Ford Triton V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knucklebucket

Recently purchased several months back. 2002 Monaco LaPalma Ford Triton V-10. after spending a couple months going through it and getting familiar. other than a few short trips hadn't been anywhere. last weekend. drove to Cherokee NC for a weekend and Styx Concert. about half way there, I heard something unfamiliar, like I had run over something, or something had fell. I never saw anything come from the back of the coach. but the engine started running a little rough. at first I thought it was a drive train issue. but a crawled it and didn't notice any issues. sitting idle it does it, so I'm certain its a motor related issue. not sure if its a spark plug, vacuum hose haven't got to check it out, but I'm going to this evening. anyone else experience this or have any thoughts?

Not much to go on - just "runs a bit rough".  Could be almost anything.  That era of V10 was known to blow out a spark plug, though, so I'd check that first.  Lots of commentary online about V10 spark plug "blow out".

well after further investigation, I now know I don't have a Triton V-10, I have a work horse Chevrolet 7.4. previous owner told me a triton. and found the problem. one of the blades on my radiator fan got brittle and broke off, causing an inbalance. learn something new everyday. I haven't had this coach very long, I guess I need to study my coach a bit more.

well after further investigation, I now know I don't have a Triton V-10, I have a work horse Chevrolet 7.4. previous owner told me a triton.
LOL!  If it's any consolation, you aren't the first to discover they had bad info from a previous owner, or that they were mistaken about the chassis under their RV.  We see that regularly here.

knucklebucket said:
well after further investigation, I now know I don't have a Triton V-10, I have a work horse Chevrolet 7.4. previous owner told me a triton. and found the problem. one of the blades on my radiator fan got brittle and broke off, causing an inbalance. learn something new everyday. I haven't had this coach very long, I guess I need to study my coach a bit more.

Glad it turned out to be relatively simple problem to fix.
Lars [Always look at the bright side...] Mac

honestly, I need to verify that. I have the manual and it refers to the 7.4, but if PO thought is was a triton who's to say he had original manual? it looks original. now I'm wondering.

It's difficult to believe someone would buy a motorhome and not even look under the hood to look for oil leaks,,fuel leaks,,what it is,,  check the oil ,,etc.etc. Manufacturers love to put their name on everything possible,, the door jamb,,front grill,,placards,, warnings,,valve covers,, ,,,,... It appears your pre purchase inspection was non existent.>>>Dan  ( It reminds me of another post on this forum stating he bought an RV and was taken advantage of... It must actually be true,,, there is one born every minute!!)

A 2002 LaPalma would be on the Workhorse W22 chassis and have the 8.1L V8. The 7.4L was used only on the P32 chassis. Here is the 2002 LaPalma brochure so you can get the facts.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/02Lapalma.pdf

I figured that I would be flamed for my last post ( you meanie,,your not nice) but I also figured if it kept one buyer from making this mistake it would be worth it.>>>Dan

does there always have to be that one Dick in every forum? yes I looked under the hood, yes I looked for oil leaks. Yes I done a pretty good job walking through the entire camper no I did not disassemble the dog box to verify that I had a 10 cyclinder or 8 cylinder V8. Yes this was my very first Class A. I previously bought a toy hauler I got screwed on and it was my fault due to my ignorance of ever owning a camper and not doing a thorough inspection. therefore I feel I did a much better job. I checked the oil it was clean and full and the previous owner had recently had it serviced. if ya aint got nothing to say about the particular subject then sometimes its just better to STFU and keep your nose out of it.

Utclmjmpr said:
It's difficult to believe someone would buy a motorhome and not even look under the hood to look for oil leaks,,fuel leaks,,what it is,,  check the oil ,,etc.etc. Manufacturers love to put their name on everything possible,, the door jamb,,front grill,,placards,, warnings,,valve covers,, ,,,,... It appears your pre purchase inspection was non existent.>>>Dan  ( It reminds me of another post on this forum stating he bought an RV and was taken advantage of... It must actually be true,,, there is one born every minute!!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom