Widespread/extended power outages in the greater SF Bay area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure the many thousands of folks and businesses without power for the next several days will take comfort from the words of wisdom.

Makes me glad my power comes from a co-op.  However, the co-op buys power from a independent power plants that face many of the same issues of environment and an inability to expand production to meet demand.  They are semi-independent in that they are separate corporations but local power co-ops are their major investors, so there is some level of influence there.

A couple miles from my house begins the monopoly territory of a city-owned water & electric utility and they are worse than any corporate utility I've ever seen anywhere.  I am ever thankful I didn't buy a home in their territory (my daughter did).  Service is on the bad side of the state utility averages for outages and installation delays and rates are 25% higher than any surrounding area, producing a profit for the city that sets the rates. The politicians routinely abuse the utility by raiding its profits for pet projects, give contracts to their cronies, and put family & friends on the payroll.  The citizens complain steadily and are ignored, so be careful what you wish for.

[quote author=HueyPilotVN]If the power is out for your garage door opener you might just use an extension cord to get power from your generator to open the door.[/quote]
Thanks, but FWIW this isn't my garage; It's a commercial storage shed with multiple bays.

Hopefully opening the other door would give you fresh air for the brief time needed to run your generator.

Since the storage facility is a few miles from the house, I'd move the coach to our house for convenience of cooking, etc.

Attachments

• Mann_storage.jpg
    Mann_storage.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 21
we 'routinely' deal with this during hurricanes in Fl.  Power out sucks, but when there is no clean water.. THAT is a big deal.  Still, difficult to understand a public utility unable to provide reliably the service they are contracted for.  Happy to be on the right coast :)

Minor correction to some messages.  PG&E is Pacific Gas and Electric, the utility in California implementing outages. PGE is Portland Gas and Electric which covers much of Oregon.  In our area of Oregon, Pacific Power is the utility and is planning no outages this year but reserving judgement for future years based on fire threat.

Aye, you tell 'em Margi.

Nice hearing from you, it's been a while. Trust that you're both doing OK.

Tom said:
Aye, you tell 'em Margi.

Nice hearing from you, it's been a while. Trust that you're both doing OK.
Tom's Mom's favorite quote:  Life by the yard is hard, but inch by inch it's a cinch!  Tom's in an electric wheelchair with a joy stick but is still speeding through the neighborhood and still doing his leather carving in his (ahem!) studio.  aka the shed. 

Lou Schneider said:
Hi Margi!

Actually, Oregon's PGE is Portland General Electric.
You're right, as usual, Lou.  That's why we've always counted on you to give us the good information.  How are you doing?  Loving retirement?

Tom and Margi said:
How are you doing?  Loving retirement?
I'm doing great, thanks for asking!.  Got a lot in the Pahrump co-op to use as a home base, planning an extended tour through the SW this winter, and I'm currently in LA going to the big RV show tomorrow.  Don't worry, I left my checkbook at home.  ;)

And someone keeps putting money in my checking account every month.  Life is good. 

One solution in many areas is to bury the lines. Many communities have "no overhead lines" laws everything is underground.

Yes I am aware of the issues with buried lines.. Especially in Shakey towns.. but they don't start forest fires.

John From Detroit said:
One solution in many areas is to bury the lines. Many communities have "no overhead lines" laws everything is underground.

Yes I am aware of the issues with buried lines.. Especially in Shakey towns.. but they don't start forest fires.

PG&E website said the cost to bury power lines is about 5 million dollars a mile.

Our S&B is in a neighborhood with underground utilities, but I understand the lines between communities are a much higher voltage, (500,000 volts ??) requiring much heftier insulation; hence the towers with bare wires really keep the cost down.

I know Hoover Dam supplies the Los Angels area; where else does California "import" its power from??

I'm guessing if they hadn't been sued the power wouldn't be going off?

I wonder how many poor souls will perish due to the power outages?

jackiemac said:
I'm guessing if they hadn't been sued the power wouldn't be going off?

Well you know . You are right.  but Big Business cares not for things like your life.. I mean so you die. No money out of their bank account after all.

[quote author=jackiemac]I'm guessing if they hadn't been sued the power wouldn't be going off?[/quote]

Good guess. In fact, PG&E filed for bankruptcy to protect themselves against further claims from the prior fires. Thousands of folks lost their homes in those fires.

I wonder how many poor souls will perish due to the power outages?

They've tried to pre-empt any future blame or claim by saying "we gave plenty of advance notice".

Meanwhile, there were 3 'small' overnight wildfires - in areas where they chose not (or forgot) to turn off the power.

Back
Top Bottom