rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Help identifying a smell  (Read 4521 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
Re: Help identifying a smell
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
Or they can come down the vent at any time.  Just one more reason to put some kind of chemical in the tank.
Maybe it is the smell of the chemical that attracts the flies.

Ksummers

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
What chemical is that?
Ksummers

Ksummers

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
We haven't smelled that smell since we emptied both tanks the next day.  We have been leaving the gray open until a day or two before we want to empty the black and then we close.  We have been keeping the black closed.

We have noticed a few times that if it's been more than a few days since we have emptied that there is a leak under the camper, just a slight drip.  I know this can't be good, I need to look at our manual but was thinking it may have an overflow tank and that's what's leaking????

Oh..no...flies, birds...bugs... don't say it
Ksummers

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »
You can also have a toilet paper pyramid.  It occurs for the same reasons a poop pyramid occurs--liquids flow through the TP leaving undissolved solids.  I had one after grandchildren visited and used way too much toilet paper.  I could tell it was TP by shutting off the water and looking down the toilet with a flashlight.  You can't do this with all RV toilets but you can do it with many.  I saw a pile of white stuff.  Anyway, it look adding water, stirring with a strong stick, flushing, adding more water, driving on a bumping road and doing a lot of swerving and hard stops.  (Choose a deserted road for these maneuvers as you will attract attention otherwise.) 

It took a couple of days to get the paper completely dissolved and flushed out.  Grandkids are older now and easier to lecture, so has not happened since.

Just a weird idea--you aren't camped in the desert, are you?  There is something called a creosote bush that smells like an electrical fire when wet.  I washed my motorhome in the desert once and got a bush wet.  Walked all around my rig, looking under and in bins for the fire until I realized it was the bush.  Those smell a little like vicks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:09:24 PM by JudyJB »
Full-timing for over eight years and 145,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 12:33:00 AM »
What chemical is that?
The chemicals that are in the solutions that get added to the tank to keep it from smelling. The blue junk is the most popular but there are many others on the market.