existing solar install, can u add portable to solar port on RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Was trying to squeak in new TT before our trip... but came to our senses, cannot sell one, buy another, install extras... on a too short time frame, AND SEVERE COLD COMING!!

Question? We have existing Go Power solar 150 watts, 30 amp controller, and 600 watt inverter installed and two 6V. Our Keystone has a Zamp port on outside. Thinking of buying a 80 or 120 watt portable panel for those times we are needing a boost because too much shade overhead, etc. We have one campground in Arizona that we love but  if you can believe  it lots of shade, plus November does not have a lot of hours of sun.

I know batteries only hold so much.. but wondering if extra panel would charge faster?
Do we just plug into outside pre wired port? And it works.. ???
The portable panel has a built in controller, I am assuming to protect batteries, but???
Better to use a Go Power portable and buy adapter?
Thanks everyone...

Hi Moose. Yep, you can do that. It won't charge a lot faster, but it'll charge a little faster. Every little bit helps. Keep the wire run from the panel to the RV as short as possible, and use good quality/gauge wire. (Oh... and keep an eye on it. Unattended solar panels are easy to walk away with)

Kev

It's best to have the charge controller as close to the batteries as possible so a panel with a built in controller is not the best option. I'm assuming that the panels mentioned are 12 volt so the added panel could be connected to your existing controller. You can buy a 120 watt panel for less than $100 on Amazon.

The wiring for the Zamp connector may not be connected up. Check near your batteries to see if the wires are there.

Our controller is installed in our TT, so not sure how to run thru existing one. Also, just looked at solar port it is a Furion which I read was put on a bunch of RVs for solar connection.

Now, I guess I have to figure out where the wires are to battery for that port. We had our solar installed by RV repair/service along with our batteries. So... wondering if the solar port wires are attached or buried somewhere.
I was hoping would be a easy quick install but...

tanglemoose said:
Our controller is installed in our TT, so not sure how to run thru existing one.
The wires from your panel will connect to the input of the controller. If there is room, you can disconnect these wires and double up the wires from your new panel.

Back
Top Bottom