and the bartender that was it.

I was explaining things to the bartender about the contract and i noticed the little guy at the end of the bar was counting some money on the bar.  Then he went to the restroom and when we walked away no money was there.  Then we saw him come back into the bar a few minutes later.    I had just handed the bartender her copies of the contract and the keys when the little guy says "where is my money".  Me and the bartender look over (from the end of the bar) and he says loudly this time "where is my money b.....",    The bartender wont take that so she grabs a bottle of booze and tells him that he is going to be wearing that bottle as a hat if he calls her that again. 

We both try to explain to him that there was no money there when he left and noone has been around his seat at all.  The he says, "i want my F..... money, now"  I got the sence he was trying to scam the bar.    But the bartender called the bar manager who i knew quite well.  By the time he arrived in the bar the little guy had spoken to the big guy playing pool (his buddy) and they were both hot about the money.    I just figured well he is here he will fix it now.  I noticed he kept asking them to leave the bar, that he would find the money and what happened to it but he didnt want any issue in the bar so they had to step in the lobby.    The bartender was talking to me as i was trying to calm her down at the other end of the bar and so we were not watching, she was getting a smoke.

Next thing i know i glance in the mirror in front of me and i see the manager litterally flying through the air and he yells "dude help me".  To this day i dont know if it was the military training or just dumb luck but the next second i found myself with the big guy bent over backwards against the bar and i had already hit him twice as hard as i could.  I stopped for just a second and thought "oh sh.."  what did i just get myself into, this guy is going to wipe the floor with me any second if i dont keep hitting him.  Thank goodness he was drunk because about 3 more punches  and he slid down the font of the bar and was out on the floor between the bar stools. 

I turned and ticked off as i was that im too old to get in a stupid bar fight what was i doing, i saw the llittle guy mouthing off to me.  I marched right toward him and i said "you want some of this explative explative"  he started backing up out of the bar with this horrified look on his face.  But when he got to the top step i guess he felt brave and swung at me.  I tilted my head back and he missed but his finger just caught the edge of my new glasses and they went flying.  Oh it was on now!!!  I jump up the step and grabbed him by the colar with both hands and i was pushing him backards to give me some room to knock him out.  I forgot about the sofa by the fireplace and we went tumpling over the sofa right next to the motel checkin desk and everyone was watching...  As soon as i got him on the floor i started in on him and one of the cooks pulled me off.,...  the guy ran out the front door bleeding.  All the employees from the motel and restaurant came running as the bartender had called them and told them that someone had just beat up the manager. 

So then i thought i better go find my glasses and as soon as i went to go down the steps to the bar, my nose was mid chest to this big guy, i looked up and he just said very simply in a deep voice "did you just hit me expletive" it startled me as i thought here we go im gonna get wacked and drug around like a rag doll,  i didnt know what to say i was fumbling for words and my fedex buddy saved my tail.  He ran over and told the guy no no it was not him man it was the other guy, this guy didnt hit you at all.  He moved and let me in the bar and he left out the front door. 

After that i was sort a member of a special employee club and they treated me like gold.  Years later there was a misunderstanding between me and the motel manager and i moved to a different apartment in town and the fun was over... but wow we sure had some great times.

That was my first and last bar fight....  i dont go to bars so i doubt if ill ever get into another one.

:) 

I went to college on the GI bill and worked as a bouncer at a few places.
Saw my share of bar fights. fortunately most college kids were not great fighters, and at the time had some level of respect for an authoritative voice and demeanor.

I did have to step in the middle of a "discussion" between some of the Football players (ours and the visiting team - Gators)
Once I got through to them that they were all supposed to be in bed, already, resting for the game, they all settled down. Good thing.
Coach would'a strung us up had any of them boys got hurt that night.

Although I don't drink a drop I have spent a lot of time in country western bars to go dancing. I have only seen one bar fight in all that time. I was on stage at the time and the fight broke out right in front of me. The band never missed a beat and kept on playing. The fight didn't last long and did not amount to much. It was actually quite funny.

Years ago, I took some classes at the National Fire Academy in MD. As frequently happens, a bunch of us decided to try the local watering holes, and we ended up at a dive bar somewhere near Gettysburg.

All was well until one of our guys decided to start trouble with the biggest, dumbest guy in the place. We all bolted for the door and left him there. To this day, I have no idea how he got back to campus.

No way I was going to have to call the chief and tell him I was in jail (or hospital) instead of being safely tucked in bed!

LarsMac said:
I went to college on the GI bill and worked as a bouncer at a few places.
Saw my share of bar fights. fortunately most college kids were not great fighters, and at the time had some level of respect for an authoritative voice and demeanor.

I did have to step in the middle of a "discussion" between some of the Football players (ours and the visiting team - Gators)
Once I got through to them that they were all supposed to be in bed, already, resting for the game, they all settled down. Good thing.
Coach would'a strung us up had any of them boys got hurt that night.

Gators would have won with their second string.  :D

WOW i did some googling for memory sake and it looks like in 2010 one of the roofs fell in due to snow weight (it was built back in the 70's).  They were going to close it down but they decided to put the insurance money to good use and do a upgrade of the place.  They have new owers now also so everyone that i knew is probably gone.  I dont think the old bar even exists anymore and they changed alot of stuff around, its no longer a motel its a condo place now.  Its really true that when you leave someplace you cant go back, things change and its only memories now.  I just never thought that place would change. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom