rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Auxiliary fuel tanks  (Read 2703 times)

WannaBeRVing

• ---
Re: Auxiliary fuel tanks
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
The first year we were full time in our fiver our small tank on our F350 made some planning interesting out west.  We never had any issues but I found I had to run my tank lower than I wanted to.  Started looking at options.  Didn't want to spend a ton of money.  Didn't want to consistently haul an extra 150 to 250 pounds of weight when not needed.  Plus I didn't want to give up any more room in my PU bed than I had to.

Ended up using four 5-gallon diesel cans with easy-pour spouts.  They fit nicely in my tool box and I only filled them when I knew the extra capacity was going to be needed.

I'm also looking at adding fuel capacity and like this option because of payload limits and cost.  Are there no safety concerns with the tanks in the bed of your truck?  Or do you keep it in the storage area of your RV?

1blue78

• ---
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »

I'm also looking at adding fuel capacity and like this option because of payload limits and cost.  Are there no safety concerns with the tanks in the bed of your truck?  Or do you keep it in the storage area of your RV?

There are no safety concerns if you are using approved storage tanks.  It will be a PITA pouring from the fuel tanks though - in bed aux tank is way easier and if you don't want to pack around extra weight when you don't need it, don't fill it.  I always fill from the aux tank into my main tank.  This keeps the fuel in the aux tank fresh and since I have a water blocker filter on the line coming from my aux tank I get clean fuel in my main tank.
2020 25Y Arctic Fox (on order)
2017 GMC 3500 SRW SLT L5P

Warboar

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:53 AM »
I have thought about adding an aux. tank but with my Ford I now have a 48 gallon fuel tank and it does just fine.  With my RAM and the 30 gallon tank I was wanting the aux. tank but with the short bed I just didn't have the room for my hitch or if I wanted to put one of my 4wheelers up in the bed.  I could do the aux. tank in the Ford but I just don't see the need at this point in time.  If things were to change and I was spending more time on the road then yeah I would certainly consider it.   

dufferDave

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »

There are no safety concerns if you are using approved storage tanks.  It will be a PITA pouring from the fuel tanks though - in bed aux tank is way easier and if you don't want to pack around extra weight when you don't need it, don't fill it.  I always fill from .........

I like the option and flexibility of having some extra gas, and I use a couple 5-gal plastic tanks also. I don't like using the pour spouts, though, to xfer from those tanks into the RV's gas port, so I have a HF gasoline transfer pump/stick (costs like $8, runs on two D-cells) that I can rest a 5-gal tank on the RV's rear bumper and squirt the gas cleanly into the RV.