How can I use my voice over ip phone while on camping adventure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purehobby

Hello everyone,
  I am looking to hit the road and enjoy the travel trailer for awhile but my problem is I will be working while on the road.
I need internet connection but not only that I need to plug my voip phone in so I can get my calls. Is there anyone out there has found a way that works to do this? As far as I know the phone has to be plugged in directly to ethernet.
Realistic prices not the dish that seems a bit crazy at around $4000 from what I seen

We have the calls to our VOIP phone service forwarded to one of our cell phones. Our service also has an app that lets us call out using the VOIP service so calls come from that number.

I guess I could do that worst case. Nice thing about having my voip phone is I can call other extensions internally, they can call me without me skipping a beat. Its like im still in the office.
What do you do about wifi for your computer as well

I'd look at Verizon's data offerings, they have the best overall coverage across the country.  Get a Jetpack with unlimited data to create a wifi hotspot, then use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge adapter to connect your VOIP phone to the Jetpack.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Ethernet-Network-Bridge-Adapter/dp/B01GF6GST4

The Jetpack will also provide wifi data to your computer.

Check with your company's IT department to see if this will be acceptable to them.  Some consider a wifi link to be a security risk.

Another problem is data rates can vary greatly depending on where you camp.  Sometimes you won't be able to get enough bandwidth to support VOIP and data simultaneously.  In these cases, forwarding your VOIP number to a cell phone and using the available bandwidth for your computer will be your best bet.

An excellent source of information is the Mobile Internet Resource Center at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com.  It was started 4 years ago by a couple who needed to stay connected while they traveled in their RV and has expanded into the best place to learn about and keep current with the constantly changing world of wireless connectivity.

I would look into a mobile wifi hotspot with an ethernet port, such as the Netgear Nighthawk and a data plan from a company like OTR Mobile which allows you to drop the plan and reconnect monthly (with minor connection charge) see https://www.otrmobile.com/

Great thank you guys. I will be looking into all these options and see what works for me.

Is a Softphone an option? That's what I use via my work VPN connection on my laptop; much easier than having to establish a separate connection for an IP phone.

Audio quality becomes an issue very quickly is there is any latency on the wireless connection.

It was several years ago, but we bought a used land line phone, used my laptop's USB port and our Magicjack account/phone number plus campground Wifi.  It wasn't perfect, but it did work, particularly in parks with decent wifi.  I assume that you could use a smart phone as a hot spot, if you needed to use the voip as opposed to the cell.

Ed

The ZTE 279 is an AT&T approved hotspot that has both Ethernet ports and RJ11 phone jacks.  It's the hotspot used for what AT&T called Wireless Home Internet. It might work for what the OP needs.  I'm using mine with a SIM from OTR Mobile.

I need internet connection but not only that I need to plug my voip phone in so I can get my calls. Is there anyone out there has found a way that works to do this? As far as I know the phone has to be plugged in directly to ethernet.

Depends on what the Voip service you have. Services like MagicJack and Vonage can be plugged to the internet anywhere and require only that you update your 911 location (a federal legal & safety requirement).    Services from a local cable internet company or other wired provider usually cannot, but usually can be forwarded to a mobile phone.

I toted a Vonage internet interface box around for a couple years, plugged to an Ethernet wireless bridge, which in turn connected to my cellular modem (Mifi). Worked fine. Now I have Voip via cable internet at home and forward calls to my mobile.  I can call my Voip # and get it to relay outgoing calls as if they came from my home number, but what's the point? I just call from my mobile.

He has an IP phone which is an extension on a PBX. They need access to the Internet for connection to a static public IP address, then navigate through corporate firewalls and gateways. Whatever solution is found will probably require coordination with his telcom or IT folks.

HappyWanderer said:
He has an IP phone which is an extension on a PBX. They need access to the Internet for connection to a static public IP address, then navigate through corporate firewalls and gateways. Whatever solution is found will probably require coordination with his telcom or IT folks.

I dont see where they said they are off a pbx, do you have additional info? I implemented a VOIP solution at several clients that only needs an internet connection. The device (phone) contacts the provider and makes the connection as if it were in the office. I can take a phone anywhere there is internet (Ethernet) and get calls like Im in the office.

If that is what they have, they only need a router with Ethernet, could be a wifi repeater if the primary wireless device does not have Ethernet or the primary wireless device itself.

OP if you could tell us the provider there may be some IT people here that have used it, or at least know its functionality.

Depends on the company's VOIP service provider. Some such providers ("8X8" is one) have a bespoke app for your cell phone that works just like the desktop VOIP handset. (You log in to the app and it identifies to the system as your same extension ID) and works over Wifi or cellular data.
Such services typically also have a web-based "soft phone" that you can use via a browser.
As has been mentioned, check with the company's Telecom/IT people.

HappyWanderer said:
Reply #2, second sentence.

Happy, not trying to argue, but I read they have extensions, no mention of a pbx. The VOIP system I implemented has extensions, and I can take a phone anywhere as long as it has internet. Fact is, thats why I installed it, we have several building across over 100 acres that are not at all connected. They each have their own cellular data internet device with dynamic IP addresses. No firewall issues, gateway configuration, or IT presence needed, just ethernet to the internet so it is possible depending on the system.

rbTN said:
Happy, not trying to argue, but I read they have extensions, no mention of a pbx. The VOIP system I implemented has extensions, and I can take a phone anywhere as long as it has internet. Fact is, thats why I installed it, we have several building across over 100 acres that are not at all connected. They each have their own cellular data internet device with dynamic IP addresses. No firewall issues, gateway configuration, or IT presence needed, just ethernet to the internet so it is possible depending on the system.
How does the phone register with the controller?

Back
Top Bottom