Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Removing Onan 6.5 Genset from Motor Home  (Read 146 times)

nuggetshooter

• ---
Removing Onan 6.5 Genset from Motor Home
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
I tried a search, but couldn't find an answer. I have a 1987 Itasca Class A motor home and need to remove generator to get to the starter. This is not a slide out type but is on a tray with a hinged back. Can anyone steer me to information on proper procedure to drop down and get to the starter? Is the generator removed from tray for service. Figured I better ask before getting started
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:45:57 AM by nuggetshooter »

mel s

• ---
Re: Removing Onan 6.5 Genset from Motor Home
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
I tried a search, but couldn't find an answer. I have a 1987 Itasca Class A motor home and need to remove generator to get to the starter. This is not a slide out type but is on a tray with a hinged back. Can anyone steer me to information on proper procedure to drop down and get to the starter? Is the generator removed from tray for service. Figured I better ask before getting started
On my Safari coach the generator starter can be removed for repair while the generator itself remains on the hinged tray in the coach.

nuggetshooter

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
That is very welcome news and I was wondering about that...

nuggetshooter

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
Yep, tight, but can get to it.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
I made a pair of sawhorses the height of the generator and wide enough to fit under the generator and out the access hatch.  Then I disconnected the pan from the motorhome and slid it and the generator sideways through the access door to work on it.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
When I had to change the starter on my Onan KY 4000 generator I used a motorcycle jack like this one to lower it to the point where I could lift the cover and reach over it to change the starter.
https://smile.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Scooter/dp/B01M33H1RE/

2002 Safari Trek 2830