Colorado Camping During the Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jj lynn

So I want to take a trip out west to snowboard for a month or so. I would like to know if anyone has any input on where to stay and ideas? Never done this.. Thanks Joe

The County RV park near where we live will let you camp and will provide electricity, but they shut the water off end of October.
And we can go without significant Snow most of the winter, but don't count on that.
You can shuttle up to Eldora from Boulder, of find rides to other slopes.

There are several places where it can be done as long as you can get along without water. And can accept the possibility of getting buried in a sudden snowstorm any day.

Not for the faint of heart. (But then, if you're a boarder, so that shouldn't be an issue.) 

LarsMac said:
The County RV park near where we live will let you camp and will provide electricity, but they shut the water off end of October.
And we can go without significant Snow most of the winter, but don't count on that.
You can shuttle up to Eldora from Boulder, of find rides to other slopes.

There are several places where it can be done as long as you can get along without water. And can accept the possibility of getting buried in a sudden snowstorm any day.

Not for the faint of heart. (But then, if you're a boarder, so that shouldn't be an issue.)

What Park?

SeilerBird said:
RVing and winter do not belong in the same sentence. RVs are comfortable down to about 35 degrees.

As usual.....we disagree!  Obviously sir, you’ve never owned a quality RV!  I guess the word “comfort” has different meanings to different people!! I suspect you won’t be camping (boondocking) next to us in November and early December, when daytime highs likely will not get to 35 degrees F.  If camping in an RV campground/park (power/water/sewer) with a decent RV ....it should be relatively easy!    memtb

OK....I’ve witnessed your comments pertaining to the wintering capabilities of RV’s for several years. It is your opinion and I have mine. Apparently your knowledge is quite limited or biased! You are very outspoken about a topic of which you apparently have little to no knowledge! I have lived “full time” in an RV for 2 winters with many morning temperatures at or well below a minus 20 F. We continue to use our RV in fall/winter camping (boondocking) with water in the camper.  You sir are the one that continues to expound “loudly” that “no” RV is comfortable at temps below 35 degrees F or some similar diatribe. Perhaps if you had you facts remotely accurate....your ill informed outbursts could be more easily tolerated!

A Fleetwood Providence.....it is well known that most Class A motorhomes do not winter well!  While $250K is a lot of money.....it likely will not provide a Class A motorhome with good wintering capabilities. I’m sorry that you tried to use your motorhome for something that it “clearly” was not designed to do! But, that “Does Not” mean there are “NO” rv’s winter capable. Simply stating the facts, not opinion!  memtb

I guess we both made some assumptions...I assumed that the OP was using a tow behind or a 5th wheel.  You apparently assumed the OP was using a motorhome. We were comparing apples and oranges.

jj Lynn, send me a pm, and I?ll do my best to give you a few tips on wintering. Though, I can?t offer any help on campgrounds!  memtb

We used to spend our winters at ski areas in our 5W.  It works best with full hookups.  My favorite Colorado campgrounds were Tiger Run in Breckinridge, and the one in Steamboat Springs,.  Can't  remember the name of the park in Steamboat, but it is the one at the west end of town,

People live in the rigs in North Dakota in the winter. Yes, it can be done. It takes preparation of the rig and some accessories, but there is a reason some ski areas have sites open all year. I have seen rigs in the one at Breckinridge. If the OP has a specific area in mind, just start checking the campgrounds nearby to see if they are open. Then listen to folks like Jeannine and Todd/Marianne who actually have done it instead of others who haven?t been successful at it.

As others have said, no reason it cannot be done, many do RV in very cold winter weather and some boondock, as long as your rig is considered 4-season, you operate the furnace to not only keep the living area comfortable, but to heat the belly and basement area where the tanks and some of the plumbing are located. As I write this we are quite comfy in our 5th wheel with morning temperature of 27 degrees. If you boondock, you will need to fill-up your water tank, if you stay in a campground you may consider getting a heated water hose as a convenience to hook-up to city water.  As for places to stay, I cannot be specific, but my suggestion is to look for a campround or RV park near a ski resort you might go to.

Back
Top Bottom