Used RV pricing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

There are several discussions about the % discounts off MSRP to ask for on new RV?s.  Anywhere from 23% up to 40%.  What % should one expect on a used RV?

It really depends though there is almost always room to negotiate some on pricing, in the case of my current coach which I bought used from a private seller, I paid about 80% of initial asking price.

There can be no average or typical discount for used pricing because there is no average or typical used price.  Whether you buy from a dealer or privately, the price put on a used RV is whatever the seller thinks he can get  (and he may well be wrong about that). And some sellers price high so they can offer trades or discounts, whereas others have a firm price in mind.

I don't think you can expect any particular % figure. Your best guide would be to look up places like PPL and find the prices that their similar used vehicles have sold for recently. NADA may give you a starting point but don't forget that this is NOT a market price. Some people will want more (maybe a lot more) because they may be under water on their previous purchase and need (want) to minimize their losses.

That is always a good question, the answer is the price at which the buyer will buy and the seller will sell.  A used unit has at the base the value at which it was traded.  That is not an absolute number.  There is usually a flexible base amount the dealer will accept as a profit.  Then there is that time time of month where goes are not yet met.  In the case of a private sale, it is typically the payoff on their loan if there is one, and if free title, that amount they can't bear to go below.

In my recent situation, I had an RV I owned free and clear.  I was coming up on a date I either had to put it into storage for the winter, move it south to sell, or take a lower offer.  The lower offer was low by the amount it would cost me to move it.  So, if I moved it and could guarantee I would get the asking price, I would have come out even, but buyer with cash in hand was a sure thing.  I took the cash.

Other sellers face the same decision.  The cost of carrying it longer and having to get more to stay even or sell and be done.

If you are sticking with dealers, remember the end of month pressure.  If you can complete the sale on last day of month, you have time on your side, if it will carry over into the next months business, well, you don't have as much to move with.

As mentioned prices and offers are all over the place when dealing with used vehicles of any type.  A couple of months ago my son bought a new car, and I helped him sell his old car by parking it with a for sale sign by my house which is on a busy street, vs where he lives on a dead end road.  The asking price was $3,200 (average NADA), though we went into it with the plan to accept as low as $2,900 (low NADA).  Three weeks later after numerous phone calls, several test drives, and a handful of people saying they would be back the next day with the money, we eventually sold it for the full $3,200.  Along the way there were offers made for as low as $1,200, and people that called just to tell me we were asking too much for the car.  Such experiences just go to show me that there is no easily defined value on something like a used car, or used RV, it all comes down to buyer and seller motivation.  We were not in a big rush to sell, had 30 days of grace period insurance coverage, and were about at the point of dropping the price for a quick sale, vs continuing insurance coverage when it finally sold.

If you spend enough time shopping you will eventually see what the values of used RVs are. When you find  one that you love offer what you think is a fair price. If he accepts then buy it, if not just move on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom