Removing Onan 6.5 Genset from Motor Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuggetshooter

I tried a search, but couldn't find an answer. I have a 1987 Itasca Class A motor home and need to remove generator to get to the starter. This is not a slide out type but is on a tray with a hinged back. Can anyone steer me to information on proper procedure to drop down and get to the starter? Is the generator removed from tray for service. Figured I better ask before getting started

Attachments

• onan2.JPG
    onan2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 28
nuggetshooter said:
I tried a search, but couldn't find an answer. I have a 1987 Itasca Class A motor home and need to remove generator to get to the starter. This is not a slide out type but is on a tray with a hinged back. Can anyone steer me to information on proper procedure to drop down and get to the starter? Is the generator removed from tray for service. Figured I better ask before getting started
On my Safari coach the generator starter can be removed for repair while the generator itself remains on the hinged tray in the coach.

I made a pair of sawhorses the height of the generator and wide enough to fit under the generator and out the access hatch.  Then I disconnected the pan from the motorhome and slid it and the generator sideways through the access door to work on it.

When I had to change the starter on my Onan KY 4000 generator I used a motorcycle jack like this one to lower it to the point where I could lift the cover and reach over it to change the starter.
https://smile.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Scooter/dp/B01M33H1RE/

Back
Top Bottom