Looking for a New East Coast Beach Destination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thank you for your time and consideration. 

I grew up taking vacations to the likes of Ocean City, MD...Wildwood, NJ...Myrtle Beach, SC...places with a lot of development and "things to do". 

In recent years we've enjoyed some very low-key vacations to the Outer Banks of NC...Salvo/Waves, Corolla, Buxton/Frisco. 

We'd like to try a new East Coast beach destination that hopefully meets most of the following criteria:

-Quiet and mellow.  "Yes" to arts/crafts, antiques, wine, and nature..."no" to water slides, mazes of mirrors, and the like. 

-Not more than about a 12-hour drive from Pittsburgh.  That puts Charlestown, SC at about the farthest south that I'd want our travel party to have to drive. 

-Like to rent a house and not be part of a condo complex. 

-We have some limited-mobility members of the travel party...a few years back, they really struggled to walk up and over the massive sand dune between our semi-beachfront rental home and the beach in the OBX.  I'd like to find something that we can afford  (beach side, semi-oceanfront, or oceanfront) with an accessible, low-climb walk to the water, if such a thing exists. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  We'd like to explore a new area that meets most of our criteria and that would work for our family members. 

Thanks!  :)

Chincoteague,VA is much,much quieter than Ocean City,MD.  Been a few years since we've been but parking is very close to the beach.  A lot of homes for rent.  There is a water park next to the KOA and mini golf on the road to the beach,so there is that,but not too obnoxious.  The downtown is more arts,books,etc.  good restaurants. 

Look at the beach towns between Weepapaug, Rhode Island and Narragansett, Rhode Island.  Theater By the Sea is near Matunuck Beach.  Narragansett gets pretty busy and Misquamicut gets extremely busy but in between these two is really nice.  You can drive into Newport or take a ferry to Block Island.  I would say July to early September for the best temperatures.  You can tour the mansions in Newport amongst other things.  Seafood....

Sullivan's Island next door to Charleston might suit you. There's some beach bling but a fair number of funky older places, too. Pawley's Island is low key, just south of the Redneck Riviera. Edisto Beach south of Charleston is quiet. Kiawah is pretty upscale. Folly Beach just south of Charleston is, uh, funky. Surfer dude town, lots of artsy types. Charleston commuter  traffic is a nightmare, period, but you can stay on any of those beaches without having to go downtown, or time your trips in to miss the worst traffic.

following.

Massey Landing in Delaware, kinda new, check it out:

https://www.masseyslanding.com/

Haven't been there but it might be a good pick.

kicking this thread back in to existence.

Any new news in this area?

Back
Top Bottom